Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2007, 12:45 PM

3 posts, read 6,710 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm wondering if anyone knows the commute time from the Riverwood Golf Course in Clayton to Morrisville (by the factory outlet) or to Duke? I saw a house I love out there, but am curious what the commute in rush hour will be for both of us. I saw on the map it's over 40 miles, but if there's not a lot of traffic, then we're happy to live out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2007, 01:36 PM

1,515 posts, read 6,986,857 times
Around 45 minutes to an hour.

I live in Clayton off of Hwy 70 and work in RTP. The traffic on I-40 West is not that bad, it just switches from four lanes to two lanes around the Cary area, thats when it backs up. But, you are only sitting there for about 10 minutes then its back to four lanes.

I personally dont understand the whole point of the two lanes, but I did hear they were going to expand it to four lanes in the future.

Old 06-26-2007, 01:40 PM

3 posts, read 6,710 times
Perfect, thank you. Do you think the commute is worth it? I'm looking at a house with a couple of acres and I really love the idea of having land, but am afraid the commute will get old really quick (I'm in AZ and it takes 1 -1 1/2 hours each way, so I want to get away from that). Is the city nice and safe? Is there easy access to shopping/food?

Old 06-26-2007, 02:35 PM

1,515 posts, read 6,986,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolerc View Post
Perfect, thank you. Do you think the commute is worth it? I'm looking at a house with a couple of acres and I really love the idea of having land, but am afraid the commute will get old really quick (I'm in AZ and it takes 1 -1 1/2 hours each way, so I want to get away from that). Is the city nice and safe? Is there easy access to shopping/food?
I personally feel the commute is well worth it. To me, that drive is my "down time". I lived in Raleigh all my life (except for a year in Apex) before I moved to Clayton. I went from a 20 minute drive to work to a 45 minute drive and to me, its worth it. I love Clayton, love my house, love everything about it! I found the city to be too nice actually, lol. I'm used to the people in Raleigh. Nothing wrong with them, but I think everyone pretty much keeps to themselves. In Clayton, everyone is just "friendly". Its a friendly town. Drive through neighborhoods, people stop & wave. Dining restaurants, same kind of friendly service. There is plenty of places to shop at. Clayton/Garner both lie on Hwy 70, both on each end. Clayton is on 70 east, Garner is on 70 west. Somewhere on this board, I posted alot of shopping areas for both cities. Its about a 10 to 15 minute drive into Garner, where a big shopping center awaits. (Target, linen & things, michaels, best buy, etc). In Clayton, theres a Walmart, complete with the grocery section. We have ever fast food chain, a few really good restaurant chains, some "mom & Pop" restuarants, etc. Its quieter too, something I wouldnt trade for anything!
School systems are spectacular, I have been nothing but impressed with them.

Riverwood is just adorable. I didnt find a house plan that I liked, I ended up buying an Anderson home at Cobblestone, it fit my needs more plus I like the location.

I would suggest coming down, hoping into 7 am traffic heading out to RTP and see for yourself. Really, its not that bad. If you need to get over a lane, believe it or not, someone friendly will usually wave you on through.
That's NC for ya!

If you have any other questions, feel free to PM!

Old 06-26-2007, 04:23 PM

850 posts, read 3,627,358 times
We live in Clayton near Riverwood and my dh makes the commute to the RTP in Durham. It takes about 45 minutes and the commute doesn't bother him at all. BUT its a very personal thing. Some folks can't stand any commute longer than 20 minutes. We were really hoping for that but we weren't finding what we wanted within that distance. So our location/house is SO worth it to us.

Good luck with the process!!!
Lauren

Old 06-27-2007, 07:16 AM

139 posts, read 550,912 times
As ferrickhead pointed out, you need to come down and do it for yourself. The good thing about Riverwood is you can use Smithfield Rd (the road in front of the athletic club) to get a straight shot to 540 (about 15-20 min) and then its onto 140/RTP in about 25 min. The only way for you to decide is to do it. Many do. Personally, I wouldn't like to do this every day. 1.5-2 hrs of my day is a lot to spend driving much less the traffic aggravation. But it is a personal decision!

Old 06-28-2007, 07:23 PM

709 posts, read 936,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hcebaby View Post
You gotta be kidding me??? Horrible location Don't do it! We moved It was too far from everything and clayton will never ever be cary/apex area Not in a million years! Forget the land and actually have a good location and live in a upscale neighborhood so you don't have to worry about your neighbors driving you crazy Good school district is important even if you have no kids clayton schools are not recognized in the area You might need to sell one day and clayton is not gonna give you top dollar
Agreed

Wait until gasoline is 5 dollars a gallon or you cannot get it. No mass transportation go and live out in clayton BIG MISTAKE!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary