Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 02:33 PM

5 posts, read 16,485 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,
I'm a HS student, and I desperately need to find a place to live in summer for six weeks (June 16th to July 25th) since I'll be doing internship at Duke this summer. Can you please let me know if there are great websites/contacts/suggestions I should try?
Thanks a lot.

Old 05-20-2008, 02:38 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,006,115 times
One idea would be to look on/advertise on Craigslist. Are you thinking of just renting a room ??

Old 05-21-2008, 08:12 PM

I actually tried the Craiglist...but I can't quite find a good one thru the list unfortunately. Yeah, just a room is fine with me.

Old 05-22-2008, 09:17 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,985,188 times
Can Duke help you out? I would think that they would be able to suggest housing for high school aged interns. They may even have on-campus housing, since it's summer. I don't know many places that would rent to a high school student. Nor, as a mother, would I want my child just renting a random place to live.

Old 05-23-2008, 07:59 AM

haha....I see what you are talking about, because I'm a minor, I can't be allowed to stay on Duke Campus! Isn't that kind of ironic at its extreme? Does it mean that off campus housing is best for me?! lol. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to give it the best shot and try to get an off campus housing...I posted at craiglist...and I got one really good offer...I hope it works out...really hope so. It's in a quiet environment 1.9 miles from Duke cancer Center and stuffs....thanks a lot Workingmomof2 for ur advice though!

Old 05-23-2008, 08:35 AM

321 posts, read 1,577,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innovative View Post
haha....I see what you are talking about, because I'm a minor, I can't be allowed to stay on Duke Campus! Isn't that kind of ironic at its extreme? Does it mean that off campus housing is best for me?! lol. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to give it the best shot and try to get an off campus housing...I posted at craiglist...and I got one really good offer...I hope it works out...really hope so. It's in a quiet environment 1.9 miles from Duke cancer Center and stuffs....thanks a lot Workingmomof2 for ur advice though!
I think the point was that you probably SHOULD stay on campus. Here's a link to Summer housing at Duke. I am sure the person you will be with can help if you ask them. I would not recommend off campus housing as a high schooler without knowing who you will be staying with.
Residence Life and Housing Services :: :: Housing :: Summer (http://rlhs.studentaffairs.duke.edu/housing/specialhousing/summer/index.html - broken link)

Old 05-23-2008, 09:06 AM

1,921 posts, read 4,773,627 times
A lot of incoming freshmen are minors, they are made to stay on campus housing. When I did a summer program as a high school student in VA I stayed in a dorm. I would definitely see what the program director/admin suggests and see where previous interns stayed. I would not think that they make minors find their own housing especially for sponsored internship programs. Unless this is just some summer 'shadowing' thing you are doing then you should discuss with the person you are working for.

Old 06-07-2008, 10:03 AM

Thanks a lot guys for ur suggestions.

I actually talked with the Duke Housing people, and they told me that i do NOT qualify for any alternative housing since I was a minor! I infact contacted them even before posting in this forum.

Now, I am residing in a small room (in a house which belongs to a 50+ year old female middle school teacher...I think she lives alone). It is 3.85 miles away from Cancer Center.

Now, I'm deciding upon if I should be thinking of biking to cancer center or just Data Bus? Which should I do you think? Well, i'm feeling like biking if and ONLY if the journey would be safe, in that case, it can save me a lot of time and also I'd have very flexibility.

Any other suggestions from anybody?

Thanks!

Old 06-07-2008, 11:04 AM

4,606 posts, read 7,688,037 times
What do they consider a minor, what is their minimum age requirement?

Sorry it did not work out for you.

Old 06-07-2008, 11:18 AM

18 is their minimum age requirement :/...living in Durham all by myself is just a totally scary thought..i'm trying to think less and just see how everything turns out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary