Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 09:05 PM

1,105 posts, read 2,734,102 times

Advertisements

By historical standards it wasn't an enormous line, but there were about 100 people waiting patiently in line outside the Southpoint Apple Store this evening; my wife stood in it for 10 minutes while I took the kids to buy some clothes, and in that time it didn't move, so we'll try again, maybe tomorrow. But it was kind of a funny sight to see. It's too bad they couldn't have opened up the empty Sharper Image store for the line waiters -- set up a few TVs, maybe some video game machines, coulda been a real party!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2008, 06:59 AM

3,021 posts, read 11,060,029 times
It's probably for the best that you waited an extra day to get the new phone. I heard there were complications that kept many of the phones from being operable yesterday. I hope everything is straightened out by today!

Old 07-12-2008, 07:29 AM

718 posts, read 2,973,687 times
My hubby got his yesterday, but he works for the company ...no lines for him . Yes they did have problems yesterday with the system. I'm sure it will all work out.

Old 07-13-2008, 09:26 AM

3,155 posts, read 10,758,140 times
Last night about 8 pm we were at the Barnes & Noble by the Apple Store. The line was out the door and around the corner. But everyone seemed ok with the wait. It was fun to see everyone dressed in their Apple gear. DH has had fun all weekend with the new aps.

Old 07-13-2008, 09:35 AM

3,021 posts, read 11,060,029 times
I'll be soooooo glad when all of the hubub has passed. I'm in the market for a new laptop & I'd rather not face those crowds!

Old 07-13-2008, 10:26 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,167,824 times
Some folks just seem to be enamored with owning the newest gadgets. They usually wind up paying too much for glitchy items.

Best wait and get debugged hardware at good prices.

It's still too high if you don't lock in with AT&T.

Old 07-13-2008, 10:35 AM

3,644 posts, read 8,581,720 times
^I agree. I just don't get into having the "trendy" items. I have enough confidence in myself as to not need a cellphone to brag about. I have also learned that the "latest and greatest", "just released", and "state of the art" are just slogans that actually mean "We don't know how good it is so we are going to overcharge you for an item just to let you be our beta tester".

Old 07-13-2008, 10:46 AM

1,105 posts, read 2,734,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
Some folks just seem to be enamored with owning the newest gadgets. They usually wind up paying too much for glitchy items.

It's still too high if you don't lock in with AT&T.
I am generally with you 200%, and I don't see the need to wait in a long line. I'm the tech advice person for my family, including especially my father, so I almost always urge a bit of a wait after a new device comes out... usually the second generation of hardware.

But not for the iPhone -- he got one, on my advice, about a week after they were released. Great purchase. Fabulous device, and I can think of a dozen times in the last couple of weeks where it would have been very helpful to have one. The software was improved over time, and the hardware was solid from the get-go. So once the line dies down, I'll be getting the second iteration. (I didn't buy the first one because I wanted the 3G speeds, and also because I didn't think it appropriate to spend the $$$$ at that time.)

Old 07-13-2008, 02:39 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,167,824 times
That's a good recommendation.

Old 07-13-2008, 09:10 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,758,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
Saturnfan, let me guess you're a PC user aren't you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
^I agree. I just don't get into having the "trendy" items. I have enough confidence in myself as to not need a cellphone to brag about. I have also learned that the "latest and greatest", "just released", and "state of the art" are just slogans that actually mean "We don't know how good it is so we are going to overcharge you for an item just to let you be our beta tester".
Some people buy things because they have practical and useful business applications. Not to be trendy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary