Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 03:32 PM

1,479 posts, read 1,229,269 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,
We just had these awful speed bumps installed in our neighborhood today and was wondering if the HOA is supposed to notify us of this beforehand?
I live in Amberly in West Cary, if anyone is familiar with our lovely HOA.
I am all for safety and people not speeding down the street but now I have this black and yellow eyesore right in front of my house.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2011, 07:15 PM

294 posts, read 829,431 times
interesting. did anyone ask you (neighbor or town of cary)? from my understanding, a high percentage of residents need to sign off and subsidize the humps. perhaps they were planned though.

I'm trying to procure humps in our neighborhood but have heard every excuse possible from Cary (not needed, they do not work, fire trucks cannot get through) even though 100 out of 1,300 drivers were going 15 MPH (>40 MPH) over the speed limit for the data collection day.

Old 07-15-2011, 10:43 PM

379 posts, read 580,379 times
These things just showed up this morning with no notice at all. I am glad I'm not the only one who was caught offguard by this. I told my wife who isn't here right now about it and she was surprised, too.

They practically glued them to the pavement and got the heck out of town. I've never seen anything like this before.

Old 07-16-2011, 07:33 AM

1,832 posts, read 5,090,870 times
Hi--I live in Morrisville so Cary could be different. And Amberly may be different. I'm on the public safety advisory committee, and it practically took an act of God to ok speed bumps that residents in Preston Grande ASKED for the developer of the new Target offered to pay for. Such things in Morrisville are never done rashly and require the cooperation of town and community member. I believe even after the town signs/ed off on speed bumps a majority of the homeowners in the subdivision have to formally vote to agree.

Perhaps Amberly, since it's still being managed by the developers, is different, and the developers installed them. I've learned the hard way that squeaky wheels get all the oil. I'd start with the developers and ask where they came from. They should have written documentation of it all.

Old 07-16-2011, 07:51 AM

843 posts, read 2,100,794 times
My HOA in Durham is exploring getting speed bumps. There are tons of hoops to jump through. The process can take a few years...
How long have you lived there? Could be a decision made before you arrived?

Old 07-16-2011, 08:24 AM

1,168 posts, read 2,504,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCviaMD View Post
Hi Everyone,
We just had these awful speed bumps installed in our neighborhood today and was wondering if the HOA is supposed to notify us of this beforehand?
I live in Amberly in West Cary, if anyone is familiar with our lovely HOA.
I am all for safety and people not speeding down the street but now I have this black and yellow eyesore right in front of my house.

Thanks!
Why don't you suggest that the HOA paint them green. I'm actually surprised that Cary approved black and yellow speed bumps in the first place.

Also, you say that you have an "eyesore" in front of your house....do you often sit in a window at the front of the home gazing out into the street?

Old 07-16-2011, 10:47 AM

BiggJoe, it is a townhouse community and I have a balcony on the front of my house as well as a covered porch so we do sit out there sometimes
I am also shocked about the color, if they were all black maybe it wouldn't be so bad.

We have lived here for 2 years, went through the whole building process. They put up no parking signs around the neighborhood and we were notified about that in advance, they sent people out to powerwash the houses/clean gutters and we were notified about that. It just seems weird to me that they didn't send anything about this before they did it.

I am definatley going to email them on Monday and find out WTF, in the meantime I will look through all of those HOA rules and whatnot to see if it was planned.

Old 07-16-2011, 11:31 AM

1,168 posts, read 2,504,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCviaMD View Post
BiggJoe, it is a townhouse community and I have a balcony on the front of my house as well as a covered porch so we do sit out there sometimes
I am also shocked about the color, if they were all black maybe it wouldn't be so bad.

We have lived here for 2 years, went through the whole building process. They put up no parking signs around the neighborhood and we were notified about that in advance, they sent people out to powerwash the houses/clean gutters and we were notified about that. It just seems weird to me that they didn't send anything about this before they did it.

I am definatley going to email them on Monday and find out WTF, in the meantime I will look through all of those HOA rules and whatnot to see if it was planned.
Ahhh. I am very familiar with your neighborhood and Amberly in general. Just remember that you have 2 HOA's in Amberly. You will have the HOA for your particular townhome section as well as a master HOA for Amberly as a whole.

Go to the clubhouse/residence center and ask to speak with the representative of the master HOA. Last time I was out there she had an office there. She should be able to tell you:

#1 - If it was installed by the Amberly master HOA or by the townhome neighborhood HOA
#2 - If it was approved or not

BTW last time I was out there speeding wasn't nearly as big of a concern as people parking in the streets. I don't even see how people could speed when they we dodging the cars parked everywhere. Did you guys get that taken care of?

Old 07-16-2011, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggJoe4181 View Post
Ahhh. I am very familiar with your neighborhood and Amberly in general. Just remember that you have 2 HOA's in Amberly. You will have the HOA for your particular townhome section as well as a master HOA for Amberly as a whole.

Go to the clubhouse/residence center and ask to speak with the representative of the master HOA. Last time I was out there she had an office there. She should be able to tell you:

#1 - If it was installed by the Amberly master HOA or by the townhome neighborhood HOA
#2 - If it was approved or not

BTW last time I was out there speeding wasn't nearly as big of a concern as people parking in the streets. I don't even see how people could speed when they we dodging the cars parked everywhere. Did you guys get that taken care of?
Thanks for the info, I didn't know we have 2 HOA's to deal with! As if 1 isn't bad enough. I will go over to the Clubhouse and see what I can find out.

The parking was pretty bad especially along Longchamp, they put up signs in the development "No parking on this side of the street" which has seemed to help, my street was nowhere near as bad as Longchamp. Still nobody could come close to speeding thru here.

Old 07-16-2011, 02:17 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,825,031 times
They are so ugly! We can't even really speed in this neighborhood...there are too many cars parked on the side to drive fast. They aren't the smooth bumps either and are a real jolt when you go over them you practically have to stop every 200 ft to get home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary