Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 01:36 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,979,685 times

Advertisements

My tip: Don't pet the animals and then stick your fingers in your mouth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2012, 01:53 PM

1,337 posts, read 2,213,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dio108 View Post
The best way to answer your question is to know what you are into and what how old your kids are. If the kids are younger they would certainly enjoy the kid town area which has all the rides and games aimed at pre teens and smaller children. I you enjoys agriculture/livestock the exhibits near the Grahm (sp) building would probably be to your thing.

What types of rides or exhibits did you most enjoy at the WI fair?
My kids are 5 (but special needs so more like a 3 year old) 10 and 12. We only hit the midways sometimes as the rides are not for everyone and one kid get doesnt care for fast rides. We did a lot of looking at animals, looking in buildings at exhibits, things for sale, giant wave slide (not part of the midway) and hitting up certain food stands. That's usually about all we get in before someone's cranky and we need to leave. Sitting in an arena for any amount of time doesnt work with the 5 year old who is mainly stroller-bound due to low muscle tone and stubborn-ness, which when combined, make for a whole lot of fun (sarcasm).

Old 10-11-2012, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmom5497 View Post
Don't go on weekends or Friday night.
Since the fair here is during the school year, our only option is the weekend. (WI fair was the middle of summer so we did a weekday).

Old 10-11-2012, 02:17 PM

Oh, and I almost forgot- we always hit up THe GIANT cream puffs-a delicious tradition-really long line, but well worth it!
I tried looking for food on the NC fair site and only saw New Food.

Old 10-11-2012, 02:26 PM

22,719 posts, read 36,928,387 times
If you can have someone walk your 5 year old around and another adult stay with your other kids, definitely check out the pig races, my mother was rolling her eyes but they are hilarious. My kids are 12 (two of them) and 8 and they loved it. But you need to get there well before the race starts.

They also liked this bungee-jumping thing, the midway games, seeing the animals at the petting zoo (which I doubt they will have this year after the disease outbreak last year, even though it didn't come from there) and seeing the animals that people had been showing (where the disease did come from) - don't touch the railings, or get a good hand washing in afterward if you do.

Old 10-11-2012, 03:09 PM

181 posts, read 388,275 times
You should consider getting the NC St. university ice cream; usually long lines but worth it. Al's fries (not sure where they are located); most other food items will depend on your preferences (i.e. foot long dogs vs. turkey leg vs. bbq, etc...).

As someone mentioned the pig races on face value doesn't sound interesting but it actually is. We usually ride the ferris wheel and get and get the helicopter view, sort of a tradition type thing, but you may not feel comfortable doing this with your special needs child.

I guess there is no one concrete thing that you have to do or eat, take it in and enjoy the sights, sounds your family and have a good time.

Old 10-11-2012, 03:27 PM

248 posts, read 755,570 times
The best day to go is opening Friday, it historically is the least attended day
2012 N.C. State Fair - About Us

Old 10-11-2012, 03:53 PM

6,298 posts, read 16,121,061 times
We generally go as early as possible. We prefer rainy days. We always get the greasy fries (Al's Fries) across from the Red Cross area, the corn on the cob not far from the entrance, and the NC State ice cream.

Yes, you can bring in food and drinks.

Be sure to see the giant Smoky Bear. Might make a cute pic with your 5-year-old.

Sunday morning is a good time to go -- that's when we usually go.

I usually get whatever free thing Geico is handing out, too. It's usually on the way in or the way out.

We also usually stay away from the midway and see everything else the fair has to offer:

North Carolina State Fair - YouTube

Last edited by lovebrentwood; 10-11-2012 at 04:16 PM..

Old 10-11-2012, 05:17 PM

677 posts, read 1,906,284 times
Definitely get NC State ice cream! Made on campus, served by Food Science students, price reasonable and big portions. And, most of all, yummy!!! This year's pork butt on a stick sounds promising. For good country ham biscuits check out the permanent building with local churches or clubs.

And, don't be surprised when you go to the bathroom and find ladies (not sure about men's room!) handing you a paper towel as you walk by their tip jar. They do keep them pretty clean.

Luckily no NC State home football games to further tie up traffic this year! Have fun!

Old 10-11-2012, 05:32 PM

Thanks everyone for all of the info (and the video). We too had bathroom workers with tip jars-it caused a huge outrage the first year.
I went online and got the tickets, so money was saved already!!
My kids are appalled that there both heard at school there is turkey shooting!
I personally cant wait to attend a different state fair for the FIRST time ever!
This is the best site for questions when you're new to the area.
Thanks again!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary