Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 11:17 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,159,963 times

Advertisements

The states need to reject unfunded mandates such as serving illegals in any way.

When my late Mom worked for Immigration, the only service an illegal got was an immediate trip home.

Birthright citizenship is another stupid thing we do. Unlike other countries, you become a citizen when your mother crosses from Mexico to San Diego in labor making you a citizen.

Then, how can you feel right deporting the illegal parents of a citizen baby?

Bullfeathers, I say!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2007, 11:21 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,086,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
The states need to reject unfunded mandates such as serving illegals in any way.

When my late Mom worked for Immigration, the only service an illegal got was an immediate trip home.

Birthright citizenship is another stupid thing we do. Unlike other countries, you become a citizen when your mother crosses from Mexico to San Diego in labor making you a citizen.

Then, how can you feel right deporting the illegal parents of a citizen baby?

Bullfeathers, I say!!

Whoo boy, I'm stepping out on a limb here and venturing into politics---probably a mistake. But...

Should the baby of two illegal immigrants be considered a citizen just because Mom and Dad slipped over the border to have said infant on American soil?

It's a very gray area and a slippery slope once you start down that road. (which we already have, unfortunately)

Old 08-09-2007, 11:25 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,159,963 times
Very slippery.

In Switzerland, for example, a child of LEGAL immigrants must apply after age 12 if they want to be Swiss. Otherwise, they get the citizenship of their parents.

A slippery slope. I wish it were pointed at the home countries of the illegals so they could be started on their path home with a push down the slope.

Old 08-09-2007, 11:50 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,086,562 times
You'll get no argument from me there. I'm not a fan of birthright citizenship though as I said, there are gray areas there.

Old 08-09-2007, 02:08 PM

7,573 posts, read 10,617,651 times
How did a thread about changes in school hours in Clayton end up with the influx of illegal aliens......... is there a connection here I'm missing?

Old 08-09-2007, 02:32 PM

1,484 posts, read 4,155,260 times
Default to stay on topic

It just went that way because now people in Johnston county are getting hitting with the "school" issue. When this overcrowding happens are current funding is helping then the "system" needs to be looked at. If you base it off of people paying into a system and using it you are fine, when people use it without paying this is what you get. Is isnt that complicated, the powers that be make it seem like it is since illegal immigration is becoming a "taboo" subject.

It is always hard to stay on topic while completely covering an issue. Johnston county is crazy to think that they would be so close to Wake county yet not run into these issues. As I said if the system is being followed all else will fail.

As far as the children of illegals goes, if we didnt let illegals into the country in the first place then the children wouldnt be here to even be an issue. Breaking one law and getting away from it is what the issue is. Find the root cause and stop it which in this case is people coming here illegally in the first place.

Bottom line:
Public school systems almost EVERYWHERE are going downhill because of this. It is time for us to wake up and admit that not everyone is playing by the rules and stop making the working, tax paying legal people (of all decent) suffer because of this.

Old 08-09-2007, 04:08 PM

850 posts, read 3,625,481 times
Actually, there's been alot more that's been happening on this issue but I hesitate to post more on it. Here's what I've learned from emails via board members and from Johnston County commissioners.

School budgets are approved in 2 sections. One for expenses which are the daily operating expenses. The other is Capital Outlay (which is for buildings and busses). The Capital Outlay was approved. The Expenses was not even with a 12% increase.

A Johnston County commission states that he and other commissioners are suprised to hear of the 3 tier bus schedule since the bus budget was approved AND the busses needed to be ordered back in March for August delivery. They were not ordered.

The budget must be spent as it is allocated UNLESS the School Superintendant goes to the county and asks for the money to be reallocated. Then he can spend it as he sees fit. Dr. Parker, the superintendant has not yet asked for this reallocation but there is a meeting on Tuesday at 6pm and though it's not on the itinerary, it is assumed that someone from the school will be asking for this reallocation.

The issues are (to me) that the Superintendant is acting solely and without any support. The school board was JUST informed of this time change issue and since its been noted that Dr. Parker wants this effective before school starts, the board is assuming he wants them to forego the correct operational procedure for such things as this (which includes and introduction of an issue and a 30 day period in which the board members can investigate how they want to proceed).

There are many many people appalled by the handling of this. And it is not related to illegal immigrants but from all I've been able to read the past few days falls squarely on the lap of one person who is making unilateral decisions about the fate our children.

I don't even know yet if my school (River Dell) is affected...the paper I believe stated it was schools within Clayton township so that would mean we are NOT affected. But I am so miffed about the handling of this that I'm keeping my nose in it as I don't want this to be how our school system handles ANYTHING.

<breathing deeply>
Lauren
PS....PM me if you need phone numbers of the board.

Old 08-15-2007, 07:20 AM

1 posts, read 2,648 times
Default Hours

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauren4521 View Post
Actually, there's been alot more that's been happening on this issue but I hesitate to post more on it. Here's what I've learned from emails via board members and from Johnston County commissioners.

School budgets are approved in 2 sections. One for expenses which are the daily operating expenses. The other is Capital Outlay (which is for buildings and busses). The Capital Outlay was approved. The Expenses was not even with a 12% increase.

A Johnston County commission states that he and other commissioners are suprised to hear of the 3 tier bus schedule since the bus budget was approved AND the busses needed to be ordered back in March for August delivery. They were not ordered.

The budget must be spent as it is allocated UNLESS the School Superintendant goes to the county and asks for the money to be reallocated. Then he can spend it as he sees fit. Dr. Parker, the superintendant has not yet asked for this reallocation but there is a meeting on Tuesday at 6pm and though it's not on the itinerary, it is assumed that someone from the school will be asking for this reallocation.

The issues are (to me) that the Superintendant is acting solely and without any support. The school board was JUST informed of this time change issue and since its been noted that Dr. Parker wants this effective before school starts, the board is assuming he wants them to forego the correct operational procedure for such things as this (which includes and introduction of an issue and a 30 day period in which the board members can investigate how they want to proceed).

There are many many people appalled by the handling of this. And it is not related to illegal immigrants but from all I've been able to read the past few days falls squarely on the lap of one person who is making unilateral decisions about the fate our children.

I don't even know yet if my school (River Dell) is affected...the paper I believe stated it was schools within Clayton township so that would mean we are NOT affected. But I am so miffed about the handling of this that I'm keeping my nose in it as I don't want this to be how our school system handles ANYTHING.

<breathing deeply>
Lauren
PS....PM me if you need phone numbers of the board.
The following schools will have these new start and end times:
CLAYTON HIGH: 7:07 a.m. to 2:10 p.m.
CLAYTON MIDDLE: 7:47 a.m. to 3 p.m.
RIVERWOOD MIDDLE: 8 a.m. to 3 p.m.
EAST CLAYTON ELEMENTARY: 8:45 a.m. to 3:45 p.m.
COOPER ELEMENTARY: 8:45 a.m. to 3:45 p.m.
WEST CLAYTON ELEMENTARY: 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
RIVERWOOD ELEMENTARY: 8:45 a.m. to 3:45 p.m.

From the looks of it, (the new hours that affect some schools), it seems as though it doesn't affect River Dell or Archer Lodge Middle (lucky you!). Seems strange since all of the schools in this area are within 5 miles of each other. Both of my children will be affected, but we will adjust. My son loves it, since he will get to sleep in a little later!
I think most parents are frustarted with this issue because it was kept under wraps until just a few weeks ago. If this was something that has been known that would come about back before school let out, then the public should have been made aware of it.

Old 08-15-2007, 07:37 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,030,381 times
Having much experience with school systems and with population growth. This becomes one of lifes inevitables. It is a common understanding in education that transportation and lunch drive much if not most of when school begins and ends. The number of vehicles and drivers available does not usually increase at the same rate as student population growth and thus has to make adjustments. Increased tiering of start times becomes the norm. Cafeteria decisions drive when lunch can be served and how long is necessary for lunch and how many shifts. Bell schedules are determined around those. As schools become larger either the cafeteria becomes larger or you add more lunch shifts. Please remember if the bus schedule is to tight you will be upset when your child stands at the bus stop in the rain for ten extra minutes because the bus is late. Does the bus catch red lights 10, 30, 70 or 90 percent of the time? Think of your commute to work. Is it the exact same amount of time each day? Do you want a cushion for the bus driver so he drives at a sane rate of speed? All of this requires a staggered schedule to provide needed time between runs. Wake has year round schools because of population growth. Do we want increased taxes? Lower teacher pay and a shortage of? Controlled growth with restraints based on infrastructure? Perhaps part of the solution to help the Johnson County future is tax breaks for over 55 housing and zoning restrictions on minimum lot size. Seniors don't usually require an increase in the school budget. They pay lots of taxes and don't commute to work as much. Larger lot size means fewer kids per acre. These are all things that other communities have done to control growth and this is a growth related issue.

Old 08-15-2007, 05:45 PM

850 posts, read 3,625,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reader2 View Post
From the looks of it, (the new hours that affect some schools), it seems as though it doesn't affect River Dell or Archer Lodge Middle (lucky you!). Seems strange since all of the schools in this area are within 5 miles of each other. Both of my children will be affected, but we will adjust. My son loves it, since he will get to sleep in a little later!
I heard that just the schools within the Clayton City lines were affected. River Dell is outside. I was still concerned however since its the same school board. I am still not happy with how this was handled and it makes me worry about future issues.

My only issue with the later school times is that its important for me to allow my children to have free play time. If our school day is extended, they will lose that. As it is, if they take the bus home, they get home at 4:30. That is with the day ending at 3:15 since we have to wait for the middle school buses (River Dell does not have their own). BTW...we're 5 min from the school.

Lauren
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary