Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2012, 10:37 PM

3 posts, read 20,174 times

Advertisements

Hi there. We are moving to Cary next summer and we are looking for a good place to live with good neighborhood and good schools. We have 2 boys (8th and 6th grade next year). We have searched a lot from the internet and the information we got are very diversified. So I really appreciate some honest opinions from parents or students from Panther Creek, Green Hope or Apex High School about the environment, drugs, violence, teachers....

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 03-16-2012 at 03:53 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2012, 06:26 AM

1,751 posts, read 3,688,178 times
All three high schools are very good.

If I were you I would be much more worried about the middle schools. You can buy a house that will feed to panther creek or GH, but end up going to middle school on the far side of town. There is going to be a new middle school built someday...but that would just mean your 6th grader will probably get moved from one middle school to another.

Safest bet for consistency and sane transportation is Apex.

Old 03-16-2012, 09:01 AM

1,832 posts, read 5,090,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by librarySue View Post
All three high schools are very good.

If I were you I would be much more worried about the middle schools. You can buy a house that will feed to panther creek or GH, but end up going to middle school on the far side of town. There is going to be a new middle school built someday...but that would just mean your 6th grader will probably get moved from one middle school to another.

Safest bet for consistency and sane transportation is Apex.
Yep. Exactly.

Old 03-16-2012, 09:05 AM

12 posts, read 30,142 times
All of them are good schools. We as a parents didn't hear anything negative so far.

Though the chances of getting into Green Hope and Panther Creek are slimmer because of the limited seats. As you must be aware by now that a specific home address will not surely get you a seat at a particular school.

Old 03-16-2012, 10:12 AM

Thank you everyone for your reply. I have read a lot in the internet and also in some reviews and forums and the information I got is Panther Creek has some violent cases and Green Hope is famous by drugs and competitive. I haven't read very much about Apex. What do you think as a resident? In fact I wasn't worry about Middle schools because seems are very good, but after reading your reply, maybe I need to rethink about it.

Old 03-16-2012, 10:44 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
All schools are going to have their elements that are druggie, gangsta-wanna-be, etc etc. There is no escaping despite what anyone thinks and that includes private schools.

My sister's kids go to Apex and she's been happy with it.

I agree with the above posters though - you do undestand that you may not get a seat at your "local" HS just because you live in that neighborhood with the new school plan, right?

Old 03-16-2012, 11:32 AM

906 posts, read 2,381,703 times
I have a friend whose kids are at Panther Creek and they are very happy there. I know that PC and Green Hope both have really great marching bands if your kids are into that.

I've heard the rumors about drugs at Green Hope but I've heard it about a lot of the high schools--wealthier, lower income, and private. I think being able to make the rhyme "Green Dope" makes that label stick more.

Have you looked at the curriculum at each school? That might help you decide which hs might be a better fit. For instance, we are supposed to attend Millbrook High under this new plan but they don't offer Computer Science classes. We're applying for Wakefield for our rising 9th grader so he can have access to comp sci.

Some schools have special academies--medical science, finance, computers, engineering, construction, automotive, etc. If there's a certain language your kids want to study, that might make a difference. Pretty much everybody's got French & Spanish, but some offer German and/or Latin as well. I'm not familiar with the 3 schools you're looking at, but their websites should have a list of all the courses they offer.

Old 03-16-2012, 06:03 PM

39 posts, read 95,106 times
Moving down to a county run school system...we have found the schools tend to be about the same. You will find the same type of problems in all the schools and I'm sure depending on the year...some will be worst then others....or better.

At one point because of where we lived, we had one child at PC and one at Apex High. We ended up putting them both at Apex High only because I felt the school was more established with seasoned teachers. That was several years ago when PC had just opened.

Re: Middle Schools.... we have been happy with both Salem middle and apex middle

Old 03-16-2012, 10:45 PM

If probably I may not get seat at the "local" High School, what should I do first? We are moving from Los Angeles to Cary. Should I look for houses or for school first?

Old 03-16-2012, 11:06 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,249,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynahc View Post
If probably I may not get seat at the "local" High School, what should I do first? We are moving from Los Angeles to Cary. Should I look for houses or for school first?
Houses. You can look up the current options for schools by address for each house.

Does not mean you'll get your first choice school. It's more to let you avoid houses where there's a school you do NOT want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary