Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 07:52 AM

32 posts, read 80,813 times

Advertisements

First, I want start by saying that I have a lot of respect for the police and

what they see and do every day.

What bothers me is seeing police cruisers hiding and waiting to catch

speeders instead of being visible on the roads to help maintain safe

speeds and safe driving for most of us. I have never gotten caught by a

speed trap(yes, I do find myself speeding from time to time), but it

just seems like income is more important than safety

when I see these tactics. Have you ever relaxed a little more when you

see the other guy get pulled for speeding and then increased your speed

when the police car was out of site? On 540, most regular drivers already

know when to slow and when to speed. 440 is the same way. I just think

that if these cruisers were out on the roads more and sitting less overall

speeders and wrecks(notice how I didn't say accident) would scale back

some. Just my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2009, 08:05 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,445,190 times
In my opinion I don't speed so I never have to worry about it. It's nice. Of course it's about revenue. I'm more that willing to let those who want to shave 1-2 minutes off of their 10-20 mile commute going 75 on the highway to pay dearly for those precious minutes.

Old 06-08-2009, 08:08 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,936,310 times
North Carolina - at least in this area - seems to have the lowest level of speed enforcement I've experienced in any of the 5 states I've lived in. This seems true on both highways (SHP) and secondary roads (local police/sherriff).

Old 06-08-2009, 08:18 AM

3,307 posts, read 8,559,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
North Carolina - at least in this area - seems to have the lowest level of speed enforcement I've experienced in any of the 5 states I've lived in. This seems true on both highways (SHP) and secondary roads (local police/sherriff).
Agreed and I was telling this to my co-workers the other day. I came from Virginia and police (local and state) are much more visible on the roads in that state IMO. I also spent about a month in the Cleveland, Ohio area a few years back and they literally have police in every single hole they can stuff them up there. I was doing 60 in a 55 mph zone and wondering to myself why people drive slower up there. I found out why...speed limits are strictly enforced in places like that.

NC does a great job of advertising when the police will be out in full force (holiday weekends, etc). Other than that I hardly see cops running radar anywhere on the interstates. In my 3 years here I have yet to see Raleigh city police run radar anywhere...I literally mean that. In Virginia it was a different story.

Old 06-08-2009, 08:54 AM

28 posts, read 94,389 times
First, "speed trap" to me infers that the police are using some sort of seedy practices to force people to speed and then lure them into a situation where they are ticketed.

Consider this for a different perspective. How many times have you driven on a highway and all of a sudden everyone in front of you slams on their brakes? There's a police car on the side of the road and everyone has to slow down or almost come to a complete stop just because they're curious and it causes a huge sudden jam. If you sit a police car in the middle of the median on a highway, it would likely cause congestion for no reason. People will slam on their brakes and then speed up as soon as they pass the police car.

Second, if a police officer has a traffic assignment on the highway for 8-12hrs in a day and he sits in that car and "warns" people not to speed by being visible, what has he accomplished during the day? He has pretty much done nothing but mimic what a speed limit sign does. Police officers aren't there to warn people not to speed, speed limit signs are made for that. Although there aren't quotas (some people will argue this of course) try to come in after a 12 hour day and tell your supervisor you didn't write any tickets or pull anyone over because you thought it would be nicer to warn people not to speed. Nobody likes getting a ticket but that's why police are there.

Old 06-08-2009, 09:02 AM

776 posts, read 1,684,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
Agreed and I was telling this to my co-workers the other day. I came from Virginia and police (local and state) are much more visible on the roads in that state IMO. I also spent about a month in the Cleveland, Ohio area a few years back and they literally have police in every single hole they can stuff them up there. I was doing 60 in a 55 mph zone and wondering to myself why people drive slower up there. I found out why...speed limits are strictly enforced in places like that.

NC does a great job of advertising when the police will be out in full force (holiday weekends, etc). Other than that I hardly see cops running radar anywhere on the interstates. In my 3 years here I have yet to see Raleigh city police run radar anywhere...I literally mean that. In Virginia it was a different story.
Agreed. I've only been passing through Virginia, and I've gotten pulled over 3 times in about 5 years...one for speeding (45 in a 35 in one of those 50 mph down to 35 mph...I didn't slow down fast enough), another for not getting over a lane while a trooper was parked in the grass, and a $95 ticket for having a radar detector unplugged in an unlocked glovebox (the cop said it had to be in the trunk or in a locked glovebox...which is impossible with my Ford EXPLORER with no trunk and no lock on the glovebox!!!). Aggravating.

New Jersey is just as bad, if not worse. As soon as you get across the Delaware Mem Bridge...there's about 3 or 4 speed traps along the first 20 miles of the Turnpike.

In the five years I've had my radar detector in NC, it has not gone off due to a speed trap. Even if there is a cop sitting on the side of 540...the thing doesn't go off...I'm almost wondering if the thing is broken.

Old 06-08-2009, 10:35 AM

871 posts, read 3,018,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post

Absolutely! I drove in Mass. for 28 years and we dealt with aggressive policing tactics, great traffic enforcement, and painful penalties. They didn't catch every moron, but at least they were visible.

Here, I wonder when the heck they are when some of the worst, most aggressive drivers you can imagine are making the roads and highways their own playpen. The aggressive driving my wife and I experience in the Triangle on a daily basis is shameful and avoidable. I don't so much have a problem with someone on the interstate doing 75. It's the yahoos weaving and tailgating and taking chances with the lives of others on mostly the secondary roads. I'll bet many of them don't even realize who they are.

I'm too old and unstable to be in law enforcement, or I would try to make a difference. What is the deal with the traffic roulette that lives and thrives in the area?

Old 06-08-2009, 10:43 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,702,144 times
Imo, police should be setting traps outside of school zones, shopping areas, and neighborhoods with throughways, not on interstates. target the speeders that are dangerous to cross traffic, pedestrians, and children, not speeders on a closed road with no cross traffic.

Old 06-08-2009, 05:41 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,161,997 times
Try Millbrook Rd between Falls and Six Forks for sneaky speed traps.

Old 06-08-2009, 05:52 PM

1,190 posts, read 4,048,960 times
Default reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
Try Millbrook Rd between Falls and Six Forks for sneaky speed traps.
Been that way since the early 70's on that stretch of road. Saw them last week near my home in Five Points in the Glenwood median checking radar. I see plenty EVERY Monday on 264 east, both Knightdale police and the SHP. I drive 40k miles a year as a salesman, and I can tell you, that they are out there checking radar. I see plenty of them daily all over the triangle and state of NC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary