Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 01:06 PM

2,623 posts, read 3,155,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmana View Post
I wish I could find a place that makes hoagies with the kind of bread they use back home, it's not really a roll, it's flatter and is super soft and chewy in the middle, but with a thick crunchy crust. You could put anything in that bread and it would be delish! It's really odd how nobody down here can make a good sub (at least I've never had one!)
I'm sure someone around here has it or can make it. Where are you from? Do you visit home much? Try getting a few of the rolls & take 1 to a bakery around here. See if they can make it. Italian Pizzeria in Durham has had good subs, I assume they still do. Not sure if the buns are as you describe. If you can find Sal Ruffino anywhere, he'd know what you describe, I'm sure. He's a Sicilian, born in Palermo, lived in NYC before coming here. He used to have Ruffino's Pizza at Northgate mall in Durham and Schiano's Pizza at old South Square mall. I think he still has a restaurant somewhere, don't know where.

Introduce these rolls to a few sub shops. If they're as great as you say, someone will start using them to get ahead of the crowd and have 1 of a kind subs here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2011, 01:15 PM

Someone mentioned Rudino's. I just saw they have a place not far from me. I'll give them a try soon.

Old 01-23-2011, 08:11 AM

1,032 posts, read 3,920,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
We just discovered Penn Station and love them.
The bread seems fresh baked and the fries are great.
There Phil. Steak & Cheese has peppery beef and banana
peppers and is great. I'm craving one right now.

Penn Station is awesome, but I wouldn't think of it if I were looking for a sub; they're more of a cheesesteak place, and that's a different animal IMHO.

Old 01-23-2011, 08:20 AM

1,032 posts, read 3,920,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanga View Post
I like Rudino's, they're pretty good.

My #1 sub shop is Cheerz Deli in RTP behind the Sheetz on Miami and TW Alexander
(2945 S Miami Blvd # 106, Durham, NC)

It's run by J.J. and his wife, open for breakfast and lunch. While you're open to get what you want, I suggest trying The Death Wish, The Carolina Crusher, and my all time favorite J.J. Special. The J.J. special isn't on the menu, and it's something you order when you just trust him... because really it's just whatever he feels like putting on bread.

Blog from Dec 2009 -Blog w/ picture

menu list -Menu
Cheerz roast beef is the bomb! They make it in house - nice and rare, and each sub has half a cow worth. Very nice family owned place.

Quote:
Also, if you have any interest in Bahn Mi... There is a little place next door called N9N, it's not on the menu, it's $2.50 or $3.00 per, and pretty tasty.
Gotta disagree with you here. 9N9's Pho is great, but their Banh mi was so-so at best. The bread is all wrong, and there's no pate. I had to drive out to Greensboro to find a killer banh mi. Pahk Sandwich Shop, corner of Florida and Freeman Mill Rd. Now THAT is a killer banh mi.

Old 01-23-2011, 02:55 PM

360 posts, read 996,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmellc View Post
I'm sure someone around here has it or can make it. Where are you from? Do you visit home much? Try getting a few of the rolls & take 1 to a bakery around here. See if they can make it. Italian Pizzeria in Durham has had good subs, I assume they still do. Not sure if the buns are as you describe. If you can find Sal Ruffino anywhere, he'd know what you describe, I'm sure. He's a Sicilian, born in Palermo, lived in NYC before coming here. He used to have Ruffino's Pizza at Northgate mall in Durham and Schiano's Pizza at old South Square mall. I think he still has a restaurant somewhere, don't know where.

Introduce these rolls to a few sub shops. If they're as great as you say, someone will start using them to get ahead of the crowd and have 1 of a kind subs here.

Okay, I think I've found a bread that is very similar to what the sub shops in PA use, it's kind of like a ciabatta bread, but with a little better flavor. Do any sub shops here make and use that type of bread?

Old 01-23-2011, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmana View Post
Okay, I think I've found a bread that is very similar to what the sub shops in PA use, it's kind of like a ciabatta bread, but with a little better flavor. Do any sub shops here make and use that type of bread?
Only place I recall seeing ciabatta bread is Kroger bakery/deli. I'm sure other supermarkets have it. Most of what Kroger has is in squares, about 3 or 4 inches square. I just found it on Panera Bread's website. They have locations all around the Triangle. Check them out at panerabread.com. I think they make subs, club sandwiches, etc. of all descriptions. Check them out.

Old 01-23-2011, 08:35 PM

365 posts, read 1,209,043 times
La Farm Bakery makes seriously good ciabattas. You can find them at Whole Foods, or at the shop in Cary.

Old 01-23-2011, 11:09 PM

Idea. Get a few of these buns & make a sub at home from them. Make a roast beef, a steak & cheese & turkey breast with usual toppings. Those are generally the most popular subs. Take them to your favorite sub shop & give to the mgr as a sample. If he sees how good it is, he's likely to add to the menu there. A locally owned shop can do that easier than a chain. The mgr of a chain location will have to get approvals from higher mgmt., a slow process in some companies.

Old 01-24-2011, 09:30 AM

271 posts, read 701,305 times
Capi's in Morrisville

Old 01-24-2011, 11:21 AM

600 posts, read 3,450,480 times
Sub Conscious used to be terrific (Sigh), but they have gotten stingy and the prices are stupid for what you get.

Here are a few thoughts:

Build your own sub starting with the ciabatta at La Farm Bakery in Cary. The bread is awesome. When you start with good bread, the rest of the sandwich build is simple.

Each Jersey Mike's is owned by an independent. Some people own several, but since they are owned and run separately, each shop will vary in quality. The best I know of is on Peace St. at Capital Blvd., and at the shopping center on Six Forks right by the Beltline. The one on New Bern Ave. in a nearly abandoned shopping center is terrible, as is the one in Cary on High House.

I don't know what that thing is that they serve at Subway, but it ain't a sub. Tastes like petroleum by-product if you ask me. Harris Teeter subs are made with good deli cuts, but the bread is slick, shiny, and tastes funny.( maybe from too much egg white brush?) Yuck! Nothing in franchise world tastes like a real authentic sub/grinder/hoagie.

So......we don't know how to make a decent sub around here, and NJ/NY can't make edible barbecue. Oh well, such is life.....

Regards,
Streamer1212
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary