Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 07:06 PM

363 posts, read 1,212,234 times

Advertisements

we use Suite Paws too. Our dogs are extremely high energy. we'd need someone to come pet sit them for hours each day. at suite paws they get to go play all day then sleep nicely at night. those guys are all very nice too, we like them a lot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2010, 10:42 PM

1,442 posts, read 2,563,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan715 View Post
Does anyone know of a cheap boarding place for our dogs for when we go on vacation? We saw the suite paws resort, but that's way too expensive.

We want real cheap, but the dogs to be treated well.
Don't go for "cheap", or even "expensive" for that matter - go for good - dogs can be traumatized, pick up diseases, parasites, etc. from bad boarding places. Isn't your pet a member of your family? Would you send your kid to a "cheap" daycare provider or a good one?

Old 12-07-2010, 06:50 AM

520 posts, read 1,016,295 times
Not sure how far this is for you, but we use Pet Companion Inn in Bahama.
Our gal really likes it, and if you book one of the 'theme rooms' it includes the food, play time, meds & any extra treats/feeding your dog would need for one flat price. They also have regular kennels for less $$ and then you can pay ala cart for extras (like meds if your pup needs anything).

If you are looking for someone to come to the house, try Sands Pet Sitting in Durham. They took care of our cats while we were away & did a great job. I really like that not only did they feed/water/scoop, but they also spent some time and played w/them before they left. And I felt good knowing someone was by the house to check on things every day.

Good luck... I know how difficult it is trying to make sure the fur-babies are well cared for while you are away.

Old 12-07-2010, 07:00 AM

71 posts, read 180,243 times
If you are in the Wake Forest area, we use Cobble Hill Bed and Biscuit. Very nice, very clean and the staff is great. They are not cheap (approx $25 a day), but then I am not sure what Paws Suite charges.

Old 12-07-2010, 07:36 AM

7 posts, read 16,437 times
We bring our dogs to Best Friends in Durham near the airport. We love them. The dogs love it and they are well taken care of. They even send pics of them while we are away!
The dogs are not in crates but indoor/outdoor space. The people are very nice too.

Old 12-07-2010, 08:00 AM

1,994 posts, read 5,961,074 times
An alternative that has worked great for us is putting a dog door on our porch. This gives the dogs free access to our yard whenever they want to go out, and a sheltered place to stay when they want to be in, but keeps them from having free range over the whole house. We then pay a neighborhood kid to come over and feed, water and play with the dogs once a day.

This is a great option if you have a fenced yard and a place to put the dog door, and for our dogs is much more pleasant than being boarded. It is also much less of a hassle for the person taking care of your dogs, since they only have to come by once a day.

Old 12-07-2010, 09:45 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,438,544 times
We board our dog at the Petsmart hotel off Capital/New Hope Rd. $25/day is pretty much standard apparently these days, so it's right in line with pricing. The biggest point is you can pick up on Sunday where most places you can't. Any pickup before noon you aren't charged for that day, and you can drop off starting at 7 AM. This is big for use because it essentially saves 3 days of boarding ($75+tax) because we can drop our dog off early the day we leave, and pick her up early the day we get back (always on Sundays). I can say the rooms appeared clean, and the folks there were very nice. No matter how much these people get paid (they generally get paid the same no matter if you are at an upscale boarding facility or not) they are there because they like animals. They even gave us a report when we got back.

But then again, our dog sleeps (generally!) on her own bed, she is our pet but she is still a dog, not a child, and while she needs to have a good safe place to rest her head at night she doesn't need to be sleeping on a Memory Foam mattress.

Paying someone to come to your house is prohibitively expensive unless you have more than one dog. For example, most are in the $15/visit range. I'm not sure how you could really justify less than 3 visits per day to let your dog out to pee/poop, sounds like the makings of a UI to me. $45/day is quite a bit more, plus no one is there to watch them if something were to happen when the dog walker is gone. If you have 2 dogs however and they don't charge extra that would be an economical choice.

Old 12-29-2010, 12:48 PM

1,177 posts, read 2,340,465 times
reviving this thread as i'll need to board one of my dogs for a week in mid January
I called Suite Paws based on the high recommendations and the price is not unreasonable....at $25/night, it was actually cheaper than Green Level, Petsmart, Lucky Paws, Camp Bow Wow.

In fact, I have not been able to find a cheaper one yet.

Old 12-30-2010, 04:06 AM

476 posts, read 1,296,344 times
We buy a 15-night package at Camp Bow Wow which makes it cheaper.

Old 12-30-2010, 05:01 AM

222 posts, read 545,725 times
We liked Best Friends in Durham too. It is about $25/night too (can't remember exactly), and close to the airport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary