Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 01:58 PM

5,913 posts, read 7,029,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
"Non Apple Elitist" is code for "Fandroid"
I have neither. I am stuck with an ancient BB, so I don't have a "dog in the fight".

Quote:
The 5c is priced correctly.
Not if you read the financial press. While some said the "C" was for Cheap, many thought it was for "Chinese". Apple has a 12% market share in smartphones vs 80% for Android. One of their few opportunities for growth is the massive market in China. The press was hoping for a device the Chinese could afford, but the price for the 5C there is even higher than in the US. That was a big part of their big stock drop after the official announcement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2013, 02:04 PM

34,941 posts, read 36,373,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
I have neither. I am stuck with an ancient BB, so I don't have a "dog in the fight".

Not if you read the financial press. While some said the "C" was for Cheap, many thought it was for "Chinese". Apple has a 12% market share in smartphones vs 80% for Android. One of their few opportunities for growth is the massive market in China. The press was hoping for a device the Chinese could afford, but the price for the 5C there is even higher than in the US. That was a big part of their big stock drop after the official announcement.
Oh, I wasn't implying that you were a Fandroid of any kind. Just saying that these sources that are supposed to be unbiased often are planted by Android. Apple fans do the same thing, though. That said:

Let us rework those figures.

Apple is "iPhone" and "iOS7"

"Android" is an operating system used by MANY phones.

Hardly a fair set of statistics, right? If I pick just one phone running Android OS (any one I choose) I can argue that Apple is superior to Android.

Even if it's not true.

At the moment, you are correct. Android phones outsell iOS phones. But, since there are so many varieties and they are cheaper, this is hardly shocking.

I think that the 5c will wind up selling well. I'm not sure that Apple has figured out yet out to make a cheap phone and still feel good about putting their name on it.

Old 09-17-2013, 04:16 PM

1,521 posts, read 2,770,938 times
Quote:
I'm gonna trade my 5. It's 64gb and those don't make much extra money. Trade is 400 for it.
Where are they giving that much? I just signed up on Gazelle for my 5 for $325 in Amazon GC.

Old 09-17-2013, 04:21 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,990,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomitillo26 View Post
On a side note, some store employees tested out the new IOS7 and it the reviews are so so.
I've been running iOS7 on my iPhone and iPad since the beta program started. Some nice improvements from my perspective - the new control center is handy, and the auto updating gets rid of the need to constantly tell the device to update apps. Other than that, the new look and feel is just that - nothing substantive.

Old 09-17-2013, 05:19 PM

5,913 posts, read 7,029,013 times
Quote:
Hardly a fair set of statistics, right? If I pick just one phone running Android OS (any one I choose) I can argue that Apple is superior to Android.
From what I have seen, Smartphones are grouped into Android, Apple, MS/Windows, BB and "other". I was just quoting the stats I heard on Clark Howard where Android had 80+ % market share.

Restating my question in an Apple only environment, what "breathtaking features" (it has to be that to stand in line at 3AM) are on the new phones? I did see a post about the fingerprint reader for corporate applications, but in that case, I assume they are buying the phone. If I had a v4 phone, I would wait a week and buy an like-new iPhone 5 from someone that upgraded to a 5c or 5s.

Old 09-17-2013, 06:54 PM

379 posts, read 519,249 times
Yes I think iOS is superior to Android. My wife has the iPhone 5 and loves it. I made a mistake last year and bought the Motorola Razr HD. Twice I dropped it and twice the screen broke. So much for gorilla glass and kevlar backing. The Android system seems bulky and hard to navigate at times as opposed to the iPhone. Also my droid does get very slow at times and for some reason apps begin to run on their own w/o me opening them. I don't know, I'm not an expert.

Apple is a company that takes great pride in the products they produce. They truly believe they produce the "BMW or Mercedes" in the phone and computer markets. The customer service experience you get in their store far out does what you will experience at Verizon, AT&T or Sprint imho. Just like any phone or product they sell, they are not immune to issues however. The genius bar is always packed on a daily basis with people seeking technical help of some sort.

Like a previous poster stated, they are making the 5C to compete with lower priced Android devices. We will see what happens. I think the lustre has been slightly dulled with Apple since Steve Jobs died. No "big" ideas or groundbreaking new technology has been produced by them. The cell phone market in the USA and Europe is saturated right now, and they face stiff competition in China from Android. The company's stock actually went down after the announcement of the new phones. I think that they will have a "niche" in the market but I don't see any rapid growth for them like we saw from 2007-2010 when the iPhone and iPads came into existence.

Old 09-17-2013, 08:16 PM

226 posts, read 507,969 times
I upgraded to a 5 not long after they were released. I had anticipated a madding crowd, but I walked right in, told the clerk what I wanted, did the data transfer from my old phone, and was out in less than 15 minutes. Easy peasy. Of course, I wasn't there on the release weekend.

I'm sure I'll upgrade again with the 6 (or whatever that iteration will be). That said, I wouldn't get up at 3 am, nor stand in line for hours to get anything, much less a phone. While I'm excited about the new iPhones and I get that itchy "gotta have it" feeling, I figure if I've lived with and enjoyed my existing phone for a year or more, what's the problem with waiting a few weeks or even a couple of months? Plus, I like to give new releases a public litmus test before committing to them. Once all the bugs have either been found or worked out, then I can decide whether it's time to dive in.

Old 09-17-2013, 08:19 PM

226 posts, read 507,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomitillo26 View Post
I think the lustre has been slightly dulled with Apple since Steve Jobs died. No "big" ideas or groundbreaking new technology has been produced by them. The cell phone market in the USA and Europe is saturated right now, and they face stiff competition in China from Android. The company's stock actually went down after the announcement of the new phones. I think that they will have a "niche" in the market but I don't see any rapid growth for them like we saw from 2007-2010 when the iPhone and iPads came into existence.
I agree. Apple seems to be feeling itself out now that Jobs is gone. I still prefer their products and the tight integration of the whole brand, though. I just hope the growing pains get sorted out and they return to their bright, shiny selves.

Old 09-17-2013, 09:12 PM

2,464 posts, read 4,177,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
I would wait a couple of weeks.

Not a true Apple fan huh? In a couple of weeks, the mode 6 will be out! And the 5S will be old news.

Old 09-17-2013, 10:18 PM

34,941 posts, read 36,373,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rory breaker View Post
Where are they giving that much? I just signed up on Gazelle for my 5 for $325 in Amazon GC.
That was my quote a couple of days ago for the Apple online program. Their in-store is reportedly worse. I think I may go AT&T. Theirs was 305 today. Argh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary