Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2007, 10:19 PM

3 posts, read 15,746 times

Advertisements

Hi there, we are planning to move back to the area after a longer-than-planned stint in Chicago, and now are looking for somewhere family-friendly (we have young kids) and WALKABLE. Currently we can walk to restaurants, parks, shops, etc. and it's not something we want to give up. However, it looks like most 2000+ sqft homes in the "walkable" areas of CH (near Franklin St/Columbia) are outrageously priced. Any suggestions on areas in CH that are close-by but (relatively) reasonably priced ? We're hoping for an older home, 2500 sqft and in the 500-600k range. However, we'd consider new construction if everything else were in line with what we need. I've read the threads on Southern Village, but am curious as to other, more established, areas.

Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2007, 11:26 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,962,783 times
With your price range, there should be a number of decent options. In chapel hill, the area within a few blocks nw of franklin street, along elliot and estes rds, will put you within walking distance of the strip malls and the community center park (and the elementary school). You'll also have a bunch to choose from in Carrboro (I'd be looking between Main, Greensboro and Hillsborough Rds). I'm guessing you'll be hard pressed to find a 2500 sq ft house within a few blocks of weaver st market in your price range, but there should be several within a mile of it, particularly in bolin forest.

Just remember, there's not alot of inventory in Chapel Hill, so it pays to spend a while looking around and figuring out which areas you'd like to be, and then waiting for something to open up in one of them (and then pounce on it).

Old 09-05-2007, 08:07 AM

3,021 posts, read 11,059,173 times
Ditto everything that Toot said.

Old 09-05-2007, 08:58 AM

420 posts, read 1,535,199 times
Again, ditto. Carrboro neighborhoods might be a good match. Bolin Forest includes homes from 20-5/less years of age and is a healthy walk to shops (about a mile). I think there is also a FSBO on Maple Ave now which is a lovely remodelled older home in your price range. This is a 2 minute walk to shops/restaurants, a 15 minute walk to the university/downtown Chapel Hill.

Old 09-05-2007, 11:42 AM

BTW, here is the link to that Carrboro house for sale:
Downtown Carrboro Home

It is really lovely and is part of a close knit walkable neighborhood.

Old 09-05-2007, 01:19 PM

And here is a good example of an older home in a walkable Chapel Hill neighborhood:
WSR - Properties in Chapel Hill, Carrboro, Chatham and Orange Counties (http://www.weaverstreetrealty.com/67/527 - broken link)

This is walkable to the public library, an elementary and middle school and whole foods. It's also close to a greenway.

Old 09-05-2007, 02:32 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,034,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrywelsh View Post
Hi there, we are planning to move back to the area after a longer-than-planned stint in Chicago, and now are looking for somewhere family-friendly (we have young kids) and WALKABLE. Currently we can walk to restaurants, parks, shops, etc. and it's not something we want to give up. However, it looks like most 2000+ sqft homes in the "walkable" areas of CH (near Franklin St/Columbia) are outrageously priced. Any suggestions on areas in CH that are close-by but (relatively) reasonably priced ? We're hoping for an older home, 2500 sqft and in the 500-600k range. However, we'd consider new construction if everything else were in line with what we need. I've read the threads on Southern Village, but am curious as to other, more established, areas.

Thanks!!!
Although I love southern village, have you thought about meadowmont? I also quite enjoy that neighborhood, has a pool, playgrounds, shops, grocery, etc. Might be something to look into.

Leigh

Old 09-05-2007, 07:59 PM

3 posts, read 15,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leighbhe View Post
Although I love southern village, have you thought about meadowmont? I also quite enjoy that neighborhood, has a pool, playgrounds, shops, grocery, etc. Might be something to look into.

Leigh
Thanks everyone for the suggestions and the links to homes. I briefly researched Meadowmont but read on some threads here that Southern Village would be better for young familes and had more amenities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary