Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 05:55 PM

5 posts, read 10,253 times

Advertisements

If you're privileged to enter all three great schools ie RCHS, GHHS and Enloe, what will you pick and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2014, 06:27 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,701,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durumi View Post
If you're privileged to enter all three great schools ie RCHS, GHHS and Enloe, what will you pick and why?
It depends on your child. My daughter is an Enloe grad.....and we checked out Raleigh charter and it wasn't a good fit.....for her. She did have several friends that went..they liked it as much as we loved Enloe. Only one girl didn't thrive there (her parents later admitted they pushed her there..... they knew it wasn't a good fit....but thought it was it would be 'more academic' then Enloe - turns out the classes were about the same...but the high achieving peer pressure was off the charts at RC - and it has as much drugs as any other high school)....so she came back to Enloe....and did well there.

I assume you've toured the schools....be honest with yourself and listen to your child....and make up your mind that way. All are good schools.

Old 04-19-2014, 07:10 PM

137 posts, read 306,171 times
I would definitely choose Raleigh Charter over Enloe. We toured RC, but did not make the lottery and ended up going to Enloe.

RC was much smaller and I was really impressed with the teachers and what they had to offer. It seemed like a little family there with a lot of opportunity to succeed.

We ended up transferring back to our base from Enloe.

Old 04-19-2014, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laxmom2 View Post
I would definitely choose Raleigh Charter over Enloe. We toured RC, but did not make the lottery and ended up going to Enloe.

RC was much smaller and I was really impressed with the teachers and what they had to offer. It seemed like a little family there with a lot of opportunity to succeed.

We ended up transferring back to our base from Enloe.
It was that 'little family' that resulted in lots of peer and self pressure....the girl was an over achiever to begin with.....RC was big on 'encouraging' her to do more, to be 'more' perfect...it was never enough. A parent needs to make sure their child will thrive with that and not ruin their health as almost happened.

Old 04-20-2014, 03:39 PM

5 posts, read 10,253 times
Thank you all for feedback, appreciate it!

Old 04-21-2014, 08:30 AM

108 posts, read 151,797 times
You also mentioned Early College. I teach at Wake Tech. I've had just one Early College student, but his performance is enough to convince me this is a good program that attracts bright students. Check it out - it could free up time, money or both for your kids as they further their educations.

Old 04-21-2014, 01:14 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,337,486 times
One thing to look at with respect to Raleigh Charter vs Green Hope and Enloe is class size and over-crowding. many charters are known for smaller class sizes and are not facing the issue that Wake County schools are with schools that need to be capped.

I think it is a valid point that not all students thrive in an ultra competitive environment, however not many kids benefit from over crowded classrooms either.

Old 04-21-2014, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_M View Post
One thing to look at with respect to Raleigh Charter vs Green Hope and Enloe is class size and over-crowding. many charters are known for smaller class sizes and are not facing the issue that Wake County schools are with schools that need to be capped.

I think it is a valid point that not all students thrive in an ultra competitive environment, however not many kids benefit from over crowded classrooms either.
She graduated last year.....but we had no complaints about classroom size at Enloe. Some of the core classes were in the high 20s especially 9th and 10th.....but we felt the teachers certainly could handle that and she got the attention needed.

Old 04-21-2014, 02:03 PM

129 posts, read 178,893 times
As a teacher let me say that it is my belief that the most important determining factor you should look at is class size, class size, class size!!!!! No matter how amazing a teacher may be they only can give one-on-one attention to so many students in a 45 (or 90 if you're on a block schedule) minute period.

Last edited by Hhlebiczki; 04-21-2014 at 02:03 PM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 04-21-2014, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hhlebiczki View Post
As a teacher let me say that it is my belief that the most important determining factor you should look at is class size, class size, class size!!!!! No matter how amazing a teacher may be they only can give one-on-one attention to so many students in a 45 (or 90 if you're on a block schedule) minute period.
Enloe does not have block scheduling......so why would you bring that up?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary