Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2011, 07:32 PM

5,746 posts, read 17,621,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
Drivers do need to understand the left lane on a freeway is for passing only and need to move back into the right lane after the pass is complete.
2 golden rules:

1. Keep right, EXCEPT to pass.
2. Slower traffic keep RIGHT.

That would solve the nations problems
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2011, 08:16 PM

645 posts, read 989,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merboy View Post
I think as we're commenting on our pet peeves here and our opinions on tailgating and whatnot we seem to be playing different scenarios in our minds. For example, Autobahn is making the point that preventing a faster driver from (safely) passing is not ok while others are saying they hate when people speed around them all in a tizzy. It sort of sounds like we're commenting on different situations. But I think we all can agree that people who drive very, very close to us in traffic are being dangerous. And the victims of such incidents would do well to remain calm instead of trying to teach the offensive driver a lesson by creating an even more unsafe situation themselves.

My original point was actually really nailed by eloyfan's analogy of standing in line at the concession stand. People tend to forget that they're dealing with actual human beings and not just large, metallic objects on the road. Driving has become very impersonal and I think that's dangerous. When people stop getting treated as people they get treated as something else, something more expendable. And that's a big, big problem.
Chicken dinner winner right here, y'all!

Old 02-26-2011, 10:41 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,721,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry884 View Post
The problem I find is that people want to punish other drivers. So, instead of getting over, the front car taps brakes or tries to block the back car. This is dangerous and is basically road rage.

Yes, there is a BIG difference between defensive driving and being defensive.

Old 02-26-2011, 10:55 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,721,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beans&Cornbread View Post
I have driving instructors in the family. Eloyfan speaks the truth.

The vast majority of tailgaters fall into two categories: Either (1) They haven't got a clue that they are tailgating AND don't have much of a clue on what is going on around them while driving in general; or (2) Are the aggressive/jerk types that believe their time is more important than the safety of others on the road. People who are good/well trained/experienced/sane drivers generally do not tailgate. If you disagree, be honest with yourself the next time you do it. I guarantee you are either (1) clueless that you are doing it, or (2) pissed off and impatient.

Its frankly sad that some people think of this as a fight on principles and use two-ton vehicles as their chariots of morality.

Two cars in close proximity to each other is more dangerous than two cars with following appropriate space - I think everyone would agree to that. If you find yourself in a tailgating situation, either being tailgated or tailgating someone else, you need to realize that you are in a potentially dangerous situation. Without proper space, one mistake by either driver can cause a collision, so what is the best thing to do?

If you are tailgating, back off and give some space. All tailgating does is make the other driver angry or nervous - two conditions you don't want to be around, and without enough space, you could find yourself in a collision.

If you're being tailgated, should look at how to get yourself out of that potentially unsafe situation. Your options are typically slow down until the following distance is safe, or let the tailgater pass. Driving slow will not get you anywhere you want to be sooner, but its safer, although the car behind you will still be there. Letting them go by you allows you to keep on your merry way AND frees you from a dangerous situation. Its okay to wave people past you, it doesn't cost you anything and makes you safer.

Driving isn't an ego activity where you need to defend your honor against bad drivers. Buying into bad driving because the other guy doesn't know better or is ignorant is sinking to their bad driving level.

Old 02-26-2011, 07:50 PM

50 posts, read 109,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eloyfan View Post
I had a twisted individual bomb around me at easily 60 mph on that very road, and wave their arm out the window for me to "move over". I followed them to the plaza where they turned in and confronted them. What's your problem? I was told I needed to move over and allow traffic to pass. Sorry, ignorance of rules of the road=a mental disconnect. Freeway driving this rule may apply, but not on a "parkway". Some people do not belong on the road.

Wow how ballsy! Reminds me of something I would see in NYC

Old 02-26-2011, 08:01 PM

50 posts, read 109,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autobahn driver View Post
Drivers who often complain about tailgaters should rethink their driving. THEY are making a mistake, not the driver behind them. Provoking the other driver by slowing down is reckless and irresponsible. People have to understand that especially on highways passing should be done quickly and that speeds should be choosed depending on conditions, not the speed limit. Otherwise a crash will happen soon.

You really can't win with some tailgaters. The more you speed up the more they do and speeding up too much might put you at risk for an accident. Back in NYC I would certainly tap on my brakes and might yell out a few profanities too. But here I am afraid the other car will not slow down at all.

Old 02-27-2011, 09:51 AM

142 posts, read 284,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truserenity View Post
You really can't win with some tailgaters. The more you speed up the more they do and speeding up too much might put you at risk for an accident. Back in NYC I would certainly tap on my brakes and might yell out a few profanities too. But here I am afraid the other car will not slow down at all.
Road rage.

Old 02-27-2011, 09:59 AM

645 posts, read 989,871 times
Venture to guess when we'll start seeing cases of "pedestrian aggressiveness syndrome" in our area?

Researchers Study 'Sidewalk Rage' - WSJ.com

Honestly, I've already seen a few incidents of "cart rage" going on at Walmart/Targets/Grocery Stores.

Why can't we all just get along?

Old 02-27-2011, 10:41 AM

1,074 posts, read 3,249,678 times
When you're in the left lane and someone behind you is going faster than you, you'll see them approaching. If you can do so safely and without cutting someone off, move one lane over to the right, using your blinker. If you are in the left lane and you're coming up behind someone going slower than you want to, stay a reasonable distance back until they have time to safely get to the right.

There, if everyone in the "slower traffic move right" camp and everyone in the "the closer you follow, the slower I drive" camp would do that, we wouldn't need to be having this talk. Sayantsi is absolutely right- your 2 ton SUV is not your chariot of morality and shouldn't be used as a weapon to "teach" the other guy your point of view. Drive defensively to avoid accidents- not start confrontations.

Old 02-27-2011, 12:40 PM

30 posts, read 41,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry884 View Post
There, if everyone in the "slower traffic move right" camp and everyone in the "the closer you follow, the slower I drive" camp would do that, we wouldn't need to be having this talk. Sayantsi is absolutely right- your 2 ton SUV is not your chariot of morality and shouldn't be used as a weapon to "teach" the other guy your point of view. Drive defensively to avoid accidents- not start confrontations.
Exactly. Forcing other drivers to move over or to slow down is a criminal act and will be punished hard. Everyone is urged to make driving safer and less stressful. It is possible to drive cooperatly with each other on the road, even at high speeds. I witness this every day on the road and I´m happy to see so many skilled and competent drivers who even move over to the right lane at 100 mph if it´s possible. The road traffic act requires that everyone has to improve his driving behaviour and to drive according to conditions.Just asking for responsibility on the part of faster drivers doesn´t work. Slower drivers have to take responsibility that faster traffic wont´t be endangered by unsafe lane changes. A fully trained driver has the obligation to estimate speeds and following distances. Drivers who like tailgating should make themselves clear, that the possbility of being involved in a fatal crash is far greater at 60 mph and just 1 inches following distance rather than driving over 100 mph in good conditions and maintaining proper following distance.
High speeds aren´t dangerous, it´s the wrong speed for conditions. 100 mph on a clear well-built highway is far, far safer than 50-70 mph in heavy traffic. The crash statistics of the german autobahn prove this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary