Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 09:55 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,046,770 times

Advertisements

I know that Raleigh has this to offer which is great, but I'm talking about the smaller towns outside of Raleigh. I understand what op are saying about building, which would be great, but what about the exisitng buildings on Main Streets. I'm sure there are vacant buildings that could be turned into something else than what they originally were. It doesn't have to be anything fancy either. I know it takes some planning and permits, but I don't see it being impossible. It's just what people are searching for and I think it's important to fulfill peoples needs or should I say wants. It would bring business to these small business owners as opposed to these chain restaurants or big box stores. People like to works, shop, play where they live without having to travel out of their town. It just makes sense. Over the years that I've been researching Raleigh, I've seen it grow and I think it will continue to grow. I just think this is one piece of the puzzle that is missing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2010, 10:28 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,089,036 times
Aren't you the OP (original post-er?)

You said that you understand what the op is saying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
I know that Raleigh has this to offer which is great, but I'm talking about the smaller towns outside of Raleigh. I understand what op are saying about building, which would be great, but what about the exisitng buildings on Main Streets. I'm sure there are vacant buildings that could be turned into something else than what they originally were. It doesn't have to be anything fancy either. I know it takes some planning and permits, but I don't see it being impossible. It's just what people are searching for and I think it's important to fulfill peoples needs or should I say wants. It would bring business to these small business owners as opposed to these chain restaurants or big box stores. People like to works, shop, play where they live without having to travel out of their town. It just makes sense. Over the years that I've been researching Raleigh, I've seen it grow and I think it will continue to grow. I just think this is one piece of the puzzle that is missing.

Old 12-22-2010, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
Aren't you the OP (original post-er?)

You said that you understand what the op is saying.
Sorry, I meant to say other posters.

Old 12-22-2010, 11:03 AM

1,877 posts, read 5,341,299 times
Hillsborough has a busy historic downtown. It's one of the oldest towns in the state and it stays busy because it's home of the county seat and a tourist attraction. It does have restaurants, a couple bars including live music, a library, a few shops, art galleries, museum, historic sites, and Weaver St. Market. You can easily walk to all of these within 2-3 blocks, as well as the Eno River. BUT, it's very tiny and you won't see much new growth. The homes closest to downtown are historic and very pricey. You can walk from newer neighborhoods but it's a loooong walk or a short bike ride.

Mebane nearby has so much potential for it's downtown, but there are still a lot of empty shops and restaurants. There is a lot of new stuff popping up in Mebane and I hope they stop before it gets to be too much. I would love to live in a historic house downtown since they are so affordable, but I can't imagine it until they get their downtown together.

Old 12-22-2010, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielleNC View Post
Hillsborough has a busy historic downtown. It's one of the oldest towns in the state and it stays busy because it's home of the county seat and a tourist attraction. It does have restaurants, a couple bars including live music, a library, a few shops, art galleries, museum, historic sites, and Weaver St. Market. You can easily walk to all of these within 2-3 blocks, as well as the Eno River. BUT, it's very tiny and you won't see much new growth. The homes closest to downtown are historic and very pricey. You can walk from newer neighborhoods but it's a loooong walk or a short bike ride.

Mebane nearby has so much potential for it's downtown, but there are still a lot of empty shops and restaurants. There is a lot of new stuff popping up in Mebane and I hope they stop before it gets to be too much. I would love to live in a historic house downtown since they are so affordable, but I can't imagine it until they get their downtown together.
I love the historic homes too. That's what I'm talking about, the empty stores. If they would fill those vacant stores with restaurants, bars, cafe's, shops, etc, it would be great.

Old 12-22-2010, 03:06 PM

310 posts, read 575,363 times
Quote:
If they would fill those vacant stores with restaurants, bars, cafe's, shops, etc, it would be great.
Who is "they".

I would think if there were truly a demand for such establishments in those locations that some enterprising individuals would have filled them up and, if they offered quality and value, had thriving businesses.

Old 12-23-2010, 06:40 AM

5 posts, read 12,031 times
I would love to see the revitalization of more downtowns, of small towns and cities. It's a huge selling point to have an attractive, walkable area with attractive shops and restaurants. A mixture of independent businesses and nicer chains. Sidewalk dining. But it does take time to evolve, and money. Once those first pioneers move in and give a place that trendy buzz, then others see the potential, and so forth. Look at Old Town Pasadena, or the Gaslamp Quarter in San Diego (both in California). These were rundown eyesores for a long time. Its hard to imagine now. It's a wonderful thing to bring life back to these districts. Would love to see more of that here, but it won't happen until the economy recovers.

Old 12-23-2010, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slim2none View Post
Who is "they".

I would think if there were truly a demand for such establishments in those locations that some enterprising individuals would have filled them up and, if they offered quality and value, had thriving businesses.
I was referring to entrepreneurs. I think if a few stepped forward and began opening these establishments, they would see that residents would come. With those results, other entrepreneurs would see the success and follow. Too me, it's a win, win situation because this is what people are asking for.

Too bad I didn't have the funding to lead the crowd.

Old 12-23-2010, 11:03 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
Oh look, it's yet another person who doesn't live here, telling us how to run OUR city.

Bless her heart.

Old 12-23-2010, 02:31 PM

That's OK, I like giving suggestions and bringing up topics about what people are asking for. I wasn't telling anybody how to run their city. I thought CD was open to anybody to discuss any topics regardless of where they live. There is a strong possibility that I'll be moving there in the near future if that has anything to do with it. I was hoping to find somewhere like this.

This question has been asked several times and I was just curious as to why there weren't any areas like this as I'm sure other people are curious too. I didn't realize I'd be stepping anybody's toes by bringing up the topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary