Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2018, 10:37 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,057,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
I can't just walk away from all the bullies in my life, because that includes some close relatives. Wacko I have to decide about. There are pros and cons.
You absolutely can & should walk away from bullies in your family
if you have created and expressed your boundaries and they will not respect them.
Maybe explaining other examples of this bullying that you allow would help us.

Last edited by kelly237; 02-07-2018 at 10:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2018, 12:08 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,781,965 times
I haven't read the whole thread, but I was struck by your user name--Good4Nothin. If that's how you think of yourself, you may feel on some level that you deserve to be mistreated. Just a thought.

Old 02-07-2018, 12:29 PM

48,683 posts, read 35,163,373 times
Quote:
One way to bully someone is to not believe them, to see them as pathetic, and to recommend psychotherapy. It makes you feel like you have your own life figured out, and you are superior to someone.

Yeah, I suspect your definition of "bully" is very broad, at least compared to mine.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-07-2018, 12:48 PM

8,245 posts, read 3,455,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Yeah, I suspect your definition of "bully" is very broad, at least compared to mine.
I would define it as trying to dominate someone with anger, or subtle put-downs.

Old 02-07-2018, 12:50 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,289,025 times
Quote:
One way to bully someone is to not believe them, to see them as pathetic, and to recommend psychotherapy. It makes you feel like you have your own life figured out, and you are superior to someone.
Ya ummmmm no.

How, at 65, are you being bullied? This isn't a schoolyard. Do something about it!

Old 02-07-2018, 01:16 PM

3,393 posts, read 4,023,715 times
Quote:
We are compatible with music. And he praises me to high heaven about my songs. Hard to find that.

So in addition to bullying you, he is manipulating you. Yeah, definitely someone you want in your life.

Old 02-07-2018, 01:30 PM

995 posts, read 514,765 times
My answer to your dilemma is to turn your back and walk away. If there's somebody in my life who even *thinks* about manipulating me, or lies to me, or tries to belittle me in any way - that's when I turn into a block of ice - they ain't getting nowhere with me...lol.

It's real simple - anybody who's causing you grief, you just need to walk away. It doesn't matter how much yummy maple syrup they pour over your pancakes - all that talk how great your songs are, oh, you're so wonderful - and wham! - that nasty anger comes out - it's no way, Jose time.

Of course the choice is *yours* to make - nobody can do this for you. Be strong. Do what's right for you.

Old 02-07-2018, 01:41 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,968,185 times
Quote:
Don't assume I haven't already been through counseling, self help, peer counseling, self analysis, you name it. I am relatively happy.

I can't just walk away from all the bullies in my life, because that includes some close relatives. Wacko I have to decide about. There are pros and cons.
None of your posts indicate you're happy or that you've been through effective counseling. Go back and read them objectively.

Including this thing about every time you found something you liked, "bullies" ruined it for you.

Walking away?

How about just not being bullied?

Walking away is the easy path out, doesn't address the fundamental problem. But in the very least you should be able to walk away from annoying people.

I probably shouldn't be talking. The entire concept of being bullied is so foreign to me and something I cannot ever relate to. In fact, it's a new buzzword in the Millennial age. Along with "introvert".

Here you are all grateful for some idiot who treats you like crap because he compliments "your music".

Here's another tip: Stop "writing" to people to express your opinions and talk in person.

Why are the three of you "writing" your complaints to each other. That doesn't even make sense. And in a BAND?

Uh, not gonna work. Pipe dreams. And I know ALOT about bands since my family had a record label.

Old 02-07-2018, 02:20 PM

8,245 posts, read 3,455,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
None of your posts indicate you're happy or that you've been through effective counseling. Go back and read them objectively.

Including this thing about every time you found something you liked, "bullies" ruined it for you.

Walking away?

Walking away is the easy path out, doesn't address the fundamental problem. But in the very least you should be able to walk away from annoying people.

I probably shouldn't be talking. The entire concept of being bullied is so foreign to me and something I cannot ever relate to. In fact, it's a new buzzword in the Millennial age. Along with "introvert".

Here you are all grateful for some idiot who treats you like crap because he compliments "your music".

Here's another tip: Stop "writing" to people to express your opinions and talk in person.

Why are the three of you "writing" your complaints to each other. That doesn't even make sense. And in a BAND?

Uh, not gonna work. Pipe dreams. And I know ALOT about bands since my family had a record label.
We are retired, don't need to make money with a band. It would just be nice if people wanted to listen to us.

Old 02-07-2018, 02:21 PM

995 posts, read 514,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post

Walking away?

Gonna take issue what you said (in bold). Growing up in the 70's and 80's, bullies and being bullied were certainly buzz words of the day - it was a big issue back then, just like it is now. Same with "extroverts" and "introverts" - I was familiar with those terms and how they were used with people from grade school on. This is not new stuff, people - it's been going on for as long as humans have been interacting with each other.

It really all comes down to fear - fear of standing up to said bully and having enough strength to assert your own dignity. Yes, it took a huge amount of courage when I was 8 to stand up to the fat bully on the playground - but I did, and by golly, I ended up feeling guilty for hurting his feelings and making him go crying to his daddy....lol. But once that fear has been conquered, it gets a lot easier, trust me. In my world, there is no try - only do. Do what it takes to get that bully off your back.

However, the longer it goes on, the harder it gets - something else to keep in mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology