Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 07:30 PM

4 posts, read 8,363 times

Advertisements

Hi! I know, I checked and there are so many threads on where to move in Raleigh. But, I am more confused than ever. I was not able to find much on Brier Creek specifically.

Myself and a friend will be moving from outside of Cleveland. Yes, the weather and driving distance to beach and mountains will be a complete step up. From reading many of these messages, it almost makes me want to change my mind on the move. Based on the threads, it appears there are no single people, culture or fun in Raleigh. I doubt it! I still cannot wait to move!

Here are the details, any advice would be truly appreciated!!

Both of us are female, 37 and 39 and we are not a couple. I have my own business and work out of the house. My best friend is a nurse. We are both tired of the Cleveland winters and the constant grey sky. I have one of my largest clients in Cary and have been down to Raleigh several times in the past 3 months and figured why not move here? We are looking to rent and would like a 3 bedroom apartment with a pool and a patio to enjoy the nice weather. We are fine with between $1000.00 and $1400.00 per month. I have a 48 lb. Rottie mix who will be along for the ride.

I have looked at apartments at Brier Creek (The Preserves is #1 on the list in that area). However, I have not looked in any other areas of town. I have heard from people in the office to look into downtown (not sure with the dog), Crabtree, North Hills, and Southpoint. Brier Creek seems really nice for apartment rentals, everything is there, and easy access to all of the other areas in Raleigh.

Is Brier Creek just a shopping community or do people hang out in that area? Both of us like: Local beers, parks/dog parks, wine bars, fine dining, live bands, and relaxed atmospheres.

My friend and I are looking at this as a one year vacation to see if we like the area. If we do, then we will sell the houses in Ohio and find something perm down here.

Please tell me we are not making a mistake and will never find single and fun men and women in this area!!!!! Thanks in advance!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2012, 07:39 PM

1,155 posts, read 2,239,162 times
I think North Hills and southpoint are quite nice as well, although I don't know specific apartment communities. You are going to love the change from Cleveland!

Old 03-31-2012, 07:53 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,107,301 times
You should think of yourself as a resident of the Triangle and not depend on Brier Creek for all your needs (especially the need for having fun).

Brier Creek is a shopping area and residential area. That's about it. But living there, you are in Raleigh and not far from Durham, so you'll have places to go.

I find other areas of the Triangle much more comfortable. But if you like Brier Creek, go for it! I have a good friend who loves it.

Be sure to look around other areas, especially North Hills, though, before making a decision.

Your idea of making it a "vacation" while you try it out is an excellent idea.

Good luck!

Old 04-01-2012, 08:31 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,268,491 times
The funny thing is that Raleigh was named in the top 5 "best places for singles"!!!

Vicki

Old 04-01-2012, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
You should think of yourself as a resident of the Triangle and not depend on Brier Creek for all your needs (especially the need for having fun).

Brier Creek is a shopping area and residential area. That's about it. But living there, you are in Raleigh and not far from Durham, so you'll have places to go.

I find other areas of the Triangle much more comfortable. But if you like Brier Creek, go for it! I have a good friend who loves it.

Be sure to look around other areas, especially North Hills, though, before making a decision.

Your idea of making it a "vacation" while you try it out is an excellent idea.

Good luck!
Great points.
Thank you! I just looked up North Hills and will go see a couple places this afternoon! That area does not seem as pet friendly when it comes to apartments, but I did find a couple that will accept the pup. She needs to come on the "vacation" too!

Old 04-01-2012, 09:35 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,268,491 times
This area is very pet friendly. Unfortunately, due to liablility issues, many apts. will not accept certain breeds. I am finding that n'hoods are starting to add certain restrictions in the covenants, concerning certain breeds, as well.

Vicki

Old 04-01-2012, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
This area is very pet friendly. Unfortunately, due to liablility issues, many apts. will not accept certain breeds. I am finding that n'hoods are starting to add certain restrictions in the covenants, concerning certain breeds, as well.

Vicki
Vicki,

Thanks I have noticed that too. She is a Rottie mix - thankfully for me, her papers (funny since no one really know what she is since she is a rescue) say shepard mix, which seems to not be on many of the lists.

Off to look at more apartments today. THIS is painful!!!!

Old 04-01-2012, 12:20 PM

1,177 posts, read 2,344,023 times
Quote:
Is Brier Creek just a shopping community or do people hang out in that area? Both of us like: Local beers, parks/dog parks, wine bars, fine dining, live bands, and relaxed atmospheres.
Brier Creek is the former, simply a shopping center community with all the big box stores. Not really walkable and driving through the shopping center is hazardous. No dog park although you can walk your dog in the neighborhood just don't poop on the golf course. Some sports bars. No real live bands.

For what you like, Downtown Raleigh is your best bet. Tons of local breweries, wine bars, chocolate factories, museums, events, fine dining, live music everyday, outdoor amphitheater, and everything is walkable.

I find Downtown Raleigh more dog friendly, again, because everything is walkable and dogs love that. There are tons of city parks, free doggie bags, trash cans at every street corner, etc. Plus all restaurants with outdoor dining allow dogs.

There's the World Beer Festival in Downtown Raleigh on 4/14 and Annual SPCA Dog Walk on 4/21. We've been doing the walk for the past 4 years and look forward to bringing our 3 dogs there again this year to walk with 3000 other dogs.

Good luck with your search!

Old 04-01-2012, 01:18 PM

19,448 posts, read 27,889,028 times
There are several apartment complexes in Brier Creek that have Paws Parks. The Crossings, for one. I know nothing about any of them except that information.

There are no dog parks in the Brier Creek area (I was disappointed to learn that myself). The closest will be about 9-11 miles, one in cary and one in Durham (I think).

And keep what Vicki said about "certain breeds" in mind. It showed up in the CC&R's of the house we are building in Brier Creek Country Club. Non-specific, so there's some flexibility, which can be good or bad, depending on the circumstances. Also know that weight restrictions are very common in apartments and condos, and your dog is likely to exceed those (typically 15, 20 or 30 pound limits).

Old 04-01-2012, 04:12 PM

542 posts, read 1,525,626 times
Come on down, the more the merrier! Honestly, if I were in the rental market I would set my sights on Raleigh Downtown. It has come a LONG way in the past few years and has a really bright future! The young and vibrant Red Hat is replacing the old and stuffy Progress Energy and restaurants and bars are popping up everywhere. I just got back from downtown and it was full of people out enjoying locally-owned restaurants and bars.

I would not want to get stuck in the strip mall that is Brier Creek. I work a mile a way from Brier Creek and if it wasn't for the need to vary where I go to lunch, I wouldn't ever step foot inside of Brier Creek's shopping complex. As stated above it is dangerous to walk and drive around and it is full of chain restaurants.

I hope this helps!

Michael
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary