Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 09:23 AM

1,032 posts, read 3,920,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbjjbtb View Post
I guess that point is lost on me. I don't see family friendly relating to guns.
There's your trouble.

I didn't either for a long time. Didn't grow up with them around, had never thought about owning one, and had never been shooting. I empathize.

But things change. A friend of mine took me shooting a few times, then I got a pistol, and then I got into target shooting with a 22 rifle, and next thing you know I had an AR-15. My dad and I competed at a rimfire competition held at Camp Perry on Lake Erie back in OH. I will always cherish that memory.

I just tried a bit of the shotgun sporting clays with some guys from work this past fall, and let me tell you, THAT was a ton of fun. I'm looking at maybe picking up a used shotgun just to do that.

This year has seen record gun sales, and a lot of the growth is women shooters.

If your perception of gun owners is rednecks and gangsters, I think you'd be surprised by a trip to a range. It's not like TV or the movies.

Old 01-08-2012, 10:07 AM

237 posts, read 757,465 times
Now that you've all weighed in let me say I am NOT against owning guns or using for sport. I would however think that there is a better place to put the store, ie: Dick's, Cabela's in Triangle Mall. Thank you all for your insight.

Old 01-08-2012, 11:05 AM

1,429 posts, read 4,285,713 times
Why should it be an issue for it to be near a middle school? I've worked for a gun shop. I can tell you that tweens do not come in by themselves, nor can they purchase a firearm or ammo. Plus, a mall setting has a more likelihood of having unsupervised tweens/teens (since that is your concern). A mall setting is not conductive to firearm sales because if someone wants to say... get scope rings, it is best to bring in the firearm to ensure a good fit. What area mall would want someone carrying a 30-30 past the food court to get to the gunshop? Box stores are generally accepted in the mall setting because they are usually stand alone. A shop that specializes in firearms (not having fishing/baseball/tennis shoes/camping/aerobics/or swimming gear to fill up the huge space) wouldn't be able to pay the rent on this much space nor would it be needed.

While box stores like Dicks are a resource, rarely do you find a gunsmith on site. The turnover of the box stores leads to unpredictable knowledge of the sales person. Plus, the box stores do not stock unusual rounds or specialty firearms, choosing to stock only generic items.

If the calls I get for gun shop needs (we closed our gun shop in early 2000's) are any indication, I think the area can easily support a quality gun shop.

Old 01-08-2012, 06:03 PM

875 posts, read 1,163,286 times
Quote:
I would however think that there is a better place to put the store
Oh I see now. You can't have a store that sells guns near a school but stores that sell alcohol and tobacco are alright.

Old 01-12-2012, 06:02 PM

33 posts, read 81,214 times
I don't know about NC, but in Virginia you cannot carry it into a school building, and without a concealed carry license, you cannot carry it to your car within a certain amount of feet from the school

Old 01-13-2012, 12:28 PM

906 posts, read 2,383,331 times
I was a bit taken aback that a gun shop was opening, too. But like arsbadmojo said, if we're not used to being around guns then it might seem a bit strange to us.

I completely agree with you that they selected an odd name. Gun running is a criminal act. If you're opening up a family friendly store in a family neighborhood I think a different name would be better.

Try to keep an open mind about it and not worry too much.

Old 01-13-2012, 12:39 PM

447 posts, read 1,620,798 times
The reason you don't see independently owned firearm stores in large shopping centers like Triangle Towne is because of the rents. So independent owners go to where there are lower rents. Otherwise, only large corporate stores would be able to sell firearms.

Old 01-13-2012, 03:31 PM

33 posts, read 81,214 times
Check out Sons of Guns or American Guns: Gunsmoke on the Discovery channel or check them out on the website.

That will de-mystify things for you and they are both family owned shops.

Old 01-16-2012, 04:13 PM

1 posts, read 1,593 times
A shop selling fire arms and knives call "gunrunners" next to a "Little Gym" "Andy's Grill". Kids Pottery Store? I sure hope the store owner will be able to break his lease. Not a bright move.

Old 01-16-2012, 05:50 PM

725 posts, read 1,501,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokiebird123 View Post
A shop selling fire arms and knives call "gunrunners" next to a "Little Gym" "Andy's Grill". Kids Pottery Store? I sure hope the store owner will be able to break his lease. Not a bright move.
How so?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary