Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 11:55 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,150,335 times

Advertisements

For those of you who desire a more walkable life, check out this link: Walk Score - Helping homebuyers, renters, and real estate agents find houses and apartments in great neighborhoods.
I have had some fun playing with it today and find it fairly accurate. There are, of course, exceptions to its accuracy. But, overall, I think that it's going to give you a fairly good idea of how many resources are available nearby to any particular address.
BTW, my address's "Walk Score" is 82.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2007, 12:28 PM

2,086 posts, read 7,643,120 times
Hey, this is pretty neat! Mine was 83, but a few of the things listed were rather strange such as very loose interpretations of grocery stores. The one that puzzles me the most is that they list Glenwood Towers under "Parks"....

Old 10-31-2007, 01:12 PM
VSB

170 posts, read 798,283 times
Default Woefully misleading

We live about 1 mile north of the magnificent mile in downtown Chicago.

Within a 10 minute walk or less, there are probably 100 restaurants, 2 of our bank's branches, three large grocery stores as well as a host of smaller ones, bakeries, running shops, five florists, cafes, the city's primary ZOO, the beautiful lakefront, et cetera et cetera.

Yet, our address only scores 83.

To its credit, the website points out flaws in its own algorithm, predominantly that its results are based solely on business listings with google maps. If Google's data is not current, then neither is your walk score.

Old 10-31-2007, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSB View Post
We live about 1 mile north of the magnificent mile in downtown Chicago.

Within a 10 minute walk or less, there are probably 100 restaurants, 2 of our bank's branches, three large grocery stores as well as a host of smaller ones, bakeries, running shops, five florists, cafes, the city's primary ZOO, the beautiful lakefront, et cetera et cetera.

Yet, our address only scores 83.

To its credit, the website points out flaws in its own algorithm, predominantly that its results are based solely on business listings with google maps. If Google's data is not current, then neither is your walk score.
I agree that there are problems with its accuracy. That's why I mentioned it in my initial posting. However, I do think it's fairly interesting and gives one a sense of "walkability" when seeking a place to call home. I know that I would be using the tool if I were looking for a home in an unfamiliar place.
You can click on the "what it means" link next to the meter scale from worst to best and it will tell you what the score means. The following is from their website:

90 - 100 = Walkers' Paradise: Most errands can be accomplished on foot and many people get by without owning a car.
70 - 90 = Very Walkable: It's possible to get by without owning a car.
50 - 70 = Some Walkable Locations: Some stores and amenities are within walking distance, but many everyday trips still require a bike, public transportation, or car.
25 - 50 = Not Walkable: Only a few destinations are within easy walking range. For most errands, driving or public transportation is a must.
0 - 25 = Driving Only: Virtually no neighborhood destinations within walking range. You can walk from your house to your car!

Old 10-31-2007, 01:36 PM

3,395 posts, read 7,770,219 times
Didn't work very well for me. Doesn't see the miles of greenway in my neighborhood and surrounding areas.

Old 10-31-2007, 01:46 PM

420 posts, read 1,534,743 times
This is neat. My walk score is a *2* (yes, that's correct). It's one of the prices we pay to live in the country. Of course, I do walk and hike a lot around my home---and there is nothing there but woods and fields :-)

Old 10-31-2007, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
Didn't work very well for me. Doesn't see the miles of greenway in my neighborhood and surrounding areas.
I think it must capture parks but not greenways. Remember, it's very formulaic with standard places the sites looks to locate. It's not perfect but a good high level tool.

Old 10-31-2007, 01:59 PM

2,356 posts, read 3,474,820 times
that's a really interesting website. I'm in downtown Wilmington, and my score ended up being a 72.

I agree that they don't do a high quality analysis - their definition of "grocery store" is odd - but for a free service, it's great.

Old 10-31-2007, 02:52 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,238,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
For those of you who desire a more walkable life, check out this link: Walk Score - Helping homebuyers, renters, and real estate agents find houses and apartments in great neighborhoods.
I have had some fun playing with it today and find it fairly accurate. There are, of course, exceptions to its accuracy. But, overall, I think that it's going to give you a fairly good idea of how many resources are available nearby to any particular address.
BTW, my address's "Walk Score" is 82.

Now thats fun! My address only has a score of 46 out of 100 but then, I don't do much walking anyway!!!

Vicki

Old 10-31-2007, 02:59 PM

5,524 posts, read 9,937,111 times
The distances are severely off. I put in my old neighborhood when I was in MD and it is listing movie theaters, malls and other things that are no less than 10 miles away as 1.5 and 2 miles. Another PHOOEY website
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary