Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 10:19 PM

1 posts, read 1,757 times

Advertisements

I am new in the area and need recommendations for an oncologist specializing in breast cancer. Also need recommendation for a radiologist with special interest in treating breast cancer.

I am interested in going to Duke, UNC-CH or Wake Forest and finding which is on the cutting edge of research and treatment of breast cancer.

Will these centers help access clinical trials at other tx. centers when appropriate? Thanks for all help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2011, 11:08 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,904,584 times
For the radiologist, I recommend Rachel Blitzblau:
Blitzblau, Rachel C. - DukeHealth.org

Duke has many clinical trials at any given time.

Old 03-18-2011, 11:56 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,845,480 times
Duke has a phenomenal reputation for cancer treatment. My mother was treated by them (not breast) after her Dx and "beat the odds" by a couple of years.

Best thoughts your way for your treatment!!

Old 03-19-2011, 03:54 AM

4,265 posts, read 11,433,378 times
I work in Oncology for Duke. Here are some medical oncologists who specialize in breast cancer:
P. Kelly Marcom, MD
Kimberly Blackwell, MD.
Gretchen Kimmick, MD.
Jeffrey Peppercorn, MD.

All are very knowledegable and up on the latest research. I think the choice wqould come down to personality.

Old 03-19-2011, 10:16 AM

4,265 posts, read 11,433,378 times
Radiation oncologists at Duke specializing in breast cancer:
Janet Horton, MD
Rachel Blitzbau, MD

both are wonderful.

Old 03-19-2011, 08:06 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,094,027 times
I go to Cancer Centers of North Carolina. I like it very much. Duke is wonderful and you can get into clinical trials, etc., but a lot of other survivors I've met have complained about the bad bedside manner there. My onc. is Dr. Elizabeth Campbell. The radiation techs were amazing there, too. The other folks I've met have said UNC's bedside manner is better than Duke's.

Old 03-19-2011, 08:56 PM

1,036 posts, read 1,954,767 times
My wife's oncologist was Dr. Campbell at Rex as well, and she was extremely happy with the way she was treated. Highly recommended.

Old 03-20-2011, 07:36 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,987,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annesg View Post
I go to Cancer Centers of North Carolina. I like it very much. Duke is wonderful and you can get into clinical trials, etc., but a lot of other survivors I've met have complained about the bad bedside manner there. My onc. is Dr. Elizabeth Campbell. The radiation techs were amazing there, too. The other folks I've met have said UNC's bedside manner is better than Duke's.
My mother also goes to Cancer Centers of NC (not for breast cancer though). She's had wonderful care, and I've been impressed by everyone I've met there.

Old 03-22-2011, 07:43 PM

17 posts, read 43,566 times
Dr. Campbell at CCNC is also my oncologist and I like her very much. I also like CCNC staff and facility (though I've only been in the infusion area a few times).

I just celebrated six years since my breast cancer diagnosis. I should note, however, that I did not have my treatment here in the Triangle; Dr. Campbell has been closely monitoring me for three years, due to my BRCA+ status, etc.

Old 03-23-2011, 06:42 AM

3,501 posts, read 6,171,816 times
My oncology experience at Duke is not breast-related, but after a year of dealing with Duke for my husband's radiation and chemo treatments for a different kind of cancer, I feel qualified to comment on the "bedside manner" comment. Every PERSON with whom we interacted was caring and kind. The MEDICAL TREATMENT was excellent! However ...

"The SYSTEM" there is a godawful mess and caused us so much stress. It was all stupid stuff like them not being able to get lab results from one floor to another in less than 1.5 hours! Or a patient intake process in the chemo lab where we'd wait for a couple of hours without anyone keeping us updated as to why we were waiting. (And it was usually something that could've been resolved in 15 minutes if they'd let us know.) Billing was occasionally problematic. And like any large provider, there were numerous different offices to consult for different needs -- who do you call to REschedule an MRI? I had to be SO aggressive in dealing with these "system-related" things. It caused a lot of unnecessary stress.

Would I go there again for cancer treatment? Probably. Would I complain the whole time about how badly they handle the administrative and process stuff? Probably?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary