Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2011, 08:15 PM

462 posts, read 1,707,526 times

Advertisements

Going out tomorrow with my friend out of Placida. I hope it's now howling wind!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2011, 07:30 AM

413 posts, read 828,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Messing About View Post
Got stuck inside on phone and work emails for most of the day today.
Got out to the boat late in the day. Removed lower unit of outboard, went just like you tube tutorial said it would. Had trouble removing the anti-knock washers so I took the whole lower unit up to Ingman Marine and asked a tech what to do. He said they break them off and replace them. Bought new ones for $14 and took all back home. Got impeller off and saw some cracks on the inside. Good time to replace.

Yamaha 150TXR has a "half moon key" that holds the water pump plate down on the drive shaft.
This key is a pain in the butt to remove. Tech said to use a punch and hammer to pop it out. Nope. Boat forums say they always stick and some guys heat them with a torch or use rust bust to loosen it. Nope. It got dark and I had to quit for the night. I may have to take it somewhere and have to pay to have it removed. After this piece, it should be smooth to the finish.
Don't know how much room you have to access the key, but if you have the room diagonal cutters always seem to work for me on stuck keys. I grab the key at one end close to the shaft an push the cutters toward the shaft. You will more than likely need a new key but I have removed several stuck keys over the years using this method. Being an electrician the tools at hand come into play. Most of the keys are on either motor shafts or drives. Thought I would share my method.

Dave

Old 12-21-2011, 01:19 PM

493 posts, read 1,386,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Dave View Post
Don't know how much room you have to access the key, but if you have the room diagonal cutters always seem to work for me on stuck keys. I grab the key at one end close to the shaft an push the cutters toward the shaft. You will more than likely need a new key but I have removed several stuck keys over the years using this method. Being an electrician the tools at hand come into play. Most of the keys are on either motor shafts or drives. Thought I would share my method.

Dave
What Dave said is the method tried and true mechanics use as well, if you need help to do this call me and I will come over to help you.

Old 12-21-2011, 06:35 PM

2,118 posts, read 3,776,884 times
Thanks all. City data come to the rescue. DaFrogMan got the key out, using his punch and side cutters. Gotta get me some of those. Ironically, we did this while you guys were suggesting it online.

Had to bring Frog back out of the bullpen to consult on the anti-knock washer and we got her done.
Everything is back together, new gear oil put in; trolling motor plugs changed; wax job started. Got to launch her tomorrow by 4PM to put her back on the lift before Christmas.

Also thanks to Big House for coming by the other day to cut the stuck lock off my trolling motor.

City Data...it's a village!

Old 12-22-2011, 07:01 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,088,066 times
Quote:
Thanks all. City data come to the rescue. DaFrogMan got the key out, using his punch and side cutters. Gotta get me some of those. Ironically, we did this while you guys were suggesting it online.

Had to bring Frog back out of the bullpen to consult on the anti-knock washer and we got her done.
Everything is back together, new gear oil put in; trolling motor plugs changed; wax job started. Got to launch her tomorrow by 4PM to put her back on the lift before Christmas.

Also thanks to Big House for coming by the other day to cut the stuck lock off my trolling motor.

City Data...it's a village!
Anytime!

Old 12-22-2011, 07:25 PM

Finished my wax job and full annual maintenance. DIY for the first time at a cost of about $150 for parts. Will be cheaper next time if I buy online instead of local retail...but it's good to stimulate the local economy. Kudos to the parts counter lady, Judy, at my Port Charlotte Yamaha dealer. She really knows her stuff.

I did plugs, prop maint., fuel filters, dropped the lower unit and did a complete water pump changeout, changed the gear oil, changed zincs, waxed the hull, changed trolling motor plug and receptacle (extra $60 but it's a much better quality plug now...old ones lasted less than a year). Added water to the batteries and fueled up.

Re-launched the boat from Charlotte Beach and got her back on the lift before dark. She jumped up on plane and ran smoooooooth. This was a great reason for keeping the trailer that came with my boat. Maintenance in the yard beats maintenance on the lift everyday.

Old 12-23-2011, 07:17 AM

463 posts, read 866,857 times
Went out yesterday.Got into the trout over by burnt store.One nice red and some lady fish. Pretty slow day not to windy.
Finally got my boat running right.
Harbor Hopper how does next wednesday look for you at getting out?Maybe try the river up by the Nav A gator
I will have the day off.

Old 12-23-2011, 08:15 AM

3,179 posts, read 6,002,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcozad1 View Post
Went out yesterday.Got into the trout over by burnt store.One nice red and some lady fish. Pretty slow day not to windy.
Finally got my boat running right.
Harbor Hopper how does next wednesday look for you at getting out?Maybe try the river up by the Nav A gator
I will have the day off.
I'm off all next week, so any day works. I've taken my boat up there to the rope swings, but never fished up river. Keep in touch and let me know!

Old 12-30-2011, 05:03 PM

How about that fishin' report, HH? Pics?

Old 12-30-2011, 05:36 PM

3,179 posts, read 6,002,426 times
Quote:
How about that fishin' report, HH? Pics?
Only took a pic of my 1st ever redfish (got 3 yesterday). Too small to keep though. Pat got a few reds as well. We were out for about 4 hours I think. Perfect day up by Nav-A-Gator. Lots of wildlife, and numerous roseate spoonbills.
Today, I decided to toss the line off the dock and use up the live shrimp from yesterday. I've never caught anything with size and edible from the dock. Within 20 minutes, I had a keeper red, 2 snapper, and a large sheephead. Dinner tomorrow!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte