Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 09:38 AM

292 posts, read 510,250 times

Advertisements

Never relocate without having an income stream in place for the area you're moving to. Period. It's that simple. It's been said time and time again, yet it seems there are always some that insist on rolling the dice. Taking that gamble might work out for some, some of the time, but odds are against it. This doesn't apply only to the triangle area or for some professions, it applies to any U.S. city for any job type. Anything else and the odds are simply not in your favor and it's probably going to be an expensive mistake.

If you're married or with partner, make sure ONE of you has an income stream (securing jobs for both before moving may be tough). If you're single, plan on sending resumes and investing some time and travel interviewing in person BEFORE you make the move. If you are unable to gather interest in someone hiring you by sending out resumes from your current location and networking remotely, it foreshadows to some extent what you will experience once living here. You will get some degree of interest from recruiters just by having a local phone number and address, but keep in mind that recruiters and headhunters have an interest in contacting you quickly in order to get you in their database. When they see a fresh contact, they see it as an opportunity for networking for the future, it does not mean they have lots of work for you right now (unless of course they mention a specific position). Also keep in mind if you are cruising the job boards and you see a dozen positions you think you are qualified for, it is often a dozen different staffing agencies collecting resumes for the same position.

There are some types of positions like biotech / software engineering etc that seem to always have demand around here, but they almost always want lots of experience / education, and if you have these qualifications in these areas you are already in demand wherever you live now, so if you're moving in hopes of finding some remarkably different lifestyle, you're probably not going to find what you think. The cost of living here is not too bad, but local salaries tend to reflect that, so it evens out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2013, 09:42 AM

51,829 posts, read 26,188,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
I
But...I also don't think it is necessary to tell someone that they NEED A JOB before they move when all they are doing is asking a question about a school or a neighborhood!

Some of my clients don't have jobs, don't want jobs and tell me it is annoying to them for folks to ASSUME they need that advice!

Vicki
I wonder why people ask for advice and then get annoyed at the advice that's offered. It's not like they're paying for it here on C-D. Just ignore what you don't want.

I remember one thread by an OP who wanted to get a job in a "high class hotel" who knew everything there was to know about working in such an establishment. All she needed was an in.

Nearly every one of her subsequent posts involved her telling people to mind how they spoke to her and she didn't want that kind of advice and people were not to make those kind of comments on "her" thread, and one thing and another.

The sad part was that one poster apparently was in hotel upper management and might have been able to help her out, but stated that her attitude would be a barrier to employment in high end hospitality.

Old 09-04-2013, 09:44 AM

25,115 posts, read 16,396,022 times
I am sad that anybody doesn't have a great experience and want to stay in the only place I've ever lived, or basically want to live.

I just hope the OP doesn't repeat the mistake and move away somewhere else without the next job lined up.

Old 09-04-2013, 09:49 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,385,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
I wonder why people ask for advice and then get annoyed at the advice that's offered. It's not like they're paying for it here on C-D. Just ignore what you don't want.

I remember one thread by an OP who wanted to get a job in a "high class hotel" who knew everything there was to know about working in such an establishment. All she needed was an in.

Nearly every one of her subsequent posts involved her telling people to mind how they spoke to her and she didn't want that kind of advice and people were not to make those kind of comments on "her" thread, and one thing and another.

The sad part was that one poster apparently was in hotel upper management and might have been able to help her out, but stated that her attitude would be a barrier to employment in high end hospitality.
I agree with most of what you are saying; however, my point is this...

If one of my clients (that I've suggested they come to this website) ask about the closest Trader Joe's because they are moving to the area, it is offensive to THEM if the next 3 comments are..."make sure you have a job before you move here"!!!

Vicki

Old 09-04-2013, 10:09 AM

22,772 posts, read 37,155,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I'd say this isn't a warning about moving to this area. It's another example of why people are always told "don't move until you have a job."

Sorry for your troubles.
Agree.

Another poster a couple of months back was complaining about her pay in her field. She was roundly told, before moving here, that she wasn't going to come close to what she was looking for. She basically told everyone "You're wrong". Guess what, we weren't.

Hope it all works out for you, OP.

Old 09-04-2013, 10:27 AM

43,629 posts, read 77,845,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDewey123 View Post
Can you offer support otherwise, Mike?
I have made no contention that should be supported.

<volley>
But, here goes:
I work with a LOT of people who have just found work and are delighted. That is anecdotal, and not a "Most" contention which should be quantified like yours should be, but it is accurate.

</volley>

Old 09-04-2013, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I have made no contention that should be supported.

<volley>
But, here goes:
I work with a LOT of people who have just found work and are delighted. That is anecdotal, and not a "Most" contention which should be quantified like yours should be, but it is accurate.

</volley>
Mike, I am thinking that since you work in real estate, you are likely working with folks who were successful in securing employment and thus a mortgage and not those who were watching their live savings dwindle waiting for an interview.

Would be interesting to know how many of the people you work with had a job lined up before moving her or were transferred by their company as opposed to those who move here and then start job hunting.

Old 09-04-2013, 10:56 AM

43,629 posts, read 77,845,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Mike, I am thinking that since you work in real estate, you are likely working with folks who were successful in securing employment and thus a mortgage and not those who were watching their live savings dwindle waiting for an interview.

Would be interesting to know how many of the people you work with had a job lined up before moving her or were transferred by their company as opposed to those who move here and then start job hunting.
Of course.
But I think I would learn more if someone could quantify the earlier contention that most people are struggling for interviews.

Old 09-04-2013, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post

If one of my clients (that I've suggested they come to this website) ask about the closest Trader Joe's because they are moving to the area, it is offensive to THEM if the next 3 comments are..."make sure you have a job before you move here"!!!

Vicki
Vicki, still don't quite grasp what is offensive about encouraging people to have a job before moving here.

They can always write that they have a job lined up, are being transferred by their company, telecommute... or are independently wealthy thanks to their savvy investments or marrying a Sugar Mama, or just ignore all the get-a-job comments altogether.

When our kids were little, I got all sorts of advice, most of it unsolicited.

I thought people were just trying to be helpful and let the stuff I wasn't interested in go by the wayside.

My favorite was the six rules for spanking. Never understood hitting kids in cold blood. Now the fury of the moment, that's another matter.

Old 09-04-2013, 10:57 AM

77 posts, read 190,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
"...the majority are struggling to even get an interview."

Can you offer a source to support that point?
I'm not sure that it's a majority (seems like it would be), but I'll offer this as an anecdotal corollary: there are hundreds of applicants for most entry level positions (and probably mid-level positions as well) and only a handful of those are interviewed...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary