Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 07:01 AM

59 posts, read 184,863 times

Advertisements

Searching for new construction homes in the north Raleigh area and came across Massey Preserve. Couldnt find much info on it online. With homes of 2000+ sq ft for right at 200k, what's the catch? Do the mobile homes across the street from the main entrance effect the neighborhood that bad?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2012, 10:48 AM

4,532 posts, read 8,868,030 times
No, has nothing to do with the mobile homes. I watched that neighborhood as they put it in and have seen it struggle since the economy tanked. It did well at first. However, some of the builders who were in it at first were really hit hard by the economy and weren't able to finish up some homes. They sat for a while. When I last checked last year, they still had not put in the pool. The homeowners were going to vote on doing it themselves...or something like this? This same scenario has been repeated around the triangle, even as far away as Apex. The homes are nice. I like the trim detail in the models I saw. When they first opened, I strongly considered buying there as it backs up to the Neuse River, has a couple of ponds, and had plans for walking trails, playgrounds, etc. I would ask some current owners about the status of these things. Perhaps a new developer will complete these things. If so, it would be a place long term. If the new homes are selling for $200k and this is the price they'll finish out the subdivision, then this is good. But if they'll finish it out with cheaper homes, and not do the pool, trails, etc.... then I do more research on it. It is a very quiet and clean neighborhood from what I've seen.

Old 01-16-2012, 11:50 AM

1,188 posts, read 2,544,562 times
That's more NE Raleigh than N Raleigh... NE Raleigh has always struggled. Lower prices attract lower income folks who don't spend the money to keep the places looking nice. Couple that with a half-finished subdivision and you have a less desirable neighborhood.

Old 01-16-2012, 12:17 PM

776 posts, read 1,684,172 times
I live in a subdivision near Massey.

Yeah, this was a subdivision that had big plans back in 2006...4 or 5 Tier Phase project...$200K+ homes, swimming pool, clubhouse, walking trails, playgrounds, etc. The recession hit, and I think the developers went bankrupt during the first phase. For a few years, you had a couple skeleton houses just sitting there rotting...and empty lots full of tall weeds. I felt awful for those homeowners that got in there early. It didn't make matters any better when last April's tornado tore a path right through the subdivision. Quite a few houses took major damage, but thankfully, compared to other houses on the tornado's path...they lucked out.

Since then...a new demo home has been built, I see "for sale" signs everywhere, more houses are being built and clubhouse and pool is done. Looks like it's finally coming together, though I believe the full scale plans for developing Massey aren't going to happen, at least not in this economy.

It's a great area. Crime has been minimal, you've got Lowes Food, a good BBQ restaurant, good chinese restaurant, and Subway, just up the street. Gas station (Wake Crossroads) even closer. In my 6 years in this area, I've never heard anything bad about the trailer park. They also had a rough time with that tornado and the park now looks a little disorganized. But the people there all seem nice. I have heard talk about that trailer park going away at some point...likely used for another cookie cutter home subdivision. That talk kinda stopped when the recession really hit, but that may end up happening at some point.

Old 08-29-2013, 02:47 PM

21 posts, read 32,090 times
I see these posts are form 2007-2009, now that its 2013...any new information? Im looking in that area as well. I really would love to find a neighborhood with lots of kids. Realtors are not allowed to give out that information.
If you moved to one of the communities in this area, what are some things you like and dislike?

Old 08-29-2013, 03:13 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,438,544 times
Lack of development in the area is a little concerning. Lack of tenants in Forestville Crossings. I like that its quiet but resale is questionable due to lack of demand for housing in the area. Lots of homes in the area but no real demand for them IMO. You have to go to Capital Blvd or Wake Forest to get the normal retail stores. Just kinda a pain, I wish Rolesville was a little more built up. There is an auto parts store and Post Office is about all, and the woman at the PO is a witch, typical government employee...

Old 08-30-2013, 07:31 AM

17 posts, read 34,741 times
Default We considered Massey Preserve

But in the end, decided the houses were too dense/close together. I thought the construction and finishes were well done for the price point, but again, the lots were too small. Our last two houses had 1/2 acre lots, and it was just too much of an adjustment to go to .10 or .12 acres.

We ended up buying a house with a .25 lot; a little smaller than the house in Massey, but the yard space and privacy from neighbors was more important to us.

I drove around and didn't think the shopping was too far; I found the drive to Triangle Town to be less than 10 minutes and there were a couple of carry-outs/convenience stores nearby.

Good luck. The housing market down there is much different than what we were used to in the Midwest.

Old 08-30-2013, 12:08 PM

208 posts, read 414,822 times
Isn't Massey Preserve now a Beazer Community?

Old 08-30-2013, 12:34 PM

5,135 posts, read 3,750,579 times
According to their own website it is.

Old 08-30-2013, 05:57 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,438,544 times
Found out today a Family Dollar is going in down by Ernie Lee's, and an affordable housing development is going in across from Planet Fitness.

Crime has been almost non-existent for now. In fact in our 220 unit development, there are 2 detectives, one SWAT guy, and about 6 more regular police officers. Also several firefighters.

Unfortunate. There is a saying...there goes the neighborhood. Why the city approved that area for those developments is both frustrating and depressing, because I will live so close to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary