Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2009, 10:23 AM

360 posts, read 995,949 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I am in a little bit of a bind and could really use some advice I have been working in the same field for 7 years, a very specialized field performing asbestos, lead paint, and mold building inspections. I guess I was making too much money, because the company hired a kid fresh out of college, and I trained him for my job, and helped him to get all his licenses. Well, you guessed it, I got laid off and he now has my job This happened in April, and luckily I've been able to collect unemployment the whole time, but now that's about to run out and I don't exactly know what direction to go. When I first was laid off I knew I had some time, so I narrowed my search to the triangle area because I didn't want to move, and I tried to get another job in the same field, but apparently this isn't an in demand job right now. After a few months I figured that I wasn't going to find something in the same field, so I broadened my search to include other jobs I know I could do, but no employer wants to take a chance on an employee who has no direct experience when they have 1,000 people applying for the same position. So recently I have come to the conclusion that I will need to move in order to get the same salary I was getting in the same field, but even that hasn't worked out so well, I have wasted money and time traveling to states all over the east coast but nothing has panned out so far. So now I feel I am back to square one, and it really pisses me off! To make matters worse, I am a full time single dad to a 7 year old, so it's not like I can even work in a restaurant because I would pay more in child care than what I'd make working. I had thought about going back to school, but I have no idea what job will be in demand when I graduate, and I'd hate to spend the time and money for an education that doesn't get me anywhere. Also I don't know where I'd come up with the money to live while I go to school, or who would take care of my son while I try to make some money on the side. So does anyone have a suggestion? Are there any entry level jobs that employers are willing to take a chance in hiring me, and that pay enough to support a dependant? Or should I go back to school, and if so for what? Does anyone know of any financial aid available to single parents? I had looked online and really didn't see anything for people looking to go back to school, other than FAFSA, but that wouldn't provide enough to live on while studying. Well hopefully someone here can advise me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2009, 02:25 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,170,204 times
Dept of Correction may still be hiring even with freeze.

Old 02-15-2009, 03:03 PM

1,489 posts, read 5,695,827 times
What about residential inspections?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary