Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2019, 10:25 PM

13,753 posts, read 13,479,782 times

Advertisements

I was in Atlanta at a fun job I might have kept if it was pregnant. I was with a guy who had started out crazy about me and then became totally apathetic about the relationship. Ups&downs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2019, 05:58 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,706,400 times
5 years ago, very worried about finances because much was tied up long term and the company was kind of slow. I had just moved to a nice condo but it cost a lot to live there and left me feeling strapped. In a city I hated. Doing work I didn’t really like to do.

Now I’m in my dream city in a luxury house, no worries about finances really, stopped doing the day to day stuff for my company two years ago and now feel like my dreams are back in focus with my career. It’s a much brighter time and I’m way happier.

Old 12-12-2019, 06:28 AM

117 posts, read 51,135 times
5 years ago my dad had passed after being sick for a while and afterwards I had quit my job at the time because they had fired my coworkers due to management change and I was stressing out trying to get everything done. Definitely a dark time in my life.

Now I have a great better job with great pay and unlimited PTO. Found out Monday I'll be getting a nice salary bump in March. Life is much better than it was.

Old 12-12-2019, 11:17 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,965,299 times
A relative newlywed (about a year in), and getting ready to start grad school and start our family.

Two babies and a master's degree later, here we are!

Old 12-13-2019, 01:12 AM

1,714 posts, read 1,122,363 times
2014 was my first year without my mother, which sucked. At least I still lived in a place that felt like home and the chronic pain from a foot ulcer that wouldn't heal was two years away.

Now I'm living with that, going through all the grief I put to one side at the time and rotting away in a unit that makes me feel isolated and unhappy. 2020 is the time for some much needed change.

Old 12-13-2019, 09:39 AM

4,039 posts, read 3,827,786 times
Five years ago today, I had given up my dream of being an actress and started grad school in an industry I didn't particularly cared for. And I missed the birth of my niece because I was away. It was the first time I moved away from family and that's when I learned who my true friends were. Someone who I thought was my best friend dropped me like a hot potato when I moved. I was alone in a new town with no friends, studying something I didn't think was right for me, unmotivated, and I was downright miserable and depressed. I was actually suicidal and thought of dropping out. Before I left, the person I was dating wanted to see other people but they would still talk to me everyday and mislead me. I still need a better radar on who to pick to date but it was pretty bad five years ago. I didn't know how to communicate what I wanted and my views of sex were skewed.

It's been a tough five years. Along the way, I developed pretty bad depression, maybe even PTSD, injured myself pretty badly from a workout because I was feeling like I wasn't good enough and needed to prove myself. I've gone to group and individual therapy, been to CODA, learned about meditation, learned what co-dependency was, made new and better friends, found peace with being single, had a healthy relationship that lasted almost a year but ended because he lied to me about something important so I still have bad luck with dating. I've also traveled solo to a new country, met more amazing people, and am now a lot pickier about who I want to date and be friends with. For the most part, I don't care if I'm single or if someone doesn't like me or whatever. I've also learned to communicate better and learned about boundaries. I still have a lot of work to do but I'm definitely in a much better place now than I was five years ago, especially with how I feel about myself and my self-worth.

Old 12-13-2019, 09:47 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,829,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriella Geramia View Post
Five years ago today, I had given up my dream of being an actress and started grad school in an industry I didn't particularly cared for. And I missed the birth of my niece because I was away. It was the first time I moved away from family and that's when I learned who my true friends were. Someone who I thought was my best friend dropped me like a hot potato when I moved. I was alone in a new town with no friends, studying something I didn't think was right for me, unmotivated, and I was downright miserable and depressed. I was actually suicidal and thought of dropping out. Before I left, the person I was dating wanted to see other people but they would still talk to me everyday and mislead me. I still need a better radar on who to pick to date but it was pretty bad five years ago. I didn't know how to communicate what I wanted and my views of sex were skewed.

It's been a tough five years. Along the way, I developed pretty bad depression, maybe even PTSD, injured myself pretty badly from a workout because I was feeling like I wasn't good enough and needed to prove myself. I've gone to group and individual therapy, been to CODA, learned about meditation, learned what co-dependency was, made new and better friends, found peace with being single, had a healthy relationship that lasted almost a year but ended because he lied to me about something important so I still have bad luck with dating. I've also traveled solo to a new country, met more amazing people, and am now a lot pickier about who I want to date and be friends with. For the most part, I don't care if I'm single or if someone doesn't like me or whatever. I've also learned to communicate better and learned about boundaries. I still have a lot of work to do but I'm definitely in a much better place now than I was five years ago, especially with how I feel about myself and my self-worth.
This is so impressive. Congrats on doing all that work on yourself. I've done similar work over the course of 10 years since my divorce. I also had PTSD and its no joke. Mine was caused by the recession and divorce at the same time. Moving across the country also caused me to lose friends and it has been extremely hard to make new ones these past 7 years. I feel very isolated. I've been on the meditation kick for the past year or so as well. It takes a long time to work (for me, anyway) but I think it will be worth it longer term. I also feel your pain with dating the wrong people. Same thing has happened to me to the point to where I no longer date and will be going overseas to find a wife in 2020.

Old 12-13-2019, 04:38 PM

130 posts, read 122,126 times
Five years ago, I was 56 and unemployed, having recently been laid off after 12 years from a job I loved. It was scary and somewhat exciting. I did some freelance editing work and learned front-end web development, hoping to start my own business, as I wasn't getting much response from potential employers. Literally one week before my unemployment benefits and severance pay ended, I got a job with another company started by people who had been laid off from my previous company over the years. I'm doing the same type of work, for a company that does the same thing, in an office near my previous one, with people I've known for up to two decades. At first, it felt like I'd stumbled into an alternate universe that was only slightly different from the previous one.

Old 12-18-2019, 07:15 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,779,718 times
Five years ago, I was almost 37. My marriage, looking back, was a bit shaky (it has improved a lot). We were less financially stable than we are now, and the kids were in their preteens/early teens, so there was that hormonal upheaval going on. We had just purchased our current home because our credit had just recovered after losing our previous home during the recession. Thinking about it, I was going through a growth period for sure.

Things have improved, for the most part. The kids are on the threshold of adulthood, hubby got a new job with increased earnings and I've built up my business more and also have increased earnings, we're debt-free except for our mortgage, I'm more sure of myself in some ways and struggling in different ways. I've been wanting to put aside some time to reflect over the last decade. Sometimes it can feel like things are stagnant, but then when you look back, you see a lot has changed.

Old 12-18-2019, 08:32 AM

922 posts, read 806,711 times
Five years ago was a whole different life. We were living in Colorado, in the same apartment complex as my daughter, son-in-law, and 4 year old granddaughter. My husband was working at a stable, and I spent time there playing with the baby miniature horses while he worked. Although I was disabled and poor, I was happy because I could spend time with my family. I had my dream car- a 1998 Forester, two cats, three aquariums full of fish, and my older granddaughter visited often.

I now live in a house in a small town in southeast Kansas. My daughter lives 500 miles away in the opposite corner of the state. Our two cats have passed, but we now have a dog and 6 new cats. The Forester is gone and we have an old Ford F150. I miss my family, but I love living in a more rural environment.

Five years ago, I could never have dreamed my life would be so totally changed into what it is now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology