Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 08:13 AM

11,221 posts, read 8,292,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post

The three puppies are all lovely and friendly.

My eight year old dog doesn't want puppies jumping on her head. And that's her right, and it's my job to make sure that doesn't happen.

The problem with the friendly off leash dog is that it may go up to a dog that is not as friendly or just needs his/her space. Those on-leash dogs have every right to be where they are.
And to put a fine point on it:

Eight year old (law abiding) dog snaps at cute puppies for jumping on head. Kids in the neighborhood are traumatized, look at NorasMom like she's a beast, complain to animal control, an NorasMom's dog may get put down as "vicious".

it's not fair to the dog, not fair to NorasMom, not fair to the kids that have to witness that, and probably not fair to the cute little puppies who really just wanted to play. If puppies owners had them on a leash (or let them off leash in an appropriate place) none of this might happen.

so yeah, it's selfish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2015, 08:20 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,593,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
And to put a fine point on it:

Eight year old (law abiding) dog snaps at cute puppies for jumping on head. Kids in the neighborhood are traumatized, look at NorasMom like she's a beast, complain to animal control, an NorasMom's dog may get put down as "vicious".

it's not fair to the dog, not fair to NorasMom, not fair to the kids that have to witness that, and probably not fair to the cute little puppies who really just wanted to play. If puppies owners had them on a leash (or let them off leash in an appropriate place) none of this might happen.

so yeah, it's selfish.
Oh yes. Then I'd end up as the star of a CD thread about the woman who went ballistic and ended up in jail and the news after trying to save her dog by whatever means seemed ok at the time

Old 07-28-2015, 12:07 PM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
I can't tell you how many times I've been walking my dog (on leash) and had another dog snap at her and their owner tell me "I'm so sorry, he's never done that before".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigoblue View Post
When I'm hiking with my little boys and I suddenly see a dog running towards us I have a mommy version of a heart attack Please keep your dogs leashed unless you're in a dog park or in deep wilderness with noone around for miles.
Quote:
I can empathize with your sentiment too (not being snarky either), but this is suburban NC, not rural WY. It's part of the 'cost' of living in a populated area, that rules are necessary for order. The official response to you is "if letting your dogs run in the pack is so important, then you need to live somewhere that is possible".
Agree.

As far as I'm aware, all the land around here is owned and regulated. One of the regulations is that dogs need to be leashed.

Off leash dogs are not permitted outside of dog parks. It makes no difference if they are well-behaved, well-trained, few others in the park or on the greenway... it is illegal for dogs to be running loose. Period.

Last week, one of our neighbor kids was bit while trying to stop two dogs who were running loose. Our blind dog was attacked by an off-leash dog on a Cary greenway last month. SIL's dog was attacked by two off-leash dogs earlier this year. They tore chunks out of her before SIL could kick the two away. SIL got bit on the ankle.

Good Lord. What possesses people to think they are entitled to put others at risk at risk because their dogs like to run free?

Move to Montana if running free is critical to their and your happiness.

Otherwise, keep those mutts on a leash.

If the dogs need to run, run with them.

Beats the rest of us having to run from them.

Last edited by GotHereQuickAsICould; 07-28-2015 at 12:16 PM..

Old 07-28-2015, 12:23 PM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuesers View Post
.. I have just been feeling a lot of disappointment over what I was lead to believe (granted via the internet) were dog parks. I anticipated when I moved here that it would be an awesome place for my furry legged friend, but I'm finding it hard to capture the wonderful life he experienced before. When we look up a "HUGE DOG PARK" and go there, we find a large park and a tiny little cage for him to run? in. The apartment I secured has a 'dog park'. He would have a better time fetching in our living room. ...
Sorry that you were misled by iffy information on the internet. Always a good idea to visit a place before moving.

Living in an apartment is probably not the best situation for a dog who loves to roam free. Any chance you can move to a rental with a back yard at least?

Last edited by GotHereQuickAsICould; 07-28-2015 at 12:45 PM..

Old 07-28-2015, 04:47 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,272,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Agree.

Last week, one of our neighbor kids was bit while trying to stop two dogs who were running loose. Our blind dog was attacked by an off-leash dog on a Cary greenway last month. SIL's dog was attacked by two off-leash dogs earlier this year. They tore chunks out of her before SIL could kick the two away. SIL got bit on the ankle.

Good Lord. What possesses people to think they are entitled to put others at risk at risk because their dogs like to run free?
Geez I feel like I should arm myself with mace before I come down there with my dogs. I hope your SIL and her dog are ok!

Old 07-28-2015, 09:10 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
Yeah, my dog loves all the people, but does not love all the other dogs. There are a few she gets along with, but she sometimes gets very defensive (sounds like she's possessed) when other dogs are near and does not always handle dog-dog interactions well. Loves the people, but other canines, not always.

I ALWAYS have her on a leash under my control because of this issue, but if another dog comes up to her in her personal space all bets are off. Please don't have a dog off leash around her. You walk your dog on a leash and I will walk my crazy dog on a leash on the other side of the street far away from your kind, respectful dog. She can run free all she wants to in our big backyard. No dog parks for her, either. And ftr, this is the 5th dog I've owned and by far the most high strung. She's mellowed out now that she's hit middle age, but not so you'd know it unless you knew her when she was 1 or 2 and crazy as a loon.

Old 07-29-2015, 07:23 AM

2,492 posts, read 3,028,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Yeah, my dog loves all the people, but does not love all the other dogs. There are a few she gets along with, but she sometimes gets very defensive (sounds like she's possessed) when other dogs are near and does not always handle dog-dog interactions well. Loves the people, but other canines, not always.

I ALWAYS have her on a leash under my control because of this issue, but if another dog comes up to her in her personal space all bets are off. Please don't have a dog off leash around her. You walk your dog on a leash and I will walk my crazy dog on a leash on the other side of the street far away from your kind, respectful dog. She can run free all she wants to in our big backyard. No dog parks for her, either. And ftr, this is the 5th dog I've owned and by far the most high strung. She's mellowed out now that she's hit middle age, but not so you'd know it unless you knew her when she was 1 or 2 and crazy as a loon.
I have a pug that's similar. She will bark at strangers till they notice and usually pet her. I don't have to worry about bites cause her little mouth is so small(no snout) but she is very dog aggressive. She thinks she is a pit bull and will run to attack and cause all kinds of commotion. That's why I keep her on leash. I don't have the verbal control to stop her in that mode(I'm aware I should) but at least with the leash I do. My last neighborhood was dog overrun and the only dog she ever played nice with was another pug.

Old 05-23-2017, 10:54 AM

1 posts, read 578 times
Exclamation Falls Lake Leash Patrol

I am new to the area and trying to find places to hike with my dog. Went to Falls Lake Info Center on Sat. but it was closed. A map was posted showing a trail from the Info Center but I couldn't find it. When I saw a sign saying Trail Crossing, I parked right there on the shoulder and took off, yes, with my dog off-leash

When I got back, TWO patrol cars and persons were waiting for me. I was told that the illegal (no signs to this effect) parking and the no leash fines could be $250 EACH - I was told I could be taken to jail - that I could have a criminal record. They were unbelievably mean. They let me go this time, but I'm afraid of using this park ever again.

I'm recently returned to the east from RVing in OK, NM, AZ where you can park anywhere and you can get away with your well-behaved dog off-leash. I'm here to take care of my sister who is receiving cancer treatments.

I realize that 95% of all hiking trails throughout the US say dogs must be leashed. I even understand the reasons, but I just ignore the rules and accept that I might be fined. I feel it is my duty as a good dog owner to allow my dog to run free. I love going hiking with my dog - she does her thing (sniff any pee spot she can find) - I do my thing (take pix, take deep breaths) - and she stays near and under control if I call her.

Yes, no problem paying a fine if I get caught - but harranged - threatened - browbeaten?

Old 05-23-2017, 12:20 PM

11,221 posts, read 8,292,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyDogAndMe View Post
I am new to the area and trying to find places to hike with my dog. Went to Falls Lake Info Center on Sat. but it was closed. A map was posted showing a trail from the Info Center but I couldn't find it. When I saw a sign saying Trail Crossing, I parked right there on the shoulder and took off, yes, with my dog off-leash

When I got back, TWO patrol cars and persons were waiting for me. I was told that the illegal (no signs to this effect) parking and the no leash fines could be $250 EACH - I was told I could be taken to jail - that I could have a criminal record. They were unbelievably mean. They let me go this time, but I'm afraid of using this park ever again.

I'm recently returned to the east from RVing in OK, NM, AZ where you can park anywhere and you can get away with your well-behaved dog off-leash. I'm here to take care of my sister who is receiving cancer treatments.

I realize that 95% of all hiking trails throughout the US say dogs must be leashed. I even understand the reasons, but I just ignore the rules and accept that I might be fined. I feel it is my duty as a good dog owner to allow my dog to run free. I love going hiking with my dog - she does her thing (sniff any pee spot she can find) - I do my thing (take pix, take deep breaths) - and she stays near and under control if I call her.

Yes, no problem paying a fine if I get caught - but harranged - threatened - browbeaten?
I fully understand your sentiment, so I'll try to be nice about it, but the fact remains that you're wrong about that. A good dog owner does NOT let their dog off leash where it's not legal. I think it's fine if you go in the deep woods, or on private property, or where you are not likely to encounter other humans, or pets of any species. But here in the East, it is very populated and very crowded.

I used to be a "let my dogs run free" person, until I started dating a professional dog trainer.

We have three Siberian Huskies whom we walk regularly on trails and greenways. They are 100% kind, and trained beyond belief. They are friendly with other dogs, and have never attacked another dog, BUT they are still dogs. With three of them, they have a pack mentality. They are super friendly, so when another dog comes around, they all surround the dog to sniff, and say hello. If the dog gets skiddish, which is common, and growls back at our dogs at all, things can escalate quickly. Just one example. (They are kind and friendly, but would protect us (owners) with their life.)

Another example is if anyone has a dog who has anxiety. They should expect they can walk their dog as long as they keep it on a leash. But if people like you, who let their friendly dogs run free are around, their friendly dogs approach, and the law-abiding dog can't be out, because the law-breakers ruin it for them.

Sounds kinda dramatic, but the fact is that you are in a populated area, and the laws are the laws. If you want to have a dog, you need to follow the rules. If you insist on having dog off leash (and I get that), then YOU need to make the effort to go way out in the country, and take your dog where it can run. It is not fair, ethical or smart to make everyone else pay so you can give your dog special treatment.

I'm not as angry as my post sounds. I just hope you'll read it and consider the points I'm making, not my tone.

Old 05-23-2017, 12:48 PM

4,477 posts, read 11,614,607 times
Quote:
Another example is if anyone has a dog who has anxiety. They should expect they can walk their dog as long as they keep it on a leash. But if people like you, who let their friendly dogs run free are around, their friendly dogs approach, and the law-abiding dog can't be out, because the law-breakers ruin it for them.
This. I have a dog who is fear reactant - he is afraid of all dogs, whether they approach in a friendly manner or not. I can't walk him in public places because of off leash dogs. We have a little circuit we do near my house that is generally safe, although lately more people in my neighborhood think it's just fine to have their dogs loose in their front yards. The last one that charged me and my other (non-reactant) dog wasn't even wearing a collar! It's really frustrating.

Oh, and some people are scared of dogs - I was out for a run one day on the Black Creek Greenway and saw an unleashed medium sized white dog circling a woman who was clearly petrified. Of course the owners said "Don't worry, he's friendly!" Really uncool.

Sorry MyDogAndMe.. you don't get any sympathy from me.

Last edited by adlnc07; 05-23-2017 at 12:57 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary