Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2019, 04:47 AM

230 posts, read 407,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtRich View Post
I don’t think there’s a ban on Trout too, is there? Besides, there’s no ban to hunt, fight, catch and release!
not a ban per se. they changed the reg.

https://myfwc.com/fishing/saltwater/...tted-seatrout/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2019, 08:38 AM

306 posts, read 391,230 times
Got it, so basically, the slot is 15"-20". I toss 90% of what I catch back in anyway.

Old 04-21-2019, 11:21 AM

5 posts, read 4,397 times
Hey everyone, I have been lurking for awhile and thought I'd sign up and say hello. I'm currently working my way through this long thread (Page 90 currently) with the intention of reading all of it and soaking in all the incredible fishing information on the area. 8 year continuous thread....wow!

I'm 51, single and living in Texas. I've been wanting to make a big move to Florida for a long time. I'm researching all the areas in Florida and have (for now) focused on the SWFL area, more specifically lately around the Port Charlotte Harbor area. I thought this would be a great thread to say hello because like y'all, I'm a fishing and boating addict. I don't need museums and operas and cultural stuff....I want to relocate to an incredible fishery with amazing boating and wildlife opportunities. That's really all I care about. I've lived in the big city for a long time now so Tampa is probably off the list. I want a smaller community, less populated where I can pretty much live under my rock and fish/boat. I've fished in the Keys but its expensive and probably wouldn't want to live there. I don't want to live on the east coast of Florida. Tampa is probably too big and crowded.

As you can tell by my screen name, my focus is fly fishing. I like to sight cast and target snook, redfish, trout and tarpon in skinny water. 90 pages into the thread I see a few folks fly fishing but haven't seen much on sight casting via a small poling skiff or flats boat like a Hewes Redfisher, etc. The time I fished out of Islamorada we did a lot of blind casting to snook and baby tarpon in the Everglades. Is this is a good area for sight casting and fly fishing? I think there is on the East Side/Wall from the Burnt Store Marina down to Pine Island/Matlacha and a few places like Bull Bay and Turtle Bay but I'm not certain.

I plan on taking a scouting trip to the area soon and hiring a fly guide to check out the fishing. If any fellow fly fishers can let me know if I need to refocus my target area please let me know...maybe like to the Englewood area.

Thanks all and hope everyone is having a wonderful Easter weekend!

Jeff

Old 04-22-2019, 04:59 PM

5 posts, read 4,397 times
In the harbor area do you ever see tailing or backing redfish? Does it get that skinny in certain areas?

What about bull reds?

Old 04-23-2019, 08:19 AM

1,599 posts, read 1,431,354 times
You could check out FishingBooker.com to see what they have to meet your needs

Old 04-27-2019, 05:14 AM

33 posts, read 32,735 times
Yes, there are tailing redfish...more visible during the summer/autumn. Bulls are not prevalent. Recommend stopping by West Wall Outfitters (Port Charlotte) - flying fishing shop. They are knowledgable and provide insight to what works.

Old 04-27-2019, 09:07 PM

493 posts, read 1,386,672 times
Hi guys, been a while since I've been on the thread but it is great to see all the wonderful responses that have been made over the years and since I first started it way back when! I'm going to check in more often bought a bay boat recently and working on getting it outfitted the way I want. Great to see how this thread has grown over the years!

Old 05-01-2019, 12:42 PM

190 posts, read 259,199 times
Some good news for our fishery from the FWC Commission meeting today:

Starting May 11, 2019, Redfish, Snook, and Spotted Sea Trout will all be Catch and Release ONLY until at least May 31, 2020. (Hernando/Pasco line to approx Naples)

Hopefully this will allow our stocks to rebound from the massive red tide related kills last year.

Old 05-02-2019, 12:03 PM

535 posts, read 1,031,796 times
Has anyone been out in the harbor lately? I was wondering how bad the love bugs have been? I don’t really want to go out just to be inundated by love bugs

Old 05-03-2019, 08:31 AM

306 posts, read 391,230 times
Default Not bad

I was out a few days ago, they weren't out there, but it was windy so maybe that was why. They were bad at my dock, but didn't see em after that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte