Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 03:12 PM

3 posts, read 7,869 times

Advertisements

My husband and I relocating to the Raleigh area and are looking at homes near family and friends. We've been e-shown a few homes at Massey Preserve but are unsure about the surrounding area. Does anyone know where this is? According to Google maps, it is 14 minutes north of where we want to be, but close to shopping (big plus; we have 4 children and are currently taking care of my 2 in-laws).

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2008, 05:31 PM

1,489 posts, read 5,695,305 times
I am not 100% of it's exact location but have been told where it is. My only concern is which builder were you looking at in there because Perry builders has gone under? What are you trying to be close to and I may be able to suggest some neighborhoods?

Old 12-29-2008, 01:29 PM

3 posts, read 7,869 times
Thanks, coltank.

I wasn't sure about the builder, either. Looks like most of the homes are by Perry. :/
I really like the area my best friend lives in; she's right off 401 just before the 540 split. What I don't like about her area is the year-round schools. We'd like to live somewhere with traditional year schools, even if we have to pay for private school (but that is a whole other discussion ).

Old 12-30-2008, 07:46 PM

6 posts, read 20,889 times
Hey,
I have been watching this area for a while. Very nice neighborhood but we continue to do more research due to some red flags. The main builder, as stated above, Perry has gone under. Do your research carefully. The homes are beautiful both inside and out but there is a very unkept community right across the street from the entrance of the community. Construction seems to have come to a hault and there are lots of vacant lots considering this development has been around for almost two years. Some nice amenities have been promised! The mall and major highways are very close. The elementary school in the area is pretty good , not sure about the middle school, but the high school is not the best as far as SAT scores and reputation (discipline and various incidents). Just talk to a realastate agent and some of the residents to find out more info. Also check the threads listed below. I hope this helps, as this is just my honest opinion and information that I have collected through research.

Last edited by wiseteacher2009; 12-30-2008 at 09:19 PM..

Old 12-31-2008, 06:51 AM

4 posts, read 12,676 times
I purchased a Perry home last March and have had nothing but a great experiance. I spoke with one of their field reps the other day and Perry has not gone under. They are experiencing some ruff times as many builders are but have not gone under. They are still going through a restructuring period and are trying to get things worked out with the banks. It seems that the people that have helped create this crisis are also the ones dragging their feet in coming up with solutions.

Old 01-01-2009, 09:16 AM

6 posts, read 20,889 times
Hello,
Quick correction, as I must make sure that I am not saying anything false.
"Perry is having a bit of financial difficulties right now and recently had a mass layoff. According to the Triangle Business Journal they have a significant number of liens placed on their homes by subcontractors that are waiting to be paid." Upon further research you will notice that someone has posted about the above topic stating that they received a certified letter in the mail concerning the above issue. So technically they have not gone under but in my personalopinion it does not seem like something that I would want to deal with at this time in my life. There are plenty of agents that have additional information about these properties. Just thought I would add the correction to clear the any misconceptions! Hope that it helps!

Old 01-01-2009, 10:38 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,249,243 times
I went to a closing yesterday with my clients. The closing attorney mentioned that he has helped ALOT of subs put liens against ALOT of the builders, in town.

I had asked him about St. Lawrence only because I have a client considering one of their homes.

The attorney's advise was to make sure there are no current liens against any property that you are considering since you will not get title to the property until all liens have been paid.

What a mess.

Vicki

Old 06-08-2009, 01:01 PM

776 posts, read 1,684,559 times
I've resurrected this thread after taking a drive thru Massey Preserve yesterday. I live in the development just north of Massey Preserve in the Enclave at Forestville Farms and I've kept a close eye on the development.

I'm wondering if anyone has heard anything about Perry and the state of Massey Preserve lately? Driving thru...it's really depressing seeing this community with only a few dozen homes surrounded by empty lots with just overgrown weeds and at least a dozen unfinished homes, some that looked like rotting skeletons and appear to have been sitting for quite some time. It seems like they'll have to tear these structures down at some point. I also just saw that the Massey Preserve demo home, which I believe was the office, is now for sale. Not a good sign.

The same can be said for a small section of The Landings, which is a development just to the north of me...which I also believe was a Perry project.

I know with the economy the way it is, it may be awhile before anything gets done in these communities, but it was just depressing driving through Massey.

Old 02-28-2010, 11:08 PM

776 posts, read 1,684,559 times
I have a little update on Massey Preserve.

I just drove thru there today...and it seems like there is finally some activity. There are Massey Preserve signs all up and down Forestville Rd with homes starting at $170K (which I think is lower than the original minimum prices from 2 years ago). The demo house/office appears to be open again, and I've seen about 6-10 new houses being built or for sale. I see Murdock/Gannon signs everywhere, so I guess that's who is developing it.

There are a few "reminders" of the Great Recession though. There are about 2 or 3 unfinished houses still standing from about 2 years ago when the builder pulled out. No siding or windows...they just look like skeletons. They look in REAL bad shape and will obviously need to be torn down. The holes where the windows would go are boarded up, I assume to make sure no one ventures inside since it's probably really unsafe. They oughta just tear the eyesores down, especially since they're trying to sell homes.

Old 03-01-2010, 08:38 AM

502 posts, read 1,655,114 times
^^^ Thanks for the update. I'm glad to see there's hope for Massey Preserve because it's a good area. I haven't driven inside of it in about six months and have been meaning to check it out when I noticed some activity recently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary