Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 07:27 PM

794 posts, read 1,327,288 times

Advertisements

I live a couple miles from Brier Creek and really enjoy living in the area. On a day-to-day basis it has most everything I need. For nights and weekends, there are good bars/restaurants close enough if I want to stay close to home, but it is also very centrally located to downtown Raleigh, downtown Durham and many other areas. Some of the comments are spot on about Brier Creek (the traffic around the shopping centers can be maddening) but I completely disagree with others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meanieme View Post
Brier Creek is the former, simply a shopping center community with all the big box stores. Not really walkable and driving through the shopping center is hazardous.
And, yet I see people out walking, and running all over the Brier Creek area...many walking their dogs. No, not through the shopping center and I wouldn't really recommend it but you will see lots of people out enjoying the area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNC29 View Post
I would not want to get stuck in the strip mall that is Brier Creek. I work a mile a way from Brier Creek and if it wasn't for the need to vary where I go to lunch, I wouldn't ever step foot inside of Brier Creek's shopping complex. As stated above it is dangerous to walk and drive around and it is full of chain restaurants.
Yes...there are several chain restaurants but many others too. I would include some of the NC chains here (maybe because I am new to them and enjoy them). Some of my favorites are Tasu, Aladdins, and Brixx. Trali is a good local, Irish pub and usually has a good crowd, especially during the spring and summer when people spill out onto the patio. I believe they have live music a couple nights.

As far as the single scene, there are several sports bars in the BC area that pull a large crowd, if that interests you. I can't comment on the single scene in Downtown Durham, but most of the bar crowd in downtown Raleigh is pretty young (20's). There are other areas that seem to draw a little older crowd. The great thing also is you have a big advantage to others moving to the area...your friend/roommate. I would still recommend that you both join some Meetup groups to meet other people with the same interests, but instead of having to go it alone, you will be able to join in the events and get to know the town having a friend by your side.

Anyway...don't base your decision on moving here (or not) solely on comments from this forum. People love the area, hate the area, its the best ever, it isn't as good as _____. Only you and your friend will know if Raleigh is the place for you. I moved her last spring from DC and knew it was the right place for me. I just felt it in my bones...yet, I still visited 4 more times before I made my final decision. And, with everything else...Raleigh/Durham will be as much (or as little) as you make of it.

Also, my BF lives in The Preserve and likes it for the most part. I also have a couple friends in another apartment complex in the area (name is escaping me right now). Feel free to message me with any specific questions about The Preserve or Brier Creek. Good Luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2012, 07:05 AM

3,576 posts, read 10,668,718 times
I relocated to this area in August. I've lived in NC for many years, but I found the rental process here to be much more frustrating than I had ever encountered before. I ultimately opted for a Brier Creek rental, and after a short period of time, decided that there was no real benefit to living in that area. Had I known about these places before, I would've rented at Park and Market in North Hills, or at the Arboretum in Cary.

After six months, I moved to a 3BR/2BA apartment in Colonial Grand at Arringdon so there'd be a little more room for me and a roommate. Included in my rent are two detached garages reasonably close to the apartment.

Old 04-02-2012, 07:18 AM

399 posts, read 806,788 times
I use to live in BC for a year.

There are several apt complexes right there on the corner across from the country club. I lived @ colonial grand and it was a nice place on the inside.

There's also lots of condos and townhomes around there as well that come up for rent.

BC is a nice place if you stay in that area. There's plenty of shops and restaurants right there. But if you like to branch out and want to be closer to downtown, it is a bit of a hike from BC.

It all depends on where you'er at in life. For somebody in their mid 30's, BC is a nice area and don't think it's a bad choice. I lived downtown for a year and though it was very overated and expensive.

Old 04-07-2012, 07:00 AM

4 posts, read 8,369 times
Thank you everyone for the insight!!!! It really helped when I was looking at apartments. I am back in Cleveland and now it is time to make some decisions. As it stands right now ..... the verdict is either Brier Creek or the Crossroads area. I LOVE the North Hills area .... but is not the best if I want a 3 bedroom with a balcony/patio and a really nice pool. Again, I really thank you for all the ideas!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary