Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 11:20 AM

1,337 posts, read 2,217,565 times

Advertisements

We moved here this summer and my kids have made me guilty that we missed the annual trip to the WI state fair, which is a huge deal. It took us years to "learn the ropes" of what time to get there, where to park free, when to leave by to avoid the drunks, what stands to eat at, and what we HAD to do every year.
I read the thread about parking-although since I dont know what RDC is, I'm not sure we'll be able to park there??
We don't live in Raleigh, so have not learned the area at all. (wish we were closer to the action,but that's another story).
Aside from parking, anything to share? We typically go early as crowds and rowdiness seem to come later in the day. Can we bring in a backpack of bottled water, or do they not allow that?
And what do we HAVE to do-the best part of the NC fair??
We'll be going SUnday since it's the only day kids & parents both have off.
Would love to hear anything helpful. (but really dont want to eat deep-fried twinkies or candy bars-we had those at our fair too and didnt sound too good to me)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2012, 11:30 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,186,390 times
You can bring water with you in to the fair. I recommend going in the morning. The closer you get to sundown the more punks and drunks show up. Not fun imo.

My favorite part of the fair is just checking out all the buildings personally. It's the same stuff every year but I still enjoy seeing the award winning cakes etc.

If you plan on riding the rides (or having your kids do it), I recommend purchasing the advance ride tickets available until this evening! It costs about half what you would pay the day of. You can also buy your admission tickets today and save $2. You can find the advance sale locations here: 2011 N.C. State Fair - Ticket Information or buy them online: 2012 N.C. State Fair - Ticket Information I've never bought them online before so I don't really know how that works as far as getting them before you go.

Old 10-11-2012, 11:37 AM

387 posts, read 641,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyesnow View Post
I read the thread about parking-although since I dont know what RDC is, I'm not sure we'll be able to park there??
The PNC Arena (formerly the RBC Center, we're all getting used to a name change) and Carter-Findlay stadium are the sports complex directly north of the fairgrounds, across Trinity Road. If you google map the fairgrounds, it's really easy to see where these are in relationship to the fairgrounds. There generally is a police officer that will be directing traffic, so as to ease the walk across Trinity, and to direct people into the parking areas. If you're coming from the west, it's really easy to get there, just exit off 40 at Wade, take the Edwards Mill exit and go south, then turn left at Trinity, and follow the traffic!

Old 10-11-2012, 11:42 AM

I also recommend checking out the blog for the fair. They do a pretty good job of talking about what's new, what's worth seeing, etc: Deep Fried @ the N.C. State Fair | The official blog of the N.C. State Fair Press Office

Old 10-11-2012, 12:44 PM

19,478 posts, read 28,066,321 times
Be aware that if you want to see the livestock, they are only being shown for the first Fri, Sat and Sun of the fair to the general public. And no touching is allowed.

Old 10-11-2012, 12:53 PM

22,760 posts, read 37,045,023 times
Go early. Once it gets crowded it's very hard to get your bearings. I'm good with a map, but I'm only here 2 years (so this will be our 3rd fair) so I know where you are coming from.

DOn't try to see it all in one day. Decide what you want to do this year - last year we did rides, games and saw the animals and caught the pig races at the end. It was fine. My kids are good for about 4 hours.

Old 10-11-2012, 12:56 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,364,515 times
According to WRAL a fan favorite event is "Piglets racing for cheese puffs"

Happens daily at the Hogway Speedway (near Gate 9) at 1, 3, 5, 7 and 9 p.m.

Here is a good guide that may help answer some of your questions: Your guide to the NC State Fair :: WRAL.com

Old 10-11-2012, 01:04 PM

615 posts, read 1,507,657 times
Don't go on weekends or Friday night.

Old 10-11-2012, 01:06 PM

If you have a smartphone, I recommend downloading the NC State Fair app. Gives you a top down view of the fairgrounds and lists all the food, exhibits, and rides. You can even click on a ride, food vendor, etc to see what people rated it and what they recommend.

Old 10-11-2012, 01:33 PM

181 posts, read 388,804 times
The best way to answer your question is to know what you are into and what how old your kids are. If the kids are younger they would certainly enjoy the kid town area which has all the rides and games aimed at pre teens and smaller children. I you enjoys agriculture/livestock the exhibits near the Grahm (sp) building would probably be to your thing.

What types of rides or exhibits did you most enjoy at the WI fair?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary