Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 05:09 PM

1,335 posts, read 3,156,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmellc View Post
American Hero, I forgot about them. Haven't eaten at one lately. I ate at 2 locations in Durham, both good.

Some of you in Raleigh may remember Mr. Dunderbach's that used to be at Crabtree. Subs & club sandwiches of every description. they were out of this world. 1st time I ever had bratwurst was there. Ruffino's that used to be at Northgate had great subs. I think Sal Ruffino started something else, but I have no idea where. If he's still doing restaurants, I'm sure he's still doing great subs.
I've seen a couple references to Sal Ruffino. Would he be the owner of Sal's Pizza in RTP (and I think another one in Durham)? It's near the corner of 54/55. Decent, not great subs...

Responding to other comments around mid-thread:

Yep, I remember Mr. Dunderbachs, I was heartbroken when that went away. Where else could you get a sammich with about 3" of Pastrami, on top of a really good bratworst, with good mustard, good rye bread, an excellent pickle and your choice of the best beers available at the time. Wooooo-freakin'-hoooo.

Also used to love Capi's in RTP. Long ago though, I'm not close enough for the Mo'ville location.

Got turned off of Jersey Mikes many years ago, but when they first came to the region (the first store I knew of was on Capital, near Mini City), I used to survive on the #13. Dang, they were good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2011, 12:53 PM

74 posts, read 313,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsbadmojo View Post
Quote: Also, if you have any interest in Bahn Mi... There is a little place next door called N9N, it's not on the menu, it's $2.50 or $3.00 per, and pretty tasty.

Gotta disagree with you here. 9N9's Pho is great, but their Banh mi was so-so at best. The bread is all wrong, and there's no pate. I had to drive out to Greensboro to find a killer banh mi. Pahk Sandwich Shop, corner of Florida and Freeman Mill Rd. Now THAT is a killer banh mi.

Pretty Tasty < Killer - Locally (Raleigh/ Durham) there are only 2-3 places to find Banh Mi, one of which is 9n9, the others are up near Capital / N. Raleigh. Personally I would rather make them myself than drive out to G'boro for some sammiches
Recipe

I suggest you get your rolls from La Farm

Old 03-20-2011, 11:57 AM

2,646 posts, read 3,179,630 times
I have now found ciabatta bread at Kroger. They sometimes have a large square loaf & sometimes buns, about 4" square. Very good bread. Even got some buns of it last night on special for $1.50.

Old 03-20-2011, 09:01 PM

95 posts, read 224,904 times
Default Anyone looking for a business opportunity? :)

My favorite sub shop in Rochester was a place called DiBella's. It originated in Rochester forever ago but is now a franchise with locations in three other states. So...my challenge to someone reading this post is to open the next DiBella's in the Triangle

Old 03-22-2011, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmateo View Post
I've seen a couple references to Sal Ruffino. Would he be the owner of Sal's Pizza in RTP (and I think another one in Durham)? It's near the corner of 54/55. Decent, not great subs...

Responding to other comments around mid-thread:

Yep, I remember Mr. Dunderbachs, I was heartbroken when that went away. Where else could you get a sammich with about 3" of Pastrami, on top of a really good bratworst, with good mustard, good rye bread, an excellent pickle and your choice of the best beers available at the time. Wooooo-freakin'-hoooo.

Also used to love Capi's in RTP. Long ago though, I'm not close enough for the Mo'ville location.

Got turned off of Jersey Mikes many years ago, but when they first came to the region (the first store I knew of was on Capital, near Mini City), I used to survive on the #13. Dang, they were good.
That's likely Sal Ruffino at Sal's. I never get out that way at meal time & it's out of our travels for the family to go there. If you go in soon, ask the server if Sal Ruffino owns it. Or you may see Sal himself. When I last saw him, in the 80's, he was about 40, had jet black hair. Was about 5 foot 5. He would be aged by now of course. Very personable & humorous.

Old 03-22-2011, 05:34 PM

64 posts, read 177,973 times
As long as you're looking for a great sub, you really ought to try the Dr. Frank's Special at Sadlack's Heroes on Hillsborough Street across from the Bell Tower. Good food and a personality all its own.

Old 03-24-2011, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sluv View Post
As long as you're looking for a great sub, you really ought to try the Dr. Frank's Special at Sadlack's Heroes on Hillsborough Street across from the Bell Tower. Good food and a personality all its own.
I think Sadlock's has been there forever, but I've never eaten there. Haven't been through that part of Raleigh at mealtime. Must be good or they would not have survived.

Old 03-30-2011, 03:41 PM

810 posts, read 1,453,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nene817 View Post
My favorite sub shop in Rochester was a place called DiBella's. It originated in Rochester forever ago but is now a franchise with locations in three other states. So...my challenge to someone reading this post is to open the next DiBella's in the Triangle
I would respectfully disagree. Their bread was thick and heavy and gummy, the few times I tried them. What I want is that delicate flaky crispy crunch with fluffy fresh insides...real Italian bread.

S

Old 04-13-2011, 09:58 AM

810 posts, read 1,453,923 times
Sorry to drag this on, but it's an important topic...

I got down there to the Triangle last weekend and tried Great American Hero (am I saying that right?) and Rudino's.

GAH wasn't bad. It wasn't real Italian but it was a solid supermarket-style sandwich, tasted fresh, and had good weight. They didn't have Italian Dressing, you'll have to bring your own.

Rudino doesn't even count. Fancy package, about 2/3 the weight of the GAH sandwich, too many unrelated ingredients, toasted and dirty-tasting. Appears to have been designed by MBAs for draining money from people who have never had good food.

S

Old 04-14-2011, 07:52 PM

1,219 posts, read 3,302,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leftyforlife View Post
Roma's Italian in downtown Cary. They are originally from NY, and they have awesome bread! You tell them what you want, and they will make it for you.
And they're from Endicott, NY and have Speidie meat and Speidie sauce too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary