Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 08:07 AM

9,196 posts, read 25,040,913 times

Advertisements

A bit of a trend here, isn't there? (Except for Vicki, but she's always an outlier.) Seems most people - and least up until a few years ago - moved here due to jobs, often because their company transferred them here. (My story too). A lot of people came because they had to, but stayed because they wanted to.

Are we now seeing more people choosing to move here with the hope of finding something? (Whether it's a job or a better life in some way.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2011, 08:45 AM

3,502 posts, read 6,197,245 times
I moved here 22 years ago (has it been that long??) for grad school, loved it, and stayed.

Old 03-03-2011, 08:47 AM

21,087 posts, read 29,456,625 times
Employment. Loving every minute...well almost every minute...

And what they said---->

Quote:
Originally Posted by rory breaker View Post
Job offer and relocation from my company, came from Philly. Love it here, havent looked back (aside from the food):

People are friendly
Atmosphere is warm & inviting - people come here to live a more relaxed lifestyle and get AWAY from stress
Good values professionally & personally
More tolerable winters and longer spring/fall "perfect" weather
Less traffic
Less congestion
Better cost of living, including housing - nicer houses for much less on nicer land with nicer surroundings...no downside here
2 hrs from the beach, 3 hrs from the mountains, 5 hrs from DC, 5hrs from Atlanta...great location

Could go on...

Old 03-03-2011, 09:12 AM

271 posts, read 703,318 times
Cost of living. Having the ability to purchase a home

Old 03-03-2011, 09:21 AM

398 posts, read 1,296,794 times
Husband was transferred here. I feel pretty at home after a year and half.

Old 03-03-2011, 09:30 AM

553 posts, read 1,278,113 times
I am from Western PA originally and lived in WNY for 19 years. We moved because of the weather and high taxes. The weather up north was having serious impact on my health.

We love it here. People are very friendly, we love our neighborhood and home. Couldn't imagine going back.

Old 03-03-2011, 09:43 AM

533 posts, read 1,205,404 times
We moved here from my home state of Michigan nearly 18 months ago. Coming here was a leap of faith for me, we had just begun to entertain the idea of moving out of state when my huband received a great job offer. I was 9 months pregnant when the offer came in, and 6 weeks later found myself stepping on NC soil for the first time with a toddler and a newborn in tow.

So far, our family loves it here, but in many ways I'm still adjusting. During my last trip to Michigan, I felt rather in-between - I no longer fit where I once did, but didn't quite fit here either. Slowly, this is becoming more and more like home. We keep a running list of things that sound interesting for us to do, and try to explore our new home as often as possible. As many have pointed out on this board before, being away from our extended family has been the most difficult part. I'm not sure that we quite understood how hard that would be. But, the opportunity has been a wonderful experience for our immediate family, which has made all of the difficulties worth it.

IMO, the experience of relocating is what you make it. You can choose to embrace it, or choose to be miserable. Me? I'm choosing to embrace it, and I've not regretted that decision.

Old 03-03-2011, 10:04 AM

1,695 posts, read 4,698,937 times
i moved here when i was 6. Lived in 6 other states before that (mostly out west) Hubby moved here from Japan when he was about the same age I believe.

its home to us. We consider ourselves locals. I've traveled a lot in my 33 years, and can honestly say, I wouldnt want to live anywhere other than NC. We're looking forward to moving to Wilmington in the next year or so, but that's because we want to be closer to the beach, not because we 'dislike' where we are.

Old 03-03-2011, 10:07 AM

553 posts, read 1,278,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea1107 View Post
We moved here from my home state of Michigan nearly 18 months ago. Coming here was a leap of faith for me, we had just begun to entertain the idea of moving out of state when my huband received a great job offer. I was 9 months pregnant when the offer came in, and 6 weeks later found myself stepping on NC soil for the first time with a toddler and a newborn in tow.

So far, our family loves it here, but in many ways I'm still adjusting. During my last trip to Michigan, I felt rather in-between - I no longer fit where I once did, but didn't quite fit here either. Slowly, this is becoming more and more like home. We keep a running list of things that sound interesting for us to do, and try to explore our new home as often as possible. As many have pointed out on this board before, being away from our extended family has been the most difficult part. I'm not sure that we quite understood how hard that would be. But, the opportunity has been a wonderful experience for our immediate family, which has made all of the difficulties worth it.

IMO, the experience of relocating is what you make it. You can choose to embrace it, or choose to be miserable. Me? I'm choosing to embrace it, and I've not regretted that decision.
What a positive statement!!!

Old 03-03-2011, 11:42 AM

1,500 posts, read 2,918,574 times
I got a job offer $10K more than where I was living and the hiring company paid full relo. I was young, broke and had 3 mouths to feed so that was good enough for me. I took an apartment that was big enough, safe enough, and within about 10 minutes of work (RDU area of RTP). Those were my priorities at the time.

I rented for about 16 months before deciding I wanted to stay long term and buy a house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary