Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2008, 01:39 PM

550 posts, read 1,488,009 times

Advertisements

I've noticed a lot more weeds this year than I did last year, which makes sense considering there was a drought last summer. However, I think this year's weed problem is worse than the year before as well, and there was no drought then. Do other people notice this, or is it just me? Also, is there a reason for it? My boyfriend and I were hypothesizing that perhaps everyone got lazy about yard work after last year's drought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2008, 02:36 PM

355 posts, read 1,503,262 times
We are first time home owners. Ever since we moved into our house end of may, weeds have been a problem. Its gotten out of hand. Husband and i constantly pluck them by hand, but we can't seem to keep up with them. :-(

Old 08-15-2008, 02:49 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,112,765 times
We have noticed them being bad this year too. I wonder if a bunch of weeds went dormant last last year during the drought and came back with a vengance this year with the decent rainfall.

We basically nuke our yard weekly and they're still everywhere. Make sure you get some pre-emergent next year in late winter/early spring.

Old 08-15-2008, 06:04 PM

550 posts, read 1,488,009 times
Oh yes. I didn't put down any pre-emergent this year because I had basically given up on my yard. Weeds won last year, I couldn't even compete. However, the problem is even in the flower beds and curb strip this year. Maybe it's my own fault for not putting down pre-emergent. Or maybe all the good stuff was weakened from the drought, leaving an opening for the weeds to flourish.

Old 08-15-2008, 06:11 PM

261 posts, read 1,217,211 times
Default Blame global warming....

How ironic you should pose this question. I just read in a magazine article that the increase in carbon dioxide in the atmosphere is linked to increase of weeds. Supposedly this will have a big impact on farmers. Could this be true?

Old 08-15-2008, 06:34 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,291,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starla View Post
Oh yes. I didn't put down any pre-emergent this year because I had basically given up on my yard. Weeds won last year, I couldn't even compete. However, the problem is even in the flower beds and curb strip this year. Maybe it's my own fault for not putting down pre-emergent. Or maybe all the good stuff was weakened from the drought, leaving an opening for the weeds to flourish.
I too have noticed an increase of weeds in my yard this year. I think it is because I wasn't very diligent with pre-emergent and broad leaf weed applications. I also didn't overseed in the fall which left a lot of bare spots and prevented a thick lush lawn from shadowing out the weeds.

FWIW, I would avoid putting any kind of pre-emergent in flower beds as they could have a negative impact on anything you plant in the bed. A good mulch cover and a little elbow grease should keep most of the weeds from invading your beds.

Old 08-15-2008, 07:11 PM

187 posts, read 803,653 times
Default Gnarly Crabgrass!

I have never seen such stubborn & gnarly crabgrass as I've seen this year! When you pull it out your pulling have your yard up with it. Seems to root very deep & spread fast in short amount of time. YUCK!

Old 08-15-2008, 07:34 PM

82 posts, read 278,552 times
Yes, way more weeds here in rural Chatham Co. this year. Are some of you living in town that see this too? I live out in the country and thought that the weeds were kept more in check in suburban areas with people using more chemicals, and having a lot more paved areas.

Next year I will be doing a major dose of pre-emergent and hope for the best. It doesn't help that I have not kept up with weed and feed in the grass areas and allowed them to grow there.

Old 08-15-2008, 07:50 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,112,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dianeh View Post
I have never seen such stubborn & gnarly crabgrass as I've seen this year! When you pull it out your pulling have your yard up with it. Seems to root very deep & spread fast in short amount of time. YUCK!
Yep, same here. I've never even HAD crabgrass and wiregrass before and this year my yard is covered with it. It is curious though because we use EPM lawncare and they stick their treatment schedule drought or not. So I KNOW we had pre-emergent put down.
I'm in the process of killing all the crabgrass and wiregrass now so I can overseed later next month and hope it takes care of the issue. It seems to have sprouted up in bare patches (although we over seeded last fall too!)
My yard isn't looking too great right now!

Old 08-15-2008, 08:28 PM

401 posts, read 1,624,380 times
For those of you that used a pre-emergent this year part of the problem was that when the first application was applied in late Feb. or early Mar. it was still dry. For most granular pre-emergent herbicides to work they need to be watered in in a reasonable amount of time (within a week or so). Remember, we still could not use irrigation this spring. Alot of the herbicide that was applied layed on the ground and the sun degraded the chemical rendering it ineffective, which made your lawns the same as those that didn't use any pre-emergent.
For those of you that did not use a pre-emergent, after the summer got under way, we were fortunate enough to get some water via thunderstorms. That, coupled with bare spots left over from last summer was just what the crabgrass wanted and poof, a bumper crop of crabgrass was born.

All that is usually enough to make a lawn care company owner pull their hair out !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary