Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2011, 07:19 PM
DPK

4,595 posts, read 5,738,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfishGumbo View Post
The problem is that so many people call it the "fast lane." Everyone thinks they're "fast." Unfortunately, they're mistaken. I don't care if you're going 90 mph -- if you're in the left lane you need to be PASSING someone, or you need to MOVE OVER.

If you're having trouble with tailgaters on a regular basis, that's a pretty good indication that you're in the frigging way on a regular basis.

Indeed. We all drive at different speeds and what some of us perceive as fast can be completely different to someone else. I don't understand people who think they're waging some war with the people behind them that "oh the speed limit is 60 and I'm going 65, that's way fast enough" and then putter along in that far left lane while a line of cars builds behind them in rush hour traffic.

Nobody should be the judge (outside of law enforcement) that the speed they are traveling is the perfect speed for their lane and others should follow suite. Traffic is dynamic. The same stretch of road can see a range of speeds.

If the car behind you wants to exceed your speed, then let them. Odds are if they are dumb enough they are going to get pulled over anyways. If enough vehicles want to move at that cars speed in that lane then it sort of becomes the new defacto speed standard for that lane. Slower traffic moves right. Slower traffic than that moves further right.

All you are doing by sitting in that lane is ticking off the person behind you to the point where they are going to do something incredibly stupid. Don't try to rationalize that you're teaching them a lesson. All the person is thinking about is where they need to go and how fast they need to go to get there. You don't know what their rationale is. The safest thing for you to do is just get out of their way.

Note that I don't condone tailgating or excessive speeding. Just trying to make a point that nobody here really has the authority to decide what the perfect speed is for the lane of travel they are in. The "perfect speed" is always changing whether it be due to congestion, weather, etc etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2011, 07:55 PM

1,521 posts, read 2,768,086 times
Quote:
The problem is that so many people call it the "fast lane." Everyone thinks they're "fast." Unfortunately, they're mistaken. I don't care if you're going 90 mph -- if you're in the left lane you need to be PASSING someone, or you need to MOVE OVER.

If you're having trouble with tailgaters on a regular basis, that's a pretty good indication that you're in the frigging way on a regular basis.
Well said. Totally agreed - if everyone operated with this mentality we'd be fine.

Old 03-01-2011, 12:02 AM

3,050 posts, read 4,998,434 times
Quote:

Exactly. Now the irony is, what do most tailgaters do after you move over to let them by? They continue on in the left lane! So apparently the law they are trying to enforce on everybody else does not apply to them...

Old 03-01-2011, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyAussie View Post
Exactly. Now the irony is, what do most tailgaters do after you move over to let them by? They continue on in the left lane! So apparently the law they are trying to enforce on everybody else does not apply to them...
Not true. If you are the fastest car on the road, and you dont have dim bulbs in the left lane holding you up, you will naturally be passing everyone on the left.

The minute you become NOT the fastest car on the road....just like those before you, get out of the way.

Old 03-01-2011, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rory breaker View Post
Not true. If you are the fastest car on the road, and you dont have dim bulbs in the left lane holding you up, you will naturally be passing everyone on the left.

The minute you become NOT the fastest car on the road....just like those before you, get out of the way.
Sounds to me like you are interpreting the law to suit your own driving style. When you do that, you become part of the problem.

Old 03-01-2011, 07:48 AM

34,941 posts, read 36,312,015 times
Quote:
Sounds to me like you are interpreting the law to suit your own driving style. When you do that, you become part of the problem.
I agree. Why not just pass and move back over to drive on the right?

Sure, you may have to pass again down the road, but around here there's really no need to exceed 70.

Old 03-01-2011, 07:48 AM
DPK

4,595 posts, read 5,738,243 times
Quote:
Think about it this way. If it's rush hour traffic and the speeder is going 80 mph and everyone in the second-from-left lane are going 75ish mph, the speedier driver going 80 mph would be darting in and out of the far left lane extremely frequently. It wouldn't make sense. If anything he'd be more likely to cause an accident by constantly merging in and out of that far left lane. It's safer for him to keep passing people in that lane.

Old 03-01-2011, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpk View Post
think about it this way. If it's rush hour traffic and the speeder is going 80 mph and everyone in the second-from-left lane are going 75ish mph, the speedier driver going 80 mph would be darting in and out of the far left lane extremely frequently. It wouldn't make sense. If anything he'd be more likely to cause an accident by constantly merging in and out of that far left lane. It's safer for him to keep passing people in that lane.
bingo.

Old 03-01-2011, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPK View Post
Think about it this way. If it's rush hour traffic and the speeder is going 80 mph and everyone in the second-from-left lane are going 75ish mph, the speedier driver going 80 mph would be darting in and out of the far left lane extremely frequently. It wouldn't make sense. If anything he'd be more likely to cause an accident by constantly merging in and out of that far left lane. It's safer for him to keep passing people in that lane.
I'm surprised to hear that you can drive at 80mph around hear during rush hour.

Is this even an issue in rush hour? Aren't all the lanes pretty much full during that time anyway?

I was really talking about times when the highway is not congested.

Old 03-01-2011, 08:41 AM

Quote:
I'm surprised to hear that you can drive at 80mph around hear during rush hour.

Is this even an issue in rush hour? Aren't all the lanes pretty much full during that time anyway?

I was really talking about times when the highway is not congested.
When the highway is not congested, it really doesnt matter who is in the left lane right? People should try to honor the left lane as the passing lane. But if you are moving faster than everyone, and you feel its safer to stay left than to weave in and out every 10 seconds, then you should stay left, as long as you're in no one's way.

The fundamentals of courteous, safe driving are to not disrupt other drivers on the road, whether they be slower or faster. However you want to do that, the world will be a better place
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary