Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2008, 04:49 AM

4 posts, read 23,209 times

Advertisements

We currently have a 2000 sqft home in Cary. We want to move into a larger ~2800-3200 sqft home. We are looking in North Raleigh/Wake Forest area to stay at a budget of $250-290K.

We had an agent at our house to get an idea of what we would have to do to put in on the market. The agent was very professional but did not want to give us a lot of feedback on the communities we were considering. Since we are in no rush to sell we want to make sure we don't sell out existing house and then regret our decision if all he has is negative feedback for the new home communities we are look at. I understand that if we sign with him I am sure we can get the information but then we are also under contract. All I was told was we will have no problem finding a new house. Is this sort of typical of other agents I will bring in?

So here are the communities we are considering:
Massey Preserve
Stonegate
Carlton Park/Landings at Neuse Crossing
Are they any other similar ones in the area we should be looking at?

What are people opinions of the above communities?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2008, 05:10 AM

43,324 posts, read 77,177,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hal3146 View Post
We currently have a 2000 sqft home in Cary. We want to move into a larger ~2800-3200 sqft home. We are looking in North Raleigh/Wake Forest area to stay at a budget of $250-290K.

We had an agent at our house to get an idea of what we would have to do to put in on the market. The agent was very professional but did not want to give us a lot of feedback on the communities we were considering. Since we are in no rush to sell we want to make sure we don't sell out existing house and then regret our decision if all he has is negative feedback for the new home communities we are look at. I understand that if we sign with him I am sure we can get the information but then we are also under contract. All I was told was we will have no problem finding a new house. Is this sort of typical of other agents I will bring in?

Massey Preserve
Stonegate

Thanks
The agent may have not been withholding information.
The agent just may not know enough detail to share.
No shame in that.
It is difficult to offer a lot of information in great detail on every subdivision in Wake County. There are just too many, and it is easy to err.

And, yes, the agent may have been holding back, preferring to be engaged as your agent prior to giving a ton of free information.
One school of thought says not to tell in great detail what needs to be done to a home to sell it until after the listing agreement is signed. That knowledge is value that an agent brings to the table.
And some prefer to show some knowledge and offer some substance from a perspective of good will.

So... really, who knows what the agent was thinking...?

Old 01-09-2008, 06:23 AM

4 posts, read 23,209 times
The agent did walk through and say not much needs to be done but gave no specific detail. That was one issue I had. I was not looking for the information to do FSBO or anything but since our move is something we would like to do not have to do I wanted some more information. Also, I did not want to sign with an agent and then find that there is a bunch of little things that need to be done that add up to a lot of time or $$.

I know that this is a rough time to sell a house. I feel that we are in a good price range ~245-250K in Cary with a 4 bedroom house that backs to woods. But since we don't have to move I did want some more information on whether it is really a good idea to move now or wait a year or two and see what happens.

Plus, we have a 1 year old at home. It will not be easy to keep the house in showing condition. I would like to know what more specifically agents expect from the homeowner as far as keeping the house in showing condition.

I would almost be willing to sign a contract to sell the house and use the agent to purchase the new home if I could put some stipulation along the lines of if we decide to pull it off the market there would be no penalty other then we could not relist it for some period of time.

Old 01-09-2008, 09:34 AM

43,324 posts, read 77,177,570 times
Quote:
The agent did walk through and say not much needs to be done but gave no specific detail. That was one issue I had. I was not looking for the information to do FSBO or anything but since our move is something we would like to do not have to do I wanted some more information. Also, I did not want to sign with an agent and then find that there is a bunch of little things that need to be done that add up to a lot of time or $$.

I know that this is a rough time to sell a house. I feel that we are in a good price range ~245-250K in Cary with a 4 bedroom house that backs to woods. But since we don't have to move I did want some more information on whether it is really a good idea to move now or wait a year or two and see what happens.

Plus, we have a 1 year old at home. It will not be easy to keep the house in showing condition. I would like to know what more specifically agents expect from the homeowner as far as keeping the house in showing condition.

I would almost be willing to sign a contract to sell the house and use the agent to purchase the new home if I could put some stipulation along the lines of if we decide to pull it off the market there would be no penalty other then we could not relist it for some period of time.
$245,000--$250,000 for four bedrooms is an excellent price range to be selling currently in Cary.
Under $300,000 is the strongest market in town.
A lot of the inventory is beat-up or otherwise compromised.

The opportunity to buy is worth contemplation, including plusses and minuses. If you prefer the location in N Raleigh or Wake Forest for good personal reasons, you may do OK.
It is worthy of a fair amount of conversation to help you decide how much you have to gain, and how determined you are for change.

As far as the agreement you seek, some agents are more flexible than others. The agreement to list would be able to be worded to fit your concerns.

Old 01-09-2008, 09:42 AM

420 posts, read 1,535,988 times
I suggest you interview several agents. Ask them to prepare a CMA, ask them how they will market your home and ask them what you need to do before putting it on the market. They should be able to provide specific examples of homes they have sold in the last 6 months. Agents do best at selling what they know---do they know your neighborhood? Finding a good selling agent may require some investigation. It is worth it.

Secondly, there is no reason to expect your selling agent to also act as your buying agent. In fact, I would separate these roles, for clarity and financial privacy. Once you find your selling agent, you may want to ask him/her for a referral to a good buyer's agent (maybe within the same company).

Old 01-09-2008, 10:34 AM

49 posts, read 232,163 times
I was just at Carlton Park, the Landings at Neuse Crossing and Massey Preserve yesterday. As you well know, the same builders (Perry and Murdock & Gannon) build in all three communities. I think they build solid "move-up" type homes with wonderful elevations...and I work for a competing national builder in the area. Carlton Park is priced just above the Landings as they will have more standard inclusions in the home...hardwoods, solid surface counters, etc. The floorplans in both communities will be similar. You may want to check out the oppty's in the Landings first as they have standing inventory on which they might negotiate. All three communities are in a solid location, though the accessibility to 540/401 is better from the Landings and Carlton Point. On the other hand, the amenities will be much better at Massey Preserve. You also might get a better community feel at Massey Preserve as it will be a stand alone community vs. the Landings and Carlton Park which are back to back behind an existing residential community...but that is all preference. I don't think you could go wrong in any of these communities. Best of luck!

Old 01-10-2008, 08:48 AM

2,376 posts, read 2,935,428 times
Quote:

Massey Preserve
Stonegate

Thanks
We moved last year to Wake Forest and had a similar budget to yours initially. We looked at all of those communities you just mentioned.

Massey preserve was nice and would be my choice of those listed above. (We didn't end up there, though, as it seemed too far away from everything such as grocery stores, etc.)

Stonegate was nice looking but do a search on this board for McCar homes or Stonegate and there is a lot of negative posts about it. For me, we ruled them out right away because they build their 2000 sq ft homes on slabs.

We didn't bother with Carlton/Landings as their lots were SSSOOOOO small and we didn't like the location. That existing neighborhood you have to drive through to get there is too run down for my tastes. My wife would not feel comfortable walking our dog in that area.

We ended up in Dansforth which is a couple miles north of Stonegate. We paid a little over $300K but we got a new house with a half-acre wooded lot and 3,000 square feet. We felt Dansforth was worth a little extra money. Thornrose is a Lennar community that connects to Dansforth and it is also nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary