Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2011, 01:18 PM
CTC

668 posts, read 1,466,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyflyfsh View Post
I had a fun day yesterday out on the water. I caught my first redfish on the fly, also my first flounder and mullet on fly rod. I caught a few needlefish too but I've caught them before! : ) It was a gorgeous day! The redfish was 21" but the flounder was not quite keeper size.
Hi
I am a pretty experienced fly fisher from out West (live in Montana full time) and wondering about your basic set up?

Will be down in a few weeks, looking at renting a kayak and doing some fishing

thanks

Chris
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2011, 04:19 PM

462 posts, read 1,707,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTC View Post
Hi
I am a pretty experienced fly fisher from out West (live in Montana full time) and wondering about your basic set up?

Will be down in a few weeks, looking at renting a kayak and doing some fishing

thanks

Chris
Hey Chris...how funny, I moved here from Montana! Right now I'm using an 8 weight with an intermediate sinking tip fly line. For flies, olive Clousers, estaz marabou, sinking flies. I caught everything on an olive Clouser on Saturday.

PM me if you'd be interested in some names for a guide trip. I can set you up.

Mary

Old 12-14-2011, 11:21 AM

1,646 posts, read 3,026,543 times
I took a charter out last week with a buddy that was visiting from up north. We left out of Laishley Marina in the late morning with the captain and headed for our first stop in E. Spring Lake Park, which happens to be close to my house.

We were looking for small tarpon but only managed some ladyfish caught on Rattletraps, and catfish on live shrimp. On the way out of the lake I hooked a sheepshead while trying for reds in the mangroves.

We headed up the Peace River in search of reds. After a few hours of slow/no bites the fishing turned on just as our 6hrs were up. We were pinned up near some mangroves in moving water, tossing shrimp in the trees. Got a few redfish in that spot before heading back to the dock. All released.

It was a fun day, wind was tough. I learned some things about SWF fishing (which was my priority), but next time I'll save the $$ and go it alone on my boat .

Old 12-14-2011, 02:48 PM

462 posts, read 1,707,526 times
I was out again yesterday. Windy, windy, windy is about all I can say...we caught some trout and some small jacks and saw some monster snook but that's about it. We were hiding from the wind!

Old 12-14-2011, 05:30 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,424,323 times
I have fished here alot and caught a few..

I was at the Jetties in Venice a few years ago, casting a freshwater rattletrap (old school 1980's)

I had this huge bite.. Brought up half a redfish, I think it was a redfish..it was at least 30in long..

I was soo happy with that half fish..

Old 12-18-2011, 09:54 AM
CTC

668 posts, read 1,466,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyflyfsh View Post
Hey Chris...how funny, I moved here from Montana! Right now I'm using an 8 weight with an intermediate sinking tip fly line. For flies, olive Clousers, estaz marabou, sinking flies. I caught everything on an olive Clouser on Saturday.

PM me if you'd be interested in some names for a guide trip. I can set you up.

Mary
Thanks for the info!!!

Old 12-18-2011, 11:54 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,088,066 times
I started the boat and took it out today, just to get gas, and run the engine giving the batteries a chance to re-charge.

No fishing today. :-(

Old 12-18-2011, 01:40 PM

3,179 posts, read 6,002,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big House View Post
I started the boat and took it out today, just to get gas, and run the engine giving the batteries a chance to re-charge.

No fishing today. :-(
I have 10 days off from work after this week, so I want to get out fishing one of those days.

Old 12-19-2011, 07:19 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,088,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbor Hopper View Post
I have 10 days off from work after this week, so I want to get out fishing one of those days.
I'll call you later today.

Old 12-19-2011, 01:53 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,888,406 times
Maybe we can all go out when we're down in a couple of weeks. We can't work on our lot the WHOLE time we're there!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte