Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2007, 12:49 PM

53 posts, read 248,016 times

Advertisements

We live on a culdesac and have some people that drive really fast. We even have a neighbor that disregards the covenants and rides his ATV all times of the day, very fast. I would love to purchase a speed bump (DOT approved) and install it myself, once utilities have been located.

I have a magazine at work that I received last week that sells many varities of speed bumps.

Anyone in here ever installed one on their subdivision road. I completely understand the ramifications of someone damaging their vehicle or a pedestrian falling and being hurt.

These speed bumps been approved for roadways and used across the country. They are painted a bright yellow and have long stakes for shoring through the ground.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2007, 01:33 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,108,254 times
We are in Cary and live on one of those "cut through" streets. You know, the street everyone cuts through to avoid certain intersections. It can get quite hazardous during busy times. We also have a bunch of kids on the street and we (myself and the neighbors) are in the process of trying to get speed humps installed. It's a LONG, DRAWN OUT PROCESS. I think it will pay off if you are persistent, patient, and follw through with the process.
here is a the letter we received from Cary:

My name is Coray Davis. I am currently the traffic engineer tasked with handling the traffic calming duties here at the Town of Cary. I have received the traffic calming reqeuest form that you mailed and like many residents from many neighborhoods, you are concerned with speeding problems within your community (Sloan Drive in Particular). Typically, traffic calming alternatives are considered as methods of speed mitigation. Below is a general overview of the traffic calming process that is employed by the town of Cary.

I am not sure as to whether you have contacted any law enforcement in the past pertaining to speeding concerns, but before considering traffic calming we generally provide the resident(s) with the phone number to call the traffic safety line (919-319-4521) to report speeding concerns and to have enforcement monitor the specific area. It may be beneficial for you to note the times and locations where the speeding problems are relevant prior to calling.

If enforcement does not result in a reduction of speeds in your neighborhood, then we can proceed with traffic calming measures The next step would be to perform additional traffic data collection. We always collect data before and after every traffic calming project to determine the effect of the traffic calming. It may be a good idea to place the data collection device at a location where you may currently observe higher speeds. The data collector will collect speeds and vehicle volumes. This is the point where we would ask you to provide a specific location to conduct the speed and volume count. Typically, we do not want to place the data collection devices too close to any stop or yield signs. Once data is collected we schedule a meeting with members of your neighborhood that have been chosen as representatives. In some communities an HOA presence is observed and we would deal with them instead. We generally like to work with a group of 4 to 5 people who may serve to represent the community.

Once the meeting has taken place to discuss the results, a plan of action is developed. At this point the project can become very extensive. The plan of action involves establishing areas to place traffic calming devices, coordinating with various departments for plan review, getting town council approval, recruiting the 70% community support during the petition process, and raising the 25% of the total project cost that is required by each neighborhood requesting the traffic calming devices (based on the approved plan). The community steering committee is responsible for the majority of this information. However, my job is to provide any technical assistance you will need when developing the traffic calming design for your community. I would also like to note that since we receive request for traffic calming from numerous neighborhoods, we have to evaluate and make decisions for the best plan of action based on each request. Often times, this comes down to budgeting constraints, community involvement, and careful analysis of study results.

I hope this information will be helpful to you and your community as to whether you want to continue with this process. I am attaching an official traffic calming request form for you to fill out and mail back to me.You can also find general traffic calming on the Town of Cary website at Traffic Calming (http://www.townofcary.org/traffic/trafficoverview.htm - broken link) I think that it would be helpful for you to acquaint yourself and neighbors with the Town policy and procedure for traffic calming on Town's roads which can be found on the traffic calming webpage. Another informative website that would educate you about a multitude of traffic calming methods in addition to speed humps would be TrafficCalming.org - brought to you by Fehr & Peers The Town Council has directed staff to investigate other traffic calming measures besides speed humps

Last edited by lamishra; 10-14-2007 at 02:42 PM..

Old 10-14-2007, 01:37 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,108,254 times
Oh , never mind, I see you were talking about installing it yourself. I'm not sure if that's legal on a city street?

Old 10-14-2007, 01:47 PM

1,219 posts, read 4,218,650 times
Yeah, you can't just go out and screw speedbumps into the street-that's undoubtedly rather illegal. If it's a city street, the city has to do it, and if it's a private street, the association has to do it. Imagine if someone did fall or damage their car? They'll come after YOU, if you installed it.

Either call the city and tell them you want one, or tell your association you want one. Really though, I'd just call the police everytime the ATV goes by! Maybe try parking your cars on the street, legally of course, to impede him a bit.

Old 10-14-2007, 04:01 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,228,525 times
Where'd that don't feed the trolls thread go.....

Old 10-14-2007, 05:33 PM

Location: Between a nook-a-ler reactor and a dump, North Cackalacky
283 posts, read 1,259,603 times
Why just speed bumps? Why not use punji sticks, concertina wire, or speed-triggered Claymore anti-personnel mines? If you're serious about stopping this horrific public safety hazard, use a real solution!

Old 10-14-2007, 08:57 PM

86 posts, read 141,862 times
Let me know what you decide to do about installing those. I would interested in how much they might cost and how difficult they are to install.

Becareful, you may end up making enemies rather than solving a problem with driving habits.

Old 10-15-2007, 05:45 AM

823 posts, read 3,923,062 times
In Chapel Hill there are some speed tables rather than speed bumps on some streets. They are designed to lower the speed to 15 mph vs 5 mph for speed bumps. The top surface of the speed bumps are in red pavers to visually seperate them from the pavement. I believe the town engineers plan them. We are in the process of having some speed reduction measures added to our street. The request process takes a while but it seems to be working.

Old 10-15-2007, 07:30 AM

1,484 posts, read 4,156,087 times
Usually the city doesnt want them because it is more for them to maintain and also emergency services have to slow down for them.

Also, it wont do much for your problem, acually if it is a atv issue, it the becomes something to "jump" like a ramp. When this is happening, call the cops if its illegal by any laws other than HOA (chances are it is). If they start having to pay $ for this, they will stop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary