Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2019, 08:19 AM

89,232 posts, read 86,078,594 times

Advertisements

Five years ago I was still working, and work pretty much consumed my life. I was in a position where I had been given a role in a very important project to our region, and it came with a chunky raise that would affect my pension positively, but it also meant that my entire life would be consumed with that project, meaning constant checking of emails including nights and weekends. Since I had no significant other, and my only child was grown and living on the other side of the planet, that was fine.

Life has changed in five years. I retired knowing I would have to work part-time for a while to supplement my pension, but well-paid work came to me without effort, and I was able to kill the remaining debt I had except for my mortgage, which I am on track to pay off early. To my utter surprise, I found myself in a real relationship, which I never dreamed would be a possibility for me after years of being divorced and alone. Life's not perfect. I am dealing with an aging mother's health issues and my adult daughter's serious condition. But love and financial freedom have been unexpected gifts that balance out the lack I had for so many years in both those areas, and I am grateful for them.

Old 12-05-2019, 08:27 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,829,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Five years ago I was still working, and work pretty much consumed my life. I was in a position where I had been given a role in a very important project to our region, and it came with a chunky raise that would affect my pension positively, but it also meant that my entire life would be consumed with that project, meaning constant checking of emails including nights and weekends. Since I had no significant other, and my only child was grown and living on the other side of the planet, that was fine.

Life has changed in five years. I retired knowing I would have to work part-time for a while to supplement my pension, but well-paid work came to me without effort, and I was able to kill the remaining debt I had except for my mortgage, which I am on track to pay off early. To my utter surprise, I found myself in a real relationship, which I never dreamed would be a possibility for me after years of being divorced and alone. Life's not perfect. I am dealing with an aging mother's health issues and my adult daughter's serious condition. But love and financial freedom have been unexpected gifts that balance out the lack I had for so many years in both those areas, and I am grateful for them.
So happy for you. Gives me hope as well living mostly single (3 relationships of about 3 years total) over the last 10 years. I lost my mother last Christmas, so this one will be tough, but I have recovered financially as well and very stable now. Long ways from being able to retire, but moving aggressively in that direction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2019, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
So happy for you. Gives me hope as well living mostly single (3 relationships of about 3 years total) over the last 10 years. I lost my mother last Christmas, so this one will be tough, but I have recovered financially as well and very stable now. Long ways from being able to retire, but moving aggressively in that direction.
Yes, I know you and I were long single posters with sad marriages in our backgrounds and not much luck finding partners. It is possible, though. Like me, when you find someone it will likely be a person like yourself who doesn't fit neatly into the general population boxes. Somebody a little "different". They're harder to find, but that's what makes it good.

I am sorry about your mother. Mine is 91 and failing, but slowly. Her mind is good, but her body is breaking down. Six visits to the ER in the past few months.

Old 12-05-2019, 10:03 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,463,946 times
Dec, 2014. We had lived in our new city for about 2 1/2 years, and we were settling into things.

We were enjoying our young grandkids immensely. We were doing some travel as well. We’ve cut back on our travel but still adore our grandkids.

Old 12-05-2019, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yes, I know you and I were long single posters with sad marriages in our backgrounds and not much luck finding partners. It is possible, though. Like me, when you find someone it will likely be a person like yourself who doesn't fit neatly into the general population boxes. Somebody a little "different". They're harder to find, but that's what makes it good.

I am sorry about your mother. Mine is 91 and failing, but slowly. Her mind is good, but her body is breaking down. Six visits to the ER in the past few months.
Well, I think I may solve the partner issue when I go to Ukraine in March. We will see! Talk about different from western women!

Old 12-05-2019, 10:44 AM

3,655 posts, read 4,562,097 times
5 years ago, the end of 2014. Well I had just left my crappy old city where I was living with some really ghetto chick and her 4 kids. I was jobless and couldn't even find work at McD's or Burger King, even with years of experience at both. I landed an hour and a half north, in a much more prosperous metro making $12 an hour. Not much, but considering min wage was [and still is] $7.25, I was more than happy to accept. I got myself a roommate in someone's 2 bedroom apartment close to work. I didn't have a whole lot - my first month I was sleeping on the floor with blankets and pillows given to me by new coworkers and my roommate. I had crappy clothes. Little flip phone. My car. A few books. That was it...so I worked my ass off. Pulled tons of OT, broke department production records, and transferred to a better department in 2017, got a raise to $14.50 an hour. That was a milestone for me - no degree, only 2 years of experience in that field, and was on probation...twice min wage. Worked that department for 4 months, applied at a different company similar job...got hired in summer of 2017 at $16 an hour and a 12% annual bonus. Whoa. I was rich man...$32k a year. Worked my ass off at that job, too...pulled OT, broke company production record and then beat my own record again. Got promoted to team lead in 2018 at $45k...now I felt like an adult. They even sent me to Boston and Palo Alto CA several times. Then...I applied somewhere else again, and got hired salary at $55k and a 10% bonus...now I feel like even more of an adult. That's where I am now. I can't believe it. I have even been able to invest a significant amount of money in the stock market and gotten some serious returns. In 2014 when I was living in the hood with that woman and no job and on felony probation, I was considering suicide. Life sucked. Now...wow. The saying is true at least for me, that suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem.

In between all those career moves, I met my now wife in late 2016 and was sure I was going to get this woman to marry me...sure enough we got serious and moved in together in a small 1 bedroom apartment with our 2 dogs. Now we are in a cozy little 3 bedroom house in a great location in a city we both enjoy. We got married on November 4th, just last month, in a gorgeous venue in the NC mountains. We've traveled to Puerto Rico, Florida and Arkansas together. Now planning a trip to Israel and Jordan. Life is good. Never thought I would have it this good.

Old 12-05-2019, 11:14 AM

8,339 posts, read 6,872,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeshaBiggestfan View Post
just realized it has been 5 years since i graduated from college and what a 5 years it has been , so i was just wondering where your life was 5 years ago?
Hmmmmm....Good question....2014. I was sitting in the basement of a large printer company testing their "Cheap" printers. Then onto the $40K ones (major office one) Then I encouraged my sibling to apply (I'll never make that mistake again) After 2.5 years there I left to have hip surgery. Found my current job about 5 months later. Couldn't be happier(Unless winning the lottery)

Old 12-05-2019, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
5 years ago, the end of 2014. Well I had just left my crappy old city where I was living with some really ghetto chick and her 4 kids. I was jobless and couldn't even find work at McD's or Burger King, even with years of experience at both. I landed an hour and a half north, in a much more prosperous metro making $12 an hour. Not much, but considering min wage was [and still is] $7.25, I was more than happy to accept. I got myself a roommate in someone's 2 bedroom apartment close to work. I didn't have a whole lot - my first month I was sleeping on the floor with blankets and pillows given to me by new coworkers and my roommate. I had crappy clothes. Little flip phone. My car. A few books. That was it...so I worked my ass off. Pulled tons of OT, broke department production records, and transferred to a better department in 2017, got a raise to $14.50 an hour. That was a milestone for me - no degree, only 2 years of experience in that field, and was on probation...twice min wage. Worked that department for 4 months, applied at a different company similar job...got hired in summer of 2017 at $16 an hour and a 12% annual bonus. Whoa. I was rich man...$32k a year. Worked my ass off at that job, too...pulled OT, broke company production record and then beat my own record again. Got promoted to team lead in 2018 at $45k...now I felt like an adult. They even sent me to Boston and Palo Alto CA several times. Then...I applied somewhere else again, and got hired salary at $55k and a 10% bonus...now I feel like even more of an adult. That's where I am now. I can't believe it. I have even been able to invest a significant amount of money in the stock market and gotten some serious returns. In 2014 when I was living in the hood with that woman and no job and on felony probation, I was considering suicide. Life sucked. Now...wow. The saying is true at least for me, that suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem.

In between all those career moves, I met my now wife in late 2016 and was sure I was going to get this woman to marry me...sure enough we got serious and moved in together in a small 1 bedroom apartment with our 2 dogs. Now we are in a cozy little 3 bedroom house in a great location in a city we both enjoy. We got married on November 4th, just last month, in a gorgeous venue in the NC mountains. We've traveled to Puerto Rico, Florida and Arkansas together. Now planning a trip to Israel and Jordan. Life is good. Never thought I would have it this good.
Man, this is an amazing story! Congrats! So nice to hear a success story of someone with a strong work ethic working their way up.

Old 12-05-2019, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post

Happy for you. You never know what the future will bring. Sounds as if you proved that old saw that determination is half the battle.

Old 12-05-2019, 01:20 PM

3,333 posts, read 2,314,323 times
Five years ago I was unemployed, having lost my best job ever (best in part due to being able to work 100% remotely).

There were a lot of twists and turns before finding a job where I felt settled again, but I finally found a good spot. Despite the huge commute, I'm glad I found it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology