Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 02:13 PM

1,873 posts, read 2,406,713 times

Advertisements

I've asked a related question here before, but my exploratory trip to the Triangle area is next week and we've modified our criteria for the better (hopefully). We're open to Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill et al. Are there truly walkable neighborhoods where we can buy a nice, small (1500 sf plus or minus), move-in ready 3/2 for $250K or less. By walkable we mean easy walking or biking distance to restaurants, coffee shops, shopping and/or library. We currently live in a classic suburb where we have to jump in a car for absolutely everything, and don't want that situation again. Would prefer a small lot and green features would be desirable, but that seems to narrow the search too much. Looking forward to the trip, and hope to make good use of the time...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2011, 03:08 PM

1,695 posts, read 4,675,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I've asked a related question here before, but my exploratory trip to the Triangle area is next week and we've modified our criteria for the better (hopefully). We're open to Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill et al. Are there truly walkable neighborhoods where we can buy a nice, small (1500 sf plus or minus), move-in ready 3/2 for $250K or less. By walkable we mean easy walking or biking distance to restaurants, coffee shops, shopping and/or library. We currently live in a classic suburb where we have to jump in a car for absolutely everything, and don't want that situation again. Would prefer a small lot and green features would be desirable, but that seems to narrow the search too much. Looking forward to the trip, and hope to make good use of the time...
most of our area is suburb like you are in.

there are a few developments like what you want (sort of) but might be above your price range. im sure others who know more and know specifics will hop on.

but this is suburbia central here....

Old 08-10-2011, 03:38 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,033,037 times
some place close to north hills would be a good location, because north hills itself has a movie theater, grocery store, restaurants, target and great shops. The houses there *may* need some renovating though! You can definitely find some in your price range though.

Some areas of Carrboro would have houses in your price range, you would want to be within walking distance to the carr mill area.

those are just some places off of the top of my head

Leigh

Old 08-10-2011, 03:45 PM

1,751 posts, read 3,688,178 times
Walkscore might be able to help you out.

Many areas inside the Raleigh beltline are walkable/bikeable to stores, etc. But you are less likely to find newer homes in your price range...some might need some work at that price.

Old 08-10-2011, 03:48 PM

76 posts, read 194,960 times
Hey OP, much of the area is suburban like a previous poster mentioned. But many of the areas that you have spoken of would be around the downtowns in all 3 cities. The city I can speak for the most would be Durham, so I will do only that.
There are several areas that come to mind around downtown Durham that would fit your criteria: Old North Durham, Trinity Park, Hillandale-Watts neighborhood, Cleveland-Holloway and I'm sure there are more that others could speak on in Durham. There is also the 9th St. corridor that is less than a mile from downtown that might fit into your search as well. With all the areas I have named (again, I'm sure they are more) you are in walking or a short biking distance of some of the top restaurants in the state and the southeast. For more insight about these and other areas a blog you could check out is BullCityRising.com which will connect you to other blogs about Durham and the area. Good Luck!

Old 08-10-2011, 06:05 PM

662 posts, read 1,644,079 times
You mentioned walking to a library - in Raleigh, Cameron Village comes to mind (walk to Harris-Teeter, Post Office, library, drug store, ABC store, shopping, etc.), but not sure if you could find something in that price range.

Old 08-10-2011, 07:18 PM

192 posts, read 312,893 times
'Historic Oakwood' is one that comes to mind, but as previous posters have noted, in these 'walkable neighborhoods' it may be hard to find something in that price range that doesn't need some work.

Oakwood Neighborhood Raleigh - Overview of Raleigh's Oakwood Neighborhood

Old 08-10-2011, 07:21 PM

43,281 posts, read 77,092,464 times
I would suggest the OP consider something older that has been updated, in the Heart of Cary.

Old 08-10-2011, 07:35 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,090,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post

If you don't mind living in a suburb that's focusing on "new urbanism" you might find something in parts of Cary, Apex, and Morriville (elsewhere, too, perhaps, I just haven't been there yet). Apex has a sweet little down town, but my problem with it is that there's no pharmacy, grocery store, etc. There are restaurants but no really "practical" places. But it's cute Same for "Downtown" Cary. But again, cute. I live in Morrisville and out here, everything is shiny and new looking and very suburban (subdivisions off of main roads) but place like Cornerstone in NW Cary have everything from groceries and pharmacies to restaurants and a toy store and a yoga studio. There are several neighborhoods walkable to there. Morrisville is working on being a walkable community--and the corner of Davis/Morrisville Carpenter have loads of shops and there are subdivisions that are walkable, plus future plans for a real "downtown" shopping district for Town Hall drive.

So, yes, you can find walkable. But I don't know where there's the organically grown (ie turn-of-the-20th century walkable community) urban core. I'm sure someone else can offer better info

Old 08-11-2011, 03:44 AM

1,832 posts, read 5,090,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexNC View Post
We live in downtown Apex within very easy walking distance (~1/3 mile) of Scott's Galaxy (Index), Carden Farms (Carden Farms - Local Business - Apex, NC | Facebook), and Food Lion... there's also a Super Walmart only 1.25 miles away, and Super Target is less than 2.5 miles. No problem for us
My bad!!! I spaced on Carden and Scott's . The others, well, they're not really walkable
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary