Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2009, 04:52 PM

1,561 posts, read 5,160,322 times

Advertisements

so it's my first christmas here and we'd like to get a tree this weekend. ideally i'd like some long-needled tree like a douglas fir (i think that's right), and since we have 9 foot ceilings instead of 7 foot ones, i'd like to get a taller tree. i'm hoping to find some place that has fresh trees that won't die in a week, but is relatively cheap. i don't care if i have to drive a few more miles, but i have no clue about what good places are here.

thanks for the help, and merry christmas!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2009, 07:08 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,583,386 times
Quote:
and since we have 9 foot ceilings instead of 7 foot ones, i'd like to get a taller tree.
Quote:
i'm hoping to find some place that has fresh trees that won't die in a week
Quote:
but is relatively cheap.
Only advice I can give is take a hike through some woods and bring a saw.

Old 12-07-2009, 07:23 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,834,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GucciLittlePiggie View Post
so it's my first christmas here and we'd like to get a tree this weekend. ideally i'd like some long-needled tree like a douglas fir (i think that's right), and since we have 9 foot ceilings instead of 7 foot ones, i'd like to get a taller tree. i'm hoping to find some place that has fresh trees that won't die in a week, but is relatively cheap. i don't care if i have to drive a few more miles, but i have no clue about what good places are here.

thanks for the help, and merry christmas!
NC is the #1 producer of Christmas trees in the US. There is NO trouble finding a tree, and if they died in a week, the places wouldn't be in business year after year!

We always get ours ( 9' minimum) from the Boy Scouts at St Raphael's Church, but they only set up for the first weekend of December (missed it). Sometimes it CAN be a little bit of work to find a good high tree, but generally just do some pricing--go from lot to lot, see what they have and how much they are. Most will have an 8-9' one, but there may be $20 or so difference in price sometimes. What's a good place one year might be so-so the next, so just expect to go to 3-4 places and comparison shop.

Old 12-07-2009, 07:38 PM

2,135 posts, read 7,658,797 times
Farmer's Market

Old 12-08-2009, 03:45 PM

1,561 posts, read 5,160,322 times
thanks everyone who replied!

Old 12-08-2009, 10:16 PM

167 posts, read 567,099 times
I got my 8' Douglas Fir from Jernigan's at the farmer's market and he is an awesome tree! we are very particular as we put real candles on our tree so the branches need to be strong, straight and symmetric as does the top to make pretty shadow patterns on the ceilings. I explained all this to Jernigan's and they told me to come back in 10 minutes, so I did and they had grabbed a bunch of perfect topped trees off their truck and undid them to show me. I have never had such an easy time finding a tree.

Old 12-08-2009, 10:53 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,100,766 times
Please tell us more about the candles on your tree.

I know it was done years ago.

How long do you keep them lit?

Do you have antique candle holders?

Isn't it difficult not to burn down the house?

Have you ever had close calls?

Why do you do it? Is it still done in Germany?

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary