Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 06:03 AM

15 posts, read 27,671 times

Advertisements

I'm going to be overnighted on a Durham trip coming up.

I need to know a local and close place to the station I could hang out till my train leaves at 7AM

I will be sitting there overnight so I'm really not wanting to get a hotel room. especially when I wont have much time to be sleeping till I have to leave.

Anyone know of a good 24 hour place thats open inside?
Let me know, Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2012, 06:15 AM

843 posts, read 2,101,707 times
Nothing close to the Amtrak station. You can take a taxi to a nearby Waffle House or the IHOP on North Pointe Dr. There is a McDonald's a few blocks away on Morgan/Downtown Loop. I don't know if its 24 hrs and I don't think I would walk over there at 3am....

Make sure to check that you are able to stay at the station overnight. The hours says it closes at 9pm. I don't know if that's the front doors or just the ticket window.

Old 08-31-2012, 06:20 AM

34,941 posts, read 36,288,569 times
I'd also check to make sure a restaurant wouldn't mind someone sitting there all night long. Unless you're ordering steadily, if there are waitresses who make a living off tips, you'd be taking up a seat (possibly a whole booth) where they could expect more turnover and potentially more tip money. Just a thought.

Old 08-31-2012, 06:21 AM

15 posts, read 27,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncmickey View Post
Nothing close to the Amtrak station. You can take a taxi to a nearby Waffle House or the IHOP on North Pointe Dr. There is a McDonald's a few blocks away on Morgan/Downtown Loop. I don't know if its 24 hrs and I don't think I would walk over there at 3am....

Make sure to check that you are able to stay at the station overnight. The hours says it closes at 9pm. I don't know if that's the front doors or just the ticket window.
Crap really?

Is durham full of crime or something? I've never been in the city before. I'm from Charlotte and it's pretty bad here.

Got tons of crack heads and bums and degenerates walking around all over town.
Especially on the freedom / west side of town.

Let me know what dangers I should be expecting in this city if you will.
Thanks.

Old 08-31-2012, 06:57 AM

1,039 posts, read 2,655,847 times
Can you not go one more stop up to Raleigh? Might have better luck there.

Old 08-31-2012, 07:09 AM

915 posts, read 2,383,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TestyBass View Post
Crap really?

Is durham full of crime or something? I've never been in the city before. I'm from Charlotte and it's pretty bad here.

Got tons of crack heads and bums and degenerates walking around all over town.
Especially on the freedom / west side of town.

Let me know what dangers I should be expecting in this city if you will.
Thanks.
Durham's not "full of crime" at all. It's a city, so you will see a few homeless people or panhandlers out and about, but you can expect that in just about any urban setting, including Raleigh. To put it in context, for the 7 largest cities in NC, Durham has the 3rd highest crime rate.

There's no 24-hour restaurant downtown or within walking distance. The McDonald's has a 24-hour drive through, but the dining room closes at midnight. You can try taking a cab to the IHOP at North Pointe, but that's kind of a huff (3 miles or so).

Right now, the only hotel within walking distance is the Marriott. Not sure if you want to pay for a room there for a one-night stay.

Why is it exactly that you'll be trapped overnight?

Old 08-31-2012, 07:10 AM

915 posts, read 2,383,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HS_DUDE View Post
Can you not go one more stop up to Raleigh? Might have better luck there.
I don't know Raleigh that well. Which 24-hour restaurants are near the Amtrak station there?

Old 08-31-2012, 07:11 AM

843 posts, read 2,101,707 times
Durham has crime like any other city. I wouldnt walk around Raleigh or Charlotte at 3 am either....and I don't know of any restaurants near the Raleigh station open 24 hrs either.
The Station is in the Brighleaf area, which is pretty safe. But is anywhere REALLY safe at 3am? Anything can happen at anytime in any place...

Old 08-31-2012, 07:37 AM

22,679 posts, read 36,831,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peperoberto View Post
Why is it exactly that you'll be trapped overnight?
OP is from Charlotte so I'm curious about this as well.

Old 08-31-2012, 09:15 AM

4,264 posts, read 4,721,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncmickey View Post
The hours says it closes at 9pm. I don't know if that's the front doors or just the ticket window.
I believe this means the entire station is closed -- anyone still inside at 8:59 pm must exit. The station reopens at 6:30 am.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary