Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 01:10 PM

83 posts, read 149,515 times

Advertisements

Looking for some advice from recent grads/parents or those in the know regarding high schools in the Triangle. I have 4 kiddos and am not going the private school route. Don't think NCSSM is a "good fit" for us.

For the sake of argument, let's say getting admitted to one of the following schools isn't an issue.

That being said...

I'm looking at Enloe vs. Raleigh Charter. Also bouncing around the Early College STEM school.

DS would like to pursue engineering at NC State.

Would love to see stats on Enloe broken out between the IB/AP students and the base kids so that you can really get a feel for how they compete. I believe the latest Newsweek ranking reflected that Raleigh Charter had slightly better AP scores.

Anyone have any recent experience with either school? Really good teachers? Success in Math/Science areas? Placements in top math/science colleges?

Also anybody know how many STEM EC kids are actually coming out with 15-30 hrs of college credit that you can supposedly get at that school?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2014, 01:49 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,337,486 times
Raleigh Charter is often mentioned on various best high school lists. There was a thread recently that had the SAT scores for schools in the area and Raleigh Charter scored very well, you can search for the thread for Enloe's score. My friend's daughter is currently attending Raleigh Charter and they are very happy with the school.

Old 01-06-2014, 01:49 PM

2,991 posts, read 4,286,774 times
Say Charter has better AP scores than Enloe, in the aggregate -- does that mean that your individual kid will have better AP scores if he attends Charter rather than Enloe? It may be that most of the schools have enough oomph to enable your kid to reach his personal potential, and that the particular choice of school will make little difference.

Being somewhat involved with several of the aforementioned schools, it is my personal prejudice that I would not send a kid to Enloe on a bet. Contrary to the hype that appears in the press about its excellence, I believe that the day-to-day routine is dominated by the two-thirds of the student body that comes from the base, and that many of these kids from the base are really bad news. Moreover, it has been my experience that the honors graduates are pumped so full of baloney about how gifted they are that many of them are terribly overconfident when they graduate. For example, one expounded upon her deep knowledge of differential equations, and then told me that she had flunked out of State in her first year.

I am not a big fan of overly specialized high school educations (it's just one opinion). What was the point of said girl studying differential equations, which were clearly way over her head as a high school student? What did it accomplish? She would have been better off with more and better instruction in English, history, or a foreign language at that stage of her life.

By the way -- and this is really controversial -- I believe that the quality of the students at NCSSM varies greatly. There is an implicit quota system that ensures representation from a wide swath of NC's hundred counties. In other words, places often seem to go to unqualified kids from out-of-the-way counties so that Wake and Mecklenburg don't dominate the student body. Some of these kids are really not that bright.

Old 01-06-2014, 03:28 PM

46 posts, read 91,162 times
I know of someone with experience at both Enloe and Raleigh Charter. They said that at Enloe the kids seemed to always be jockeying for position with each other, but that Raleigh Charter has a very supportive and collaborative environment. I have no direct experience with either though.

Old 01-06-2014, 06:37 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,866,443 times
Hamish is right on many points. I'll add, It has long been known that many, not all, of course, of the base kids there are resentful of the better-prepared kid shipped in from elsewhere. This can make them a target for theft and other issues. I've heard that the kids self-segregate generally along these lines. If your child can handle this type of environment, then all is well.

I understand you posed the Enloe scenario as a "what if", sounds like you might have a plan to get your child admitted to Enloe? If you are in the base area, you should be in good shape. If not, they often only have a couple of slots open per year.

I wish you luck with this, it can be so stressful!

Old 01-07-2014, 08:39 AM

83 posts, read 149,515 times
@RaleighLass - I was able to get him into Ligon AG so he is slated for Enloe. He's used to the base/magnet divide. I actually thought there were more magnet kids at Enloe than base, so that's interesting news.

We have to carpool to Ligon and my hubby would rather not spend another 2-3 years driving (Raleigh Charter is on your own or carpool).

I had heard really good things about Raleigh Charter and wasn't sure if we should apply in the lottery or just stay with our spot at Enloe.

I do believe kids can make the most of the opportunity that's provided to them. I also believe some students benefit by being in the "right place at the right time". I'd like to provide my child with as many of those right place opportunities. Just trying to figure out what might be best for him.

Thanks guys for the input. More opinions welcome

Old 01-07-2014, 09:20 AM

1,277 posts, read 3,546,799 times
If you can get into raleigh charter, then it is a no-brainer -- just go. it is worth the tour though to see if it a decent fit.

Enloe will be getting better now that they have a decent principal again. Scott Lyons was very well respected at Ligon, then left to be at Leesville and is now at Enloe (yay!). why does it matter? Well, the community/base knows him and likes him and supports the staff again... The prior principal & ass't principal (by all accounts) was such a disaster that I decided not to send my DD and teachers were fleeing. so it may take some unwinding to get back on to the great stats again...but if your child qualifies for AG and is lined up to be in honors classes, then I wouldn't hesitate. It is a school within a school still, despite best efforts - the academic gap is very wide, just as it is at ligon.

but if you get into RC, then go. It is worth the lottery. nationally ranked. kids are decent. teachers great. yadda yadda.

Old 01-07-2014, 10:26 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,446,794 times
Keep in mind that your child will likely be driving soon. Make sure that you are ok with where the other students live (distance-wise) for when your child will be driving to and from their homes.

Old 01-07-2014, 11:23 AM

137 posts, read 306,171 times
I just transferred my child out of Enloe. I was very disappointed with most of the teaching staff and other things that went on there.

If I had a chance at Raleigh Charter, I would take it in a heartbeat. We tried for the lottery, but didn't get a spot.

Old 01-08-2014, 12:28 PM

226 posts, read 609,937 times
My daughter goes to RCHS and absolutely loves it. The class sizes are small and the teachers are wonderful. It's a very supportive environment for kids who want to learn. The student base is diverse and the kids learn through real world scenarios and hands on projects. She usually has 2-3 hours of homework per night and the tests and quizzes can be tough. She's been getting all A's with an occasional B. I attribute this to the conducive learning environment and the excellent teaching staff, plus she's a pretty smart kid to begin with : )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary