Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 06:21 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,285,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
I like to DO THINGS like reading books, driving a car, working around the house, taking my dog for a walk, etc.

And I will say that I can function MUCH BETTER to do those things if I am not on drugs or alcohol!
Me too. I have tried to explain to people that I like to be in full control of my faculties and that if I am impaired I feel like I miss out on simple pleasures that I would otherwise notice - like the feel of the sun on my skin, a breeze, the rustling of the leaves in the wind, etc. I guess it's more alcohol than pot that would cause you to be oblivious to things, but I think pot too - just in a different way. Or maybe you would hyperfocus on those things instead. Anyway, I think pot is a lot better than alcohol in about every way. I don't smoke it and I barely drink, but I'd much rather deal with a pothead than a drunk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2014, 07:56 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,904,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
So you are saying it doesn't cause brain damage? I know it can alter a young persons personality (to the detriment) and causes interrupted mental development. Then there are the effects on the lungs which be no different from cigarettes I suppose.

Heavy drinking versus heavy cannabis smoking - which is worse?
Moderate drinking versus moderate cannabis use - which is worse?

It is claimed that light to moderate alcohol consumption has health benefits. There is a list of benefits including lowering blood pressure and lowering stress.
No weed doesn't cause brain damage. It never altered my personality or interrupted my mental development - I started smoking 43 years ago. The effects on the lungs has been scientifically proven to have no adverse effects on the lungs. It has been shown that weed actually helps reverse the damage done to the lungs by cig smoke.

I would rather blaze everyday - and do - rather than get hammered on beer everyday. I hate a hangover and don't drink. If weed is ingested it lowers blood pressure and helps weight loss. It has to be ingested as you get the full effects of CBDs as well as THC. There is a whole science to it which is untapped since weed was made a schedule 1 drug. The government funds the worldwide war on drugs and weed is public enemy #1. Now the fun part..

Google "government marijuana report 1974" and look at all of the hits.

Then Google "Phoenix Tears" and pay attention to the name Rick Simpson.

I have had 4 brain tumor resections and radiation treatment. All of this came about a couple of years after my workplace gave us cell phones in the mid 90s. I know what cell phones are - microwave transmitters and not good for the brain. I have basically had done to me what Gabby Giffords did but mine was done via surgery at JHU, GWU and other hospitals. My R parietal cortex has been damaged. That sucks as I am a musician and the R side is the creative side. Smoking weed makes my brain work like it once did. My doctor is cool about it.

Old 06-13-2014, 08:02 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,956,083 times
No.

Old 06-13-2014, 08:47 PM

9,011 posts, read 13,855,937 times
As someone with social anxiety,alcohol helps me way better than weed.
So i guess i am already hyper conscious by default.
What alcohol does for me is that it gives me that extra "push",meaning i am able to look people in the eyes,hold a conversation,etc. In effect it dulls my senses and hyper -awareness.
With weed i become even more hyper aware,way more than if i was not high.

Old 06-13-2014, 09:01 PM

1,261 posts, read 2,148,228 times
To whoever gave me the rep point mentioning hash oil: PLEASE be careful. That stuff will get you higher than you can possibly imagine if you haven't tried it before. There's no danger, but you might get a little more than you bargained for. A tiny dab will knock you senseless, I promise you. I still remember my very first dab; I had to recite the Bene Gesserit litany against fear to calm myself down during the initial ten minutes of the high because it was coming on SO strong. And I wasn't exactly inexperienced with marijuana either.

Old 06-14-2014, 12:44 AM

11,051 posts, read 6,007,787 times
Quote:
Smoking weed makes my brain work like it once did.
Interesting. Thanks, armory.

Old 06-14-2014, 01:58 AM

5,519 posts, read 3,947,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
As someone with social anxiety,alcohol helps me way better than weed.
So i guess i am already hyper conscious by default.
What alcohol does for me is that it gives me that extra "push",meaning i am able to look people in the eyes,hold a conversation,etc. In effect it dulls my senses and hyper -awareness.
With weed i become even more hyper aware,way more than if i was not high.
rings true for me

Old 06-14-2014, 01:58 AM

732 posts, read 969,727 times
Alcohol has always dulled my awareness & consciousness, but maybe it was because whenever I drank I always drank in excess. I have mostly bad memories of drunk times (what I was able to remember anyway), so I'm very biased against alcohol.

I don't think moderate smoking of pot ever affected my consciousness or awareness much, but for sure the potent variety and the times I smoked a lot of it temporarily dulled my consciousness & awareness. Especially the first time I tried pot, it affected me in a noticeable way. I got scolded by a woman (whose sister shared her pot with me) accusing me of being drunk because she was worried I'd get her and the other adults in trouble because apparently I was acting drunk (I was 12 or 13, so I understood her worry and told her I wasn't drunk but was just feeling sick that night).

I doubt pot can cause brain damage, but if it can it must be so mild it goes unnoticed. I used to know (but lost touch with) a couple of lawyers who were chronic pot smokers.

For sure pot is MUCH MUCH safer than alcohol. Better to live with supposed mild if any brain damage than die of cirrhosis. Two of my uncles died of cirrhosis from alcoholism, and they suffered a lot before their deaths. What a horrible way to go.

As many pot smokers as I've known, ZERO died from pot or had adverse health effects from pot.

Except for my first time, pot made me happy and literally put a smile on my face. My friend's gf pointed out that she knew when I was stoned because she said I only smiled when I was stoned (which wasn't exactly true, I smiled & laughed at humorous things).

Aside from my first smoke of pot, the only other negative experiences I've had while on pot was when my friends, brother, others & I mixed pot with drinking and other drugs. The majority of the pot-only times were happy times.

I have bad memories of drunken times. Most of those bad memories were fights that broke out, some of which I didn't find out what started them! I ALWAYS got my a** kicked whenever fights broke out or someone picked a fight with me because I was a lightweight and drank to excess whenever I drank (vomited & passed out plenty of times). The violence alcohol can bring out in some people is one reason I didn't like being around strangers and certain "friends" when drinking was involved, when I used to drink.

I believe the senseless violence that can come so easily from some drunks is well-known in the fact that the terms "saloon fight" & "bar brawl" exist. Ever hear of a "marijuana dispensary brawl" or "pot brawl"? I never have.

Old 06-14-2014, 02:47 AM

11,051 posts, read 6,007,787 times
Quote:
I have bad memories of drunken times. Most of those bad memories were fights that broke out, some of which I didn't find out what started them! I ALWAYS got my a** kicked whenever fights broke out or someone picked a fight with me because I was a lightweight and drank to excess whenever I drank (vomited & passed out plenty of times). The violence alcohol can bring out in some people is one reason I didn't like being around strangers and certain "friends" when drinking was involved, when I used to drink.

I believe the senseless violence that can come so easily from some drunks is well-known in the fact that the terms "saloon fight" & "bar brawl" exist. Ever hear of a "marijuana dispensary brawl" or "pot brawl"? I never have.
The only bad memory I have of alcohol was when I mixed it with pot! I have little personal experience with pot. I can't disagree on the effects of alcohol on behaviour and violence. It never made me violent though.

Old 06-14-2014, 03:12 AM

732 posts, read 969,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
The only bad memory I have of alcohol was when I mixed it with pot! I have little personal experience with pot. I can't disagree on the effects of alcohol on behaviour and violence. It never made me violent though.
I have a lot of experience with drinking, pot, other drugs and mixtures of drugs & alcohol (but I don't do any of them anymore).

Alcohol doesn't make everyone violent, but it certainly does make some. It also causes people to do other stupid things, such as causes females to have sex with people they regret later. When I was a teen, some female friends & acquaintances ended up teen mothers because of drinking, and one of my friends decided to accuse another friend of rape because drinking made her do stupid things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology