Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2008, 06:07 PM

1 posts, read 5,269 times

Advertisements

I am looking for a high school for my rising-9th-grade son and have these options: Raleigh Charter, Enloe or Green Hope. What do you recommend as the best over the others? Why?

- RCHS and Enloe are nationally ranked, but Green Hope also shows pretty good ABC and SAT scores (better than Enloe!).
- RCHS has very high rank, but it seems not getting students to the Ivys
- Enloe have some very talented students, but also a large portion of the students does not do well, dragging down the school's overall SAT and ABC scores.

My target house will be in Cary, so Green Hope will be much easier for transportation, but I wouldn't mind the extra efforts if the other two can provide real benefits over Green Hope.

Thank you very much for your suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2008, 06:18 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,760,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustNewToArea View Post
I am looking for a high school for my rising-9th-grade son and have these options: Raleigh Charter, Enloe or Green Hope. What do you recommend as the best over the others? Why?

- RCHS and Enloe are nationally ranked, but Green Hope also shows pretty good ABC and SAT scores (better than Enloe!).
- RCHS has very high rank, but it seems not getting students to the Ivys
- Enloe have some very talented students, but also a large portion of the students does not do well, dragging down the school's overall SAT and ABC scores.

My target house will be in Cary, so Green Hope will be much easier for transportation, but I wouldn't mind the extra efforts if the other two can provide real benefits over Green Hope.

Thank you very much for your suggestions.
According to their website Raleigh Charter has completed there lottery admissions for 08/09 and their first day of school is August 12th. Given these 2 things I would think unless you have a prior acceptance, getting into RCHS will be very difficult for 08/09. Most Charters have long waiting lists. It might be a good idea to call. This might narrow down your choices.

Old 07-20-2008, 06:23 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,117,818 times
Personally I'd pick Enloe if I had a choice because of the higher diversity and more classes to choose from, but all are good. Both of my brothers went to Enloe and just loved it.
The thing is that with RCHS and Enloe, you have no idea if you'll ever get in and if you do, it wouldn't be until next year.

Old 07-20-2008, 07:09 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,828,399 times
I like Enloe as well. Very diverse...tremendous choice of classes...transportation from all across the County and great teachers as well.

Old 07-21-2008, 05:06 AM

718 posts, read 2,974,430 times
It is my understanding that Enloe is also lottery based. If you are moving to Cary and want GreenHope as a option then you need to move to a neighborhood that is zoned for GreenHope HS. I would then apply to Enloe and Raleigh and see if your son gets in and then make your decision. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary