Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2016, 08:51 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,848,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRebel View Post
The faster a person drops off of unemployment, the faster the unemployment "numbers" go down.. The easier they can claim NC unemployment is "low"...
Actually, unemployment insurance has NOTHING to do with the Unemployment rate for a state, which is a national statistic.

It's based on surveys of who is LOOKING for a job and doesn't have one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2016, 09:03 PM

1,965 posts, read 3,315,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrishawke View Post
So what is this BS from corporations and gov't that they don't have enough qualified applicants to fill the roles? So many local people that need jobs, yet they keep getting outsourced or in-sourced via Visa programs.
There is tremendous political pressure to continue doing this - it benefits upper management and keeps labor costs "down" on balance sheets that is. Never mind deteriorating quality and huge risk to intellectual property loss.

In the recent GOP primary the candidate that won the vast majority of votes in Wake county favored increasing the H1B Visa program by 500%! Apparently many in the area think being outsourced is a great thing.

Old 03-20-2016, 09:08 PM

628 posts, read 820,617 times
Of course tell that to many of the recent STEM graduates who invested much time and money to get into a high tech field only to be underemployed and outclassed by H1Bs with many years of experience and do not need to be paid for training.

Quote:
There is tremendous political pressure to continue doing this - it benefits upper management and keeps labor costs "down" on balance sheets that is. Never mind deteriorating quality and huge risk to intellectual property loss.

In the recent GOP primary the candidate that won the vast majority of votes in Wake county favored increasing the H1B Visa program by 500%! Apparently many in the area think being outsourced is a great thing.

Old 03-20-2016, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Actually, unemployment insurance has NOTHING to do with the Unemployment rate for a state, which is a national statistic.

It's based on surveys of who is LOOKING for a job and doesn't have one.
I stand corrected then..

Nevertheless, I still feel the CPS method that actually use according to your link has even more potential for manipulation..

Old 03-20-2016, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Of course tell that to many of the recent STEM graduates who invested much time and money to get into a high tech field only to be underemployed and outclassed by H1Bs with many years of experience and do not need to be paid for training.
As someone who has been in the industry for around three decades I would like to clarify this:

When they first arrived, the foreign scientists represented the best their respective countries had to offer. As the years passed, their numbers increased and the quality decreased..

Now I am witness to poor quality work, horribly written technical documents, unscrupulous behavior, industrial espionage, and the most blatant acts of discrimination I have ever seen (Chinese being the worst offenders). You are not outclassed, believe me - just undercut and betrayed...

Old 03-20-2016, 11:03 PM

3,241 posts, read 3,549,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Cheaper labor. Labor that cannot quit easily for a better job or more money.
This x1000. Plenty of qualified people, or who could become qualified in a very short period of time, but not at entry level wages. Companies want H1B's so they can have the person work in the US (to avoid the stigma of offshoring and get the resource in a US time zone) but want to pay offshore wages. The H1Bs fit the bill because they will work for less and cannot easily move jobs because they will be kicked out of the country.

Old 03-20-2016, 11:46 PM

34,941 posts, read 36,305,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapdad00 View Post
This x1000. Plenty of qualified people, or who could become qualified in a very short period of time, but not at entry level wages. Companies want H1B's so they can have the person work in the US (to avoid the stigma of offshoring and get the resource in a US time zone) but want to pay offshore wages. The H1Bs fit the bill because they will work for less and cannot easily move jobs because they will be kicked out of the country.
I think the whole H1B program needs to be revamped.

As long as the program remains in its current form, wages will stay lower. It's unfair to everyone BUT corporations.

Old 03-20-2016, 11:59 PM

628 posts, read 820,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I think the whole H1B program needs to be revamped.
It should of been scrapped ever since corporations started abusing it, but the current wave of politicians want to only increase it.

Old 03-21-2016, 01:31 AM

1,527 posts, read 1,483,639 times
Quote:
It should of been scrapped ever since corporations started abusing it, but the current wave of politicians want to only increase it.
Yes, I see many employment ads designed to not produce an applicant here but to create the fiction that nobody here wants the job. Then, the employer brings in a visa candidate to work cheap.

All these visas need to be ended,

When I worked at Mobil Oil, I was sent for a postgrad course to become an analyst after acing an aptitude test while working in the credit department. In USPS, many IT analysts started in the field and rose through education.

That's how we got people who not only knew IT but understood the business model.

Old 03-22-2016, 10:59 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,848,737 times
Quote:
I stand corrected then..

Nevertheless, I still feel the CPS method that actually use according to your link has even more potential for manipulation..
No worries, it's a common misconception. And yes, it underestimates the actual number of people who'd like a job, because many give up and are then considered "no longer in the job market", so they're not in the denominator anymore. Or people who got laid off as systems analysts who are now Wal-Mart greeters 2 days a week--still considered "employed".

But, especially in a state like NC with some of the harshest unemployment insurance rules (cutting the length of time you can receive it, etc), judging "unemployment" by who is receiving unemployment checks vastly underestimates those who are very much unemployed but for any of many reasons aren't getting unemployment checks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary