Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 01:31 AM

2,438 posts, read 2,832,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenvilleMan View Post
Everytime I smoked weed, or ate brownies, it was different- depending on the kind.
But it was never a "bad high".

Most times it "opened" my senses; Everything tasted Better, Smelled Stronger, Touch Sensitivity
was Heightened, and my mind seemed to OPEN to the Universe in ways I cannot explain.

One has to try it themselves to understand; and even then, I believe that people are so
unique, that their experiences can NEVER be completely the same.

Other times, the weed made me giddy and laugh, and very 'active', and not so much
"high".

When I was a drunk, the alcohol made me lose touch with reality,
and I didn't think of consequences; I'd do or say ANYTHING, and would get myself
into TONS of trouble.
The more I drank, the less control I had, until things were a Blurr.
I guess you could say I'd lose control of my vision, lose control of my hand-eye coordination,
lose control of my equalibrium (walking, etc..) and lose control of my bodily functions.
I would slobber like crazy, and I semi-crapped my pants. :/
but didn't know it until I woke up in a room filled with strangers
who also passed-out.

If I had to choose between the 2, I'd say Cannabis is the better choice.

Yet... Alcohol is legal. Why? Maybe because it's a liquid drug that everyone wants.
And law enforcement makes billions from arresting people.
And it keeps emergency rooms busy.
Nope, not everyone wants it. I can't stand it. I tolerate it with other people ( just a couple people I know that are harmless) but no, not everyone wants it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2014, 02:22 AM

11,211 posts, read 6,137,164 times
Quote:
Either way, drinking and anti-depressants is mixture for death. That combination alone kills people every day
Interesting point. There are two drugs cited for increased suicide risk and those are paxil and effexor. The paxil is dangerous if stopped. Their are other drugs unrelated to antidepressants which are cited in causing suicides and attempted suicides weeks after starting them. This really just emphasizes the potency of these drugs. I don't know what the first antidepressant my son was put on. I did know once and when I looked it up it was clearly stated that if certain side effects occurred (which included suicidal thoughts) the medication was to be stopped immediately, yet he was told to continue and even increase the dose. He was not on antidepressants when he took his life. I wonder what role his alcohol played in his death? There was an unfinished bottle of spirits in his car when he was found. His flatmate did say that he had 'episodes' when drinking.

Quote:
Also, depressive symptoms can be brought on by excessive alcohol use, which makes it difficult to separate a substance-induced depression from an independent disorder of clinical depression. - See more at: http://www.psychiatrictimes.com/majo....35WT92yV.dpuf
Interesting.

On my alcohol consumption, I used to drink a stronger beer but in lower quantities then one day I decided to quit. After about six months I was diagnosed with clinical depression with the prognoses of being on antidepressants for the rest of my life. That seems to have been correct. It's curious that I developed the depression after stopping beer. Just a note; I distinguish between drinking beer and drinking spirits. Two different animals! I also distinguish between lite beer and normal beer. One cannot get drunk on lite beer (perhaps a slight beer buzz on an empty stomach). I think that in my case the alcohol was keeping my stress levels down and when the alcohol was gone the stress got to me. I'm talking years of stress from multiple sources. I finally succumbed, I guess one could say.

Last edited by 303Guy; 06-26-2014 at 03:09 AM..

Old 06-26-2014, 11:25 AM

56 posts, read 180,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
Interesting point. There are two drugs cited for increased suicide risk and those are paxil and effexor. The paxil is dangerous if stopped. Their are other drugs unrelated to antidepressants which are cited in causing suicides and attempted suicides weeks after starting them.....
Whatever you do, DO NOT TAKE "DEPAKOTE" for Depression.

I went through depression (too) when I stopped drinking,
and the Depakote made me want to kill myself.

I seriously just LAY there. In bed. Staring at the walls.
Blankets pulled up to my chin. And watched the room grow darker and darker.
It seemed to creep up around me, and 'into' me.
And I lay there wanting to die, and was even thinking of how I wanted
to die and how I would do it...

If only I could get out of bed. !

That's the only thing that stopped me; not being able to Mentally,
to get out of bed .
It was the most awful 2 days of my life, as far as medications
and depression go.

I quickly got off that crap once I was able to come-down off of it.
The doctor prescribed me Strattera and Trileptal (Trileptal is for epilepsy, but also used
as a mood stabilizer; it gives the exact same feeling/buzz of drinking)

And I've been good ever since.

Old 06-26-2014, 01:34 PM

3,565 posts, read 8,034,816 times
Quote:
Everytime I smoked weed, or ate brownies, it was different- depending on the kind.
But it was never a "bad high".

Most times it "opened" my senses; Everything tasted Better, Smelled Stronger, Touch Sensitivity
was Heightened, and my mind seemed to OPEN to the Universe in ways I cannot explain.

One has to try it themselves to understand; and even then, I believe that people are so
unique, that their experiences can NEVER be completely the same.

Other times, the weed made me giddy and laugh, and very 'active', and not so much
"high".

When I was a drunk, the alcohol made me lose touch with reality,
and I didn't think of consequences; I'd do or say ANYTHING, and would get myself
into TONS of trouble.
The more I drank, the less control I had; my senses were "dumbed" ; things were a Blurr.
I guess you could say I'd lose control of my vision, lose control of my hand-eye coordination,
lose control of my equalibrium (walking, etc..) and lose control of my bodily functions.
I would slobber like crazy, and I semi-crapped my pants. :/
but didn't know it until I woke up in a room filled with strangers
who also passed-out.

If I had to choose between the 2, I'd say Cannabis is the better choice.

Yet... Alcohol is legal. Why? Maybe because it's a liquid drug that everyone wants.
And law enforcement makes billions from arresting people.
And it keeps emergency rooms busy.
You've basically described exactly what I was talking about. As for me having "bad highs", I still wonder if it "more conscious" part or being more "open to the universe" is somehow what causes the anxiety and paranoia. After being the other direction so long with alcohol, I really think the weed pulling me so strongly in the the other direction, something I'm not used to, could be the cause.

I don't agree with you about alcohol though. I don't see any need to use alcohol as a pedestal for marijuana, and I do believe marijuana is illegal for a reason.

Old 06-26-2014, 01:57 PM

Arrow Paranoia is cause by the fact that Cannabis is ILLEGAL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
You've basically described exactly what I was talking about. As for me having "bad highs", I still wonder if it "more conscious" part or being more "open to the universe" is somehow what causes the anxiety and paranoia. After being the other direction so long with alcohol, I really think the weed pulling me so strongly in the the other direction, something I'm not used to, could be the cause.

I don't agree with you about alcohol though. I don't see any need to use alcohol as a pedestal for marijuana, and I do believe marijuana is illegal for a reason.
What causes "Paranoia" is the fact that Cannabis Opens ALL the senses.

And if you begin to fear being caught (because it is illegal and can land you in jail; or because others
might know you are 'high')
then THAT is where the Paranoia comes from. But it is HEIGHTENED .

In Colorado and California, where people have been smoking for years now
(when it was just medical, and now Legal)
people don't get the Paranoia.

I know, coz I have lived in BOTH. And smoked in BOTH.

I only EVER got paranoid when I was smoking in Texas and HERE,
when I didn't have a Medical Marijuana card. (Chicago)
Now I don't have that fear.

And when you know you are doing nothing wrong, you don't worry, and
you are able to enjoy connecting with the world around you.

Cannabis is not the problem. Keeping it Illegal is.

Old 06-26-2014, 02:25 PM

Quote:
What causes "Paranoia" is the fact that Cannabis Opens ALL the senses.

And if you begin to fear being caught (because it is illegal and can land you in jail; or because others
might know you are 'high')
then THAT is where the Paranoia comes from. But it is HEIGHTENED .

In Colorado and California, where people have been smoking for years now
(when it was just medical, and now Legal)
people don't get the Paranoia.

I know, coz I have lived in BOTH. And smoked in BOTH.

I only EVER got paranoid when I was smoking in Texas and HERE,
when I didn't have a Medical Marijuana card. (Chicago)
Now I don't have that fear.

And when you know you are doing nothing wrong, you don't worry, and
you are able to enjoy connecting with the world around you.

Cannabis is not the problem. Keeping it Illegal is.
Fear of being caught? I'm so far from that mindset the fact people even think like that doesn't occur to me. Marijuana is practically legal in the hood, is widespread, is smoked in public, and gets delivered all day long like pizza. I'm not exactly proud of where I grew up, but seriously, afraid of getting caught? That's pretty funny. And it's not just where I grew up that shaped me in regard to this, but also my personality. I can understand why some people would have that sort of fear, but from another angle what you said sort of sounds like a sorry attempt to promote legalization. The fact marijuana is illegal is not the root of why it causes paranoia, although I don't doubt that's one thing some people's paranoia centers around. By the way, if you read my original post, you'll see that when I was in my smoking phase an did so heavily, I did not experience paranoia. And I didn't experience paranoia at all. That's when I was younger (19) and it was new to me. So your theory, regarding me at least, just doesn't make sense. It wasn't until after I started and had been drinking heavily for some time, after moving on from marijuana to alcohol, that marijuana started causing nervousness and paranoia.

Old 06-26-2014, 11:36 PM

11,211 posts, read 6,137,164 times
Quote:
... after moving on from marijuana to alcohol, that marijuana started causing nervousness and paranoia.
Maybe mixing the two is the problem?

I've been on Strattera for being unable to 'wake up' properly and it worked! It does have undesirable side effects like sensitization (my allergies went into hyperdrive!) Mirtazapine on the other hand desensitizes and now I don't even feel a mosquito bite! Long term use of Strattera is not recommended (by the manufactures and me).

Old 06-27-2014, 12:40 AM

331 posts, read 550,030 times
The effect I get from alcohol depends greatly on my state of mind beforehand. Back when I was very confident and optimistic about my life, I would drink and it would enhance those positive feelings. When I became depressed and pessimistic about my life, I would drink and it would make me more depressed and cause me to go on self-pitying rants (to the annoyance of my friends). Shared between those types of drunkenness are the positive feelings of physical warmth, decreased physical pain, increased energy and talkativeness, spontaneity and inhibition. It's no wonder that alcohol is the most popular drug in the world.

The feeling of being high on marijuana was interesting and fun whenever I tried it, but I always wanted to become "unhigh" after not too long. To me, it feels like when you're half-dreaming and you feel like your unconscious mind has taken control and is generating weird connections between things. It does put you in a child-like state where everything you look at seems interesting.

You never really know if the thoughts you're having are ones you would've had if you weren't high. For example, one time I was high at a restaurant and I noticed how the group I was eating with was very heterogenous (in appearance, demeanor, etc.) while the groups at other tables seemed very homogenous. Which caused me to contemplate why my group of friends was so different. Would I have thought all that weird stuff if I wasn't stoned? Can't say for sure. I sometimes think of strange things while I'm sober.

I think all drugs make you feel like reached some elevated state of consciousness. If I want to feel unconscious, I'll just go to sleep.

Old 06-27-2014, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
Fear of being caught? I'm so far from that mindset the fact people even think like that doesn't occur to me. Marijuana is practically legal in the hood, is widespread, is smoked in public, and gets delivered all day long like pizza. I'm not exactly proud of where I grew up, but seriously, afraid of getting caught? That's pretty funny. And it's not just where I grew up that shaped me in regard to this, but also my personality. I can understand why some people would have that sort of fear, but from another angle what you said sort of sounds like a sorry attempt to promote legalization. The fact marijuana is illegal is not the root of why it causes paranoia, although I don't doubt that's one thing some people's paranoia centers around. By the way, if you read my original post, you'll see that when I was in my smoking phase an did so heavily, I did not experience paranoia. And I didn't experience paranoia at all. That's when I was younger (19) and it was new to me. So your theory, regarding me at least, just doesn't make sense. It wasn't until after I started and had been drinking heavily for some time, after moving on from marijuana to alcohol, that marijuana started causing nervousness and paranoia.
So, when you were 19, your parents were ok with it?
And you were smoking out in the open?

I don't know what "sorry" attempt you're talking about,
but I was just adding to your thread to enlighten people.

you can shove this thread up your brown eye.

Go argue with someone else.

Old 06-27-2014, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
Maybe mixing the two is the problem?

No, mixing isn't the problem at all. Marijuana alone affected me very different after some point.

Quote:
So, when you were 19, your parents were ok with it?
And you were smoking out in the open?

I don't know what "sorry" attempt you're talking about,
but I was just adding to your thread to enlighten people.

you can shove this thread up your brown eye.

Go argue with someone else.
Sorry if I come across like an ass. etc. But the issue of being afraid of getting caught was not one that I had. In fact, I was very bold about it and confident in my choice to smoke at the time. I used to smoke at the bus stop in the middle of downtown Kansas City. I also kind of got my friends to get it out in the open too with rhetoric along the lines of "it's no big deal", nothing to hide. I'm really wanting to think being afraid of getting caught is not the root of why marijuana causes paranoia. But I'm considering it. I could be wrong. You may very well be right. It certainly isn't why it causes nervousness and paranoia in me, but maybe the underlying fear of getting caught does do that to some people and if they were somewhere where it was legal or just somehow rid themselves of the fear of getting caught, maybe it wouldn't cause then any paranoia anymore. I do agree with the rest of your prior post though. I think the anxiety and paranoia has something to do with its effect of "opening up all your senses".

Last edited by MOKAN; 06-27-2014 at 02:13 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology