Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 04:11 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,752,811 times

Advertisements

There was an oncology post back in March. Instead of reviving that one, I am starting a new one for my specific concerns and questions. (I hope that is okay.)

I'm under 45 and have a diagnosis of breast cancer. I won't know the stage etc until surgery. I'm very confindent in my surgeon. But I honestly feel like the oncology treatment is the most important phase.

Keeping in mind my age and that I have 2 school aged children (oldest is 11) I'm looking for recommendations of either Duke or UNC. Primary concern is I want the best treatment possible so I have the best long term outcome possible. Secondary concern is juggling chemo in w/ my family's life and supporting / find support for me, my children's, and my husband's emotional needs during this journey. And lastly would be bedside manner. I can put up w/ alot but would prefer not to have to dread treatment because of the people, environment etc.

I do feel EXTREMELY fortunate to be here and be able to choose between Duke and UNC for this phase in my life. I'm just hoping to get more info especially from women under 50.

Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2011, 05:47 PM

46 posts, read 130,078 times
I am 42 and was diagnosed in February. I choose Duke and I have been very happy with my team of doctors. The bedside manner is good and there is an abundance of support programs for every member of your family. I have had surgery - bilateral radical masectomy and everyone that has seen my scar thinks it looks very good compared to others they have seen. I am now in the chemo stage and the nurses are the best in the treatment center. Honestly, I don't think you can go wrong with either UNC or Duke. You will get cutting edge care from both. Good luck on this journey. You will most certainly not be alone. I was amazed at the number of women I have met that either had or someone close to them have had breast cancer. Even the nurses and they are good sources of support and information.

Old 06-30-2011, 06:44 PM

68 posts, read 185,293 times
Hi, unfortunately I do not have advice re UNC vs Duke for treatment, but I wanted to offer my support. My son is a leukemia survivor. We are from South Florida, spent 6 months in Boston for a bone marrow transplant and recently relocated from FL to Raleigh... to be be close to Duke. My son is doing very well and living a normal life. I give thanks every day. As someone from another region I agree you are so fortunateto have superb resources in your vicinity. I can only imagine your fear but you will make the right decision. I am a cancer survivor myself. A doctor once said to me, "You're a MOM. You're tough." You can do it! Best of luck, be strong and keep the faith.

Old 06-30-2011, 07:23 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,088,540 times
I wish I could give direct experience of one of the two--my kids were 5 and 8 when I was diagnosed (I was under 40) and it was really hard. I lived in FL and went to the Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville. When I moved here and had to finish treatment, I went to Cancer Centers of North Carolina; my onc there is Dr. Elizabeth Campbell. She's great. For other concerns I have been to Duke and have been very impressed with the level of knowledge there and wouldn't hesitate to go straight there for any medical concern whatsoever. My husbands uncle works there, and I would be happy to ask him for a recommendation for you if you like.

My cancer treatment finished at the end of 2008. I wish you the best and would be happy to be of any help I can!

Old 06-30-2011, 07:34 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXmom View Post
There was an oncology post back in March. Instead of reviving that one, I am starting a new one for my specific concerns and questions. (I hope that is okay.)

I'm under 45 and have a diagnosis of breast cancer. I won't know the stage etc until surgery. I'm very confindent in my surgeon. But I honestly feel like the oncology treatment is the most important phase.

Keeping in mind my age and that I have 2 school aged children (oldest is 11) I'm looking for recommendations of either Duke or UNC. Primary concern is I want the best treatment possible so I have the best long term outcome possible. Secondary concern is juggling chemo in w/ my family's life and supporting / find support for me, my children's, and my husband's emotional needs during this journey. And lastly would be bedside manner. I can put up w/ alot but would prefer not to have to dread treatment because of the people, environment etc.

I do feel EXTREMELY fortunate to be here and be able to choose between Duke and UNC for this phase in my life. I'm just hoping to get more info especially from women under 50.

Thank you in advance.

Just wanted to say how sorry I am to hear of your diagnosis - that really sucks!

Can't comment on the doc's there, but if you want any kind of second opinion one of the best places in the state is in Charlotte - Blumenthal Cancer Center. http://www.blumenthalcancercenter.org/

Best of luck to you as you go thru treatment!

Old 06-30-2011, 07:52 PM

294 posts, read 829,049 times
Thinking of you and hoping for the best.

I had cancer at 19 years old and was treated at Dana Faber (DFCI) in Boston. When I moved to Raleigh, my doctor at DFCI said Duke is where he would send his family. With that said, the urology department at Duke was named after his grandfather (wonder why he grimaced at my UNC hat during my first treatment)! I found Duke to be great for my follow-up with some of the country's best oncologists practicing.

Best of luck to you.

Old 06-30-2011, 08:46 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,752,811 times
Thank you to all of you who posted and sent PMs. Your support, information, and ideas mean so very much. The City Data Family here continues to amaze me in the best possible way.

PJM: I'm sending good thoughts your way for your treatment. I hope this time next summer finds us both cancer free and with a new perspective on life. All my best to you!!

NCBound: I can deal with and accept cancer in myself. But I just don't know if I could handle having a child sick with cancer. You are one incredibly strong Mama! I wish you and your child continued good health!

Virtual hugs to you all! And happy holiday weekend!

Old 07-01-2011, 03:20 AM

4,266 posts, read 11,418,220 times
PDX - I'll DM you. I work in oncology at Duke. Here to listen anytime you need a shoulder.

Old 07-01-2011, 07:57 AM

804 posts, read 2,003,337 times
PDX - wishing you comfort & healing during your treatment! i don't have specific information on breast cancer treatment other than anecdotal evidence that several friends moms, grandmothers, & aunts have been treated for breast cancer at duke & had great experiences.

my husband is going on 3 years in remission from leukemia & was treated at duke. i cannot say enough good things for the treatment he received in that particular area of oncology. we were very grateful to be here with duke essentially in our back yard.

so, based on the above, my unqualified opinion would be duke all the way.

Old 07-01-2011, 10:55 AM

1,381 posts, read 2,101,844 times
One of my g/f's step-mother was treated at UNC (Stage 3 breast cancer) and is in her 2nd year of remission.
Big hugs go out to you - my oldest is 11 also - I can't even imagine what you must be feeling. And it's a great reminder to me to schedule my mammogram.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary