Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 07:08 PM

748 posts, read 1,375,366 times

Advertisements

Its still Wachovia in NC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2011, 07:30 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
I had First Union. First Union was bought out by Wachovia so now I have Wachovia! Wachovia has been bought out by Wells Fargo so soon enough, I'll have Wells Fargo!

In all those years, I've been very satisfied with my banking; however, I've never gotten a car loan or a mortgage loan with my bank because I always found their rates were not that great.

I'm also a member of NC State Empolyees Credit Union (NCSECU) but I don't believe anyone can join unless you work for a specific company?

I like the rates on my savings at the NCSECU.

Vicki

Old 01-23-2011, 08:27 PM

365 posts, read 1,208,109 times
NCSECU rules, but you have to be a NC state employee, or a family member of a NC state employee to enroll.

Old 01-23-2011, 09:24 PM

789 posts, read 1,991,344 times
Be prepared...you cannot compare banks in NJ to banks in NC. For the most part, banking hours are 9-5 Monday through Friday, with a few branches open for a few hours on Saturday. I used TD Bank in NJ and here are my thoughts on banking here:

-- SECU is great if you qualify for membership. Good rates, great customer service, few fees. We don't qualify, so this wasn't an option for us.
-- Wachovia has great online banking and lots of branches throughout the area, and the country. Fees kind of suck. For example, if you use an ATM that has no fees (think Wawa, even though we don't have them here) Wachovia will still charge you $2 for using a non-Wachovia ATM. Online banking payments arrive almost immediately with most national creditors. I also like their ATM's for deposits, which has pretty much replaced all banking with them for me.
-- Bank of America. Horrible, IMO, no matter where you live.
-- USAA. Great customer service, excellent online banking. Anyone can be a member for banking. You have to get used to not having any branches, but since the ones down here have such horrible hours, you get used to it pretty quickly. You scan your checks and then send them in postage-paid envelopes. Super easy and convenient.

Those are all of the ones I've tried. BB&T doesn't have many branches in the areas I frequent, so it wasn't much of an option for us. Good luck!!

Old 01-24-2011, 07:41 AM

1,106 posts, read 3,532,287 times
Yeah, I got hit with the banking hours thing this morning. I had to get some money out the bank this morning to pay a bill due. Got there and couldn't go in b/c they don't open up till 9. Dang that sucked. Guess I'll go back at lunch.

Old 01-24-2011, 08:38 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,927,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossy View Post
Isn't Wachovia now Wells Fargo? We have Wells in CA...
I believe the conversion in NC is supposed to happen late this year.

Old 01-24-2011, 09:51 AM

1,500 posts, read 2,900,562 times
USAA! People still actually *go* into banks?!

Old 01-24-2011, 10:17 AM

540 posts, read 1,105,283 times
I was with Wachovia from 2000 to 2010. Got hit with some fees I didn't like after Wells Fargo took over. I'm now with a credit union, one based in another state at that! I rarely ever had to go in a branch though...do everything online and ATM, so this works for me. I did try Suntrust briefly and have no complaints...though they don't have as many branches as Wachovia. If I were eligible, I'd def. go with SECU though.

Old 01-24-2011, 11:16 AM

843 posts, read 2,099,721 times
Wachovia is now Wells Fargo but are not fully intergated till some time next year

Old 01-24-2011, 04:25 PM

75 posts, read 169,888 times
MainLineMommy's post seems informative and consistent wrt SECU from what I've heard but I dont qualify.

BB&T is who I've been with for 12+ years and have a Wachovia account as well for 18 years. I started the BB&T after a riff with Wachovia.

Both have Saturday hours (though limited) and though you could walk-in till 5pm, BB&T (and I believe Wach/WF) has drive through hours till 6pm on Thur & Fri.

Wach/WF ATMs dont require an envelope for deposits down here, dont know about up there, but I imagine BB&T and others will get those ATMs at some point.

Have had my mortgage with BB&T and do bill pay with it = no complaints.

I'd also look into a community bank for myself but dont know which are "community" banks any more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary