Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2019, 09:20 AM

2,605 posts, read 2,743,709 times

Advertisements

5 years ago, lot of new beginning for me....... now I am ready to move to the next stage in life

Married in 2014....... Now I am ready to move to next stage with baby but its taking forever.
Started a new job in 2014......... Now I am bored and ready for change
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2019, 09:20 AM

9,301 posts, read 8,413,443 times
Five years ago, my life looked hopeful, but cluttered. Nothing was consistent.

Now, my life is hopeful...and a lot less cluttered.

Old 12-26-2019, 11:01 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,540,874 times
it was pretty much the same as today.

Old 12-26-2019, 11:29 PM

11,202 posts, read 8,096,173 times
5 years ago I was 25 and in France caring for my ailing grandmother. I ran out of FMLA and quit my
Airline job. After she passed I spent a few months getting her affairs together and traveling around Italy, Greece, Germany and Switzerland. I spent a total of about 8 months in Europe before returning to the US.
Right now I am back in France and have been here about 6 weeks...with no immediate plan on returning home. ( Dual citizen). Might stay another month.... or 6 or 10 or 12 ???

Old 01-02-2020, 09:53 AM

2,362 posts, read 1,945,466 times
it was the beginning of a slow but steady downward spiral...health issues, ageing,
My life had always been a series of spikes and drops...good moments, horrible moments, some meh...probably typical...but over the past 5 years its been nothing but flatline, NO spikes...and little dips here and there that never recover...sigh

5 years is a long long time to go without the ups of life...most of the downs have been slight, a few major (the loss of my dad)…

I spend a lot of time thinking about ways to get a spike or an up somehow...just a couple a year would work...
but its like the part of my brain that creats good feelings, euphoria, giddiness, has been shut off forever

Old 01-02-2020, 10:35 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,829,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky2balive View Post
it was the beginning of a slow but steady downward spiral...health issues, ageing,
My life had always been a series of spikes and drops...good moments, horrible moments, some meh...probably typical...but over the past 5 years its been nothing but flatline, NO spikes...and little dips here and there that never recover...sigh

5 years is a long long time to go without the ups of life...most of the downs have been slight, a few major (the loss of my dad)…

I spend a lot of time thinking about ways to get a spike or an up somehow...just a couple a year would work...
but its like the part of my brain that creats good feelings, euphoria, giddiness, has been shut off forever
I can relate. I went through a decade of that myself, starting with divorce and recession (unemployment). The past year has been slightly better as I now have something to look forward to, but still not great. Flatline is a great way to describe it. You are not alone.

Old 01-02-2020, 11:18 AM

7 posts, read 5,081 times
Five years ago I was in a job that I absolutely hated (bullying and poor management issues) - now I'm in a job that I love and my boss is wonderful.

Five years ago I was happier with my social life - so many friends have dropped away as they've started having kids, and I haven't been able to make many new friends.

Five years ago I was not exercising regularly - now I volunteer at an animal shelter walking dogs, and I take a Zumba class 1-2 days a week.

My parents have both turned 70 in the past 5 years, and I've watched them slow down a bit. So I'm starting to think about what the future will look like, but so far they are both in good health.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology