Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 01:47 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,798,199 times

Advertisements

Another fair tip - there are PLENTY of games on the midway that say "kids always win" - stick with those or you will end up with unhappy kiddos. I should have taken my own advice on that today but eventually we found them!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2012, 02:37 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,165,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evaofnc View Post
Ugh don't wait in that line unless you plan on getting there at 9am and eating it for breakfast. You can get the exact same ice cream year-round at DH Hill Library or Talley Student Center without having to wait in a 45 minute line. I do agree it's delicious though.
It opens at 11 AM. We get there 20 minutes early and are first or second in line.

Old 10-14-2012, 02:41 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,165,555 times
A great thing to see is the Neomonde Baking Company bread baking demonstration at 1 and 4PM.

The tent is on the right past the church and before the corn mill.

Show runs over an hour but you sit to watch it. You can stop by the tent anytime to buy coffee and pastries.

After the show, you sample the newly baked bread. You can also buy other bakery items at very reasonable prices.

The chef is French with 32 years experience and hams it up like a comedian at Goodnight's Comedy Club.

Don't miss it. But remember, at 1 or 4PM only.

Old 10-14-2012, 10:43 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,108,254 times
Just went today. The line for ice cream moved fast (15 minutes) and worth every minute.

I really still prefer the James E Strates show as the fair vendor, but it's all good.

Old 10-15-2012, 06:54 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,154,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
Yeah, you can instead drive around NCSU for 45 minutes to find a place to park!
lol it's not that bad there anymore, especially if you go after 5pm

Old 10-15-2012, 06:59 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,154,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
I have always wished they would go to an armband or hand stamp system where you can buy an armband for a set price and ride as much as you want. The tickets have always been a hassle: knowing how many to buy, having to keep up with them, count them for each kid, having to find a place to keep them without loosing them, standing in line for more...
Seems like there has to be a better way.
They do this on the first day of the fair. It's $28 for an all-you-can-ride wristband.

When we were kids my mom would buy the discount ride tickets they sell at the advance sale. My sister and I would each get one sheet of tickets and once they were gone they're gone! It was always enough tickets to ride 3 or 4 rides which was plenty.

Old 10-15-2012, 10:46 AM

814 posts, read 2,007,230 times
Yep, we went on Thursday, bought the discount tickets at Gate 9, then walked right in and stayed a couple hours! Was amused when I saw people in lines for tickets on the midway that were longer than I waited outside for discount tickets. $10 for a sheet of tickets. My kids each got a sheet and each has 18 tickets, so they got 4 rides (3 5's and a 3....if ya know what I mean). That is not bad!

We will likely go back on Thursday or Friday.

Old 10-15-2012, 11:33 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times
We decided at the last minute to head over to the State Fair on Sunday. Got there at 10:30 AM. Traffic was already backed up on Blue Ridge Road but it moved quickly. We parked across from Gate 9. Cost $10.

It was crowded but from the time we got there until about 2 PM, not too bad. From 2 to 4 PM, it was CROWDED. There were some areas around The Village of Yesteryear that were so packed, you had to push your way through!

We left around 4. Tons of folks were coming in as we were leaving. A client of mine called to tell me that she was stuck in traffic, trying to get in, at that time. She finally gave up and decided to go another day.

I KNOW BETTER THAN TO GO ON A WEEKEND but didn't think it would be THAT BAD! I won't make that mistake again.

As to the poster that asked about pushing a stroller, the only area that I saw that WASN'T paved was a small area down where the larger rides are. We always took our kids, in their strollers, so I remember when there was lots more unpaved areas.

There are strollers and wagons, for rent, if anyone needs that.

Vicki

Old 10-15-2012, 11:55 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,108,254 times
We went Sunday too. It was crowded between 3-5, but by 6 PM it was thinning out and by 8 it was almost deserted. No lines for anything...
Traffic was bad though on Blue Ridge. We usually just take the bus from Cary but this year we had a free parking pass for Gate 11 but we weren't even able to get to the gate. We sat in traffic at Blue Ridge/Hillsborough Street intersection for over 30 minutes before deciding $10.00 parking was worth it and pulled off into a parking lot.
I will stick with taking the bus next year!

Old 10-15-2012, 08:07 PM

192 posts, read 312,916 times
There are Hand-washing stations all around the Fair, they have bigger signs and are well lit, so if you're going to visit the petting zoo or the livestock building do use them..

Rocio
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary